Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-07-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Slanted

Slanted is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone. After many failed attempts to find a mud with slightly stricter criteria, I have narrowed down my desire to the following attributes in a mud. Please suggest any you can find... and I would be especially appreciative if you could point me toward some documentation on the crafting system:

What I would like in a mud:

1) A complex crafting system for many different crafts that does not rely heavily on roundtime. I like long involved processes, but I hate when a crafting system's only gimmic is that everything takes 100+ seconds of boring roundtime. I would rather fill that time doing other random tasks. It would be even better if the processes varied with each crafting based on some random value. That way I wouldn't feel shafted by scripters. As I said earlier, I also like a variety of crafts. I would like to make a sword early in the morning, and in the evening fly it to my client on an animal I have crossbred to be the ultimate arial equipment hauling animal. I am more than willing to put in time on creating items as long as the processes are not boring.

2) Roleplay required world. No offense to any non-RP people, but I find I enjoy games that force everyone to roleply a lot more than those which do not. Nothing makes me want to quit a game more than getting private messages by someone who can only communicate in D3wd speak.

3) At least enough people that I will have the opportunity to talk to one or two of them anytime I log on. I don't need a huge game, but if I wanted to play a single player game, I would just do that instead.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
Slanted
Slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
Ogma

Home MUD: DartMUD
Ogma is on a distinguished road
Have you tried Dartmud?
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:59 PM   #3
Eternal

Eternal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Eternal
Have you considered ArmageddonMUD?

The crafting system is excellent, and is still constantly growing thanks to input from players and the diligence of the staff. Basically you gain raw materials by foraging, chopping trees, hunting and skinning beasts, etc, then can tan/dye/carve them into another product, and more elaborate pieces come to you as you advance in skill and knowledge. You can even analyze objects that you buy/find in game, and discern what they are made from. It's a truly amazing addition to our game.

Roleplay is enforced, meaning no channels, very strict rp requirements, and a steep learning curve for most new players. Not to worry, there are Helpers who can help you through such sources as email and instant messagers... needless to say ooc communication in the game is highly frowned upon.

Armageddon has between 50 and 70 people on most evenings, and 20-40 most other times (though that varies). You are practically guaranteed to encounter at least one other person every time you log on... but it is a harsh, desert world, and such encounters aren't always friendly. Everything in the game occurs in character, and the players are the greatest driving force behind the game.

I suggest going to the GDB and reading up on things, it's an ooc forum that most players are more than willing to discuss just about anything on.

Eternal
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
DariusCardren

DariusCardren is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to DariusCardren Send a message via AIM to DariusCardren Send a message via MSN to DariusCardren
Arrow

Adventures Unlimited also had a craftign system in the middle of being imped... though our tradeskills have a bout 3-6 months to go till compleate I believe... but my Imp could tell you better.
DariusCardren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
Slanted

Slanted is on a distinguished road
Well, I tried Dartmud and didn't quite care for it. The MUD school was excellent, but when I finally got in the game I couldn't find a single person engaging in any in character activity. Most of them were just prattling on in the OOC channel (and I mean for a good few minutes), and the one person I found who wasn't using that channel kept speaking in an OOC manner. I know it was just a first impression, but those really count, so I gave it up.

I am a bit leary about armageddon for some reason. I think permadeath is just a bit much for me, but I will give it a try. I like the idea of helpers, I am usually totally lost when it comes to starting in a new MUD.

As for adventures unlimited, I will check back in a few months to see if they have the system totally implemented... or who knows, maybe I will log on now and see if I can contribute to its completion... I guess it depends on how much I care for the Armageddon system.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. If anyone has more, please let me know.
Slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:16 PM   #6
The Vorpal Tribble

The Vorpal Tribble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Vorpal Tribble
Well, I would also suggest Accursed Lands ( Port: 8888 or 8000) we have everything from stone carving and mining to logging, smelting, forging, whittling, leather working and glass making skills which all have dozens of craftable objects etc. We normally have 15-30 logged in at any given time, but whether you'll meet them ofton or not depends on the time of day and whatever species you pick. Some objects are quite hard to make, however, and you will see a bit of repitition, but you can RP just fine as you do it (AL is also RP mandatory). Check us out, we might have what you like.
The Vorpal Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
Quietude

Quietude is on a distinguished road
If you are willing to try a pay MUD, I think you might like Inferno () -- it has the best crafting system I've come across, and it is RP enforced. Back when I was playing, the people logged on averaged around 40 at peak times; it's been a while since I played, though, so that might have changed.

The crafting system doesn't just rely on round time, although each step involves some. For example, with weaving, you need to forage fibers, spin them into yarn with a spinning wheel, weave different yarns into different cloths on a loom, dye the cloth with various parts skinned off animals, sew the cloth into the article of clothing you want, and then add buttons or whatever other ornamentation you're going for.

Advancement for a crafter is very slow, and while there are a multitude of crafts (weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, leather armor crafting, bow carving, weaving, jewelry making, and ore smelting are all crafts proper, and there are other skills like herb lore, animal training, and mining that have some crafting-like aspects), you would end up focusing strongly on one for some time if you wanted to be good enough to sell things. If you're looking for a great deal of variety right from the start, it's not the game for you, but you can get there with time.
Quietude is offline   Reply With Quote

Seeking RP Mud w/Great Crafting System - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crafting system KaVir Advanced MUD Concepts 22 04-15-2005 03:39 AM
Great mud seeking players!! less than sacred Advertising for Players 50 09-14-2003 03:44 AM
access to crafting Terloch MUD Coding 3 09-12-2003 11:42 PM
What is it with crafting? Kallekins Tavern of the Blue Hand 34 03-18-2003 08:22 PM
Crafting and RP MU**s Sapphar Advertising for Players 6 08-27-2002 07:04 PM