Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 07-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Kuchenko

Kuchenko is on a distinguished road
Unwritten Legends: Searching for Player Testers.

Unwritten Legends is a renaissance-era RP-Enforced MUD with some clockpunk influence. Vividly described and full of unique locales and various avenues of advancement, UL is a unique MUD all to itself. Unlike the mainstream “Hack-and-Slash” MUDs you see out there, this world is full of new and exciting possibilities every day. Staff-run storylines, Player run storylines, room for customization of the characters, and even one-of-a-kind items. There are several official organizations to join, such as The Imperial Guard, The Royal Guard, Newspaper, and a Mechanist Guild. With the ability to start your own Player Organizations, the possibilities are truly endless. Constantly changing and advancing, this game is still in development, but is always in need of players to test and explore the world as it grows.

• Sixteen unique character classes, including Mechanist, Illusionist, and Monk
• Developing combat system with unique abilities by class.
• A level up system designed to facilitate roleplaying.
• Limited crafting system with more in the works, alongside an intricate dungeon system.
• In-Depth history and extensive Lore for the world setting.
• 11 Races and 48 Subraces playable.
• Limited Nobility
• Limited PC police force
• No unwilling permadeath
• Hybrid Skillgain System
• Everything in UL is beautifully described.
• Many cities, each with their own unique flavor.

Kuchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Unwritten Legends: Searching for Player Testers.

UL is STILL in testing? Sheesh it's been in testing since 1997. If it's not ready for gold yet, maybe you should call it a day? Or maybe it -is- gold, but you're pretending it's in testing for some reason?

Honestly - if it can't succeed after 14 years of testing, it's not going to succeed.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Kuchenko

Kuchenko is on a distinguished road

Your opinion is noted. However, it is still in testing because they refuse to call it a finished product until it is completely finished. The game itself is perfectly functional, and runs smoothly. They are simply adding things and attempting to fully complete the game before they "release" it.

There is no limit on who can join based on hardware or software limitations, even first time MUDders can join.

The game is still in testing simply because of the coding staff's dedication to excellence.

Thank you.
Kuchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

Muds are never "completely finished" - if you stop developing them, they stagnate and die.

Take a look at even the most polished muds, and you'll see the popular ones regularly introduce new content.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

Exactly. Once a game is "finished," it's "done." Meaning, there's no point in keeping it open any more, nothing more can be done with it, time to close shop.

The point of a mud is to make a continuation that never ends. That includes code, storyline, character development. If it ends, by definition, it is over.

Unwritten Legends is only in "testing" in the minds of its producers, because the producers have isolated themselves from the rest of the mudding world and don't understand that what their game experiences, is what "gold" (available and no longer in testing) is SUPPOSED to be.

That's one of the many reasons why I stopped playing, years ago. Because the producers refused to accept the reality of the mudding world, which has evolved in spades while their game continued to improve in baby steps all in the name of "testing."
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

If the mud is actively recruiting players, unrestricted in quantity or type, for the purpose of playing the game for solely recreational purposes and not testing any specific features or finding bugs, the game is out of the testing phase. Sure, players will always come across bugs or do things that cause various features to need to be added, removed, or modified, and I hope to God that there will always be new content in the works and being added, in any mud. No mud is ever "done." But there comes a point where a mud that declares itself to be "in testing" perpetually looks like it's trying to hide behind this to delude players in case they find something buggy or something they don't like. Even if that's not the case, it looks that way when a mud that is clearly fully operational and is just plain being played, not tested, is perpetually declared to be in testing.

I never got around to playing this mud because I was turned off at the prospect of having to fill out an application to play. Don't get me wrong. I'm in my 30s, employed, a great RPer, and an experienced mudder with a valid e-mail address. I have nothing to hide and no problem with the staff of this mud or any mud knowing who's accessing their system. But I am seriously, seriously turned off at the idea that I would to have to fill out paperwork and wait for permission to access a recreational game on the internet -- not for the usual reasons, like the mud being a hardcore RP mud and requiring a good character concept that fits with their theme and background -- but becuase the mud is "in testing." What the hell?
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Erisine

Erisine is on a distinguished road

I was going to write off the earlier poster as being someone who was incredibly impatient, and then I went over and had a look (since I'm looking for a new game myself).

Assuming someone was patient enough to sit on their hands while their application for play was approved, there is this issue:

"Any applications with web-based email will not be accepted."

I have to wonder just how many Average Joe's on the internet you've just flushed down the toilet. I hate to tell you, but the days of umpteen AOL addresses are mostly gone -- very few people actually use their ISP email address, and if they do, it's usually for "important stuff." Your primary audience is a tech-savvy one, so you're far more likely to run into them using than you are for their gaming or trial addresses. Some ISPs do not even issue email addresses anymore, and some will issue addresses to anyone, regardless of service. Your purpose for doing this -- to stop multiple accounts -- is blown out of the water when you consider it's entirely possible for someone to create multiple accounts from an ISP domain without paying extra money.

Furthermore, there are much better, less restricting ways, to enforce a no-multiaccount policy. In the end, all you are doing by filtering email addresses is blocking the non-hacker-elite gamer from your game, since the one who knows his way around the net is going to be able to get on anyway via spoof addresses and proxies.

Furthermore, your OOC application crosses the IC-OOC barrer, which is pretty much a red flag for a lot of people who are seeking RP games. The questions are worded in such a way that you pidgeon-hole players into feeling obligated to pick and play a particular character-type before they are even allowed onto the game. They have to pick possible character names, potential gods, and profession, but no one actually knows what the gameplay for these things are until they get in. While it's conceivable that you are looking for certain "character types" to "test" certain areas of the game, this can be done by posting and seeking willing volunteers (a much more straight-forward method). If your game really is in testing, this data is irrelevant since the PURPOSE OF PLAY is to TEST and not to ROLEPLAY.

Lastly, the application is terribly invasive. Why is Unwritten Legends collecting so much demographic data, and why is this data not optional? Things like my last name, city, state, and country of origin are of no use to you -- and neither is my gender. And while they are optional, how many actually report their AIM or phone numbers to your MUD, along with alternative emails? What would the game EVER use these for?

You can debate asking for a DOB if you are limiting the game to those 18+ and older; however, without an actual legal notice and agreement (which you do not have) letting people know what your age policy is, there is no point in this since someone 13 can lie about their DOB and say they had no idea that your game didn't allow minors to log in and start yiff'ing away.

Ok, all ranting aside, it reflects on you poorly when the VERY FIRST THING a person sees is badly designed. Clean up the application, and make it short and inviting. I should want to fill out that app. If your rapp is this annoying and restrictive, what is your gameplay like? Your staff? Your other players?
Erisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
SnowTroll

I'd like to be able to agree with the poster above and say that if this particular mud's application was less onerous and annoying, I'd try the mud out, but honestly, even if the application were just one line (i.e. "Put your e-mail address here, and we'll e-mail you an account password to get started in the game"), I still wouldn't bother. There are over a hundred muds I can log into, right now, that are just as good or better, where I can access the game immediately, start asking questions of players and staff while creating a character right away, in real time, if I need the help, then jump right into the game and start playing and having fun. Unless this mud is the best thing since sliced bread, I would be too put off and annoyed to be expected to go through any actual trouble to log in and play.

What irks me more about this application is that the mud pretends that it's in some kind of testing phase as an excuse for requiring this step, pretending that this is an application for becoming a tester. That's just not the case. The mud owners clearly have this application process in place as a means for rule enforcement. They don't allow multiple accounts, so they want every player that logs in to give his or her real name and e-mail address to let them track players. This is why they don't allow publicly available e-mail addresses (do they have any idea how many millions of people in the world use gmail and yahoo as their primary e-mail addresses that they're excluding from playing?) They're deathly afraid people will try to cheat their free, text-based internet game by making multiple accounts. But they have the gall to try to lie to me by telling me that this is a tester application, for a mud that is clearly not in testing, when it's obviously an attempt at rule enforcement. Just log IP addresses like every other mud out there. Geez.

Here's the best part. When I brought up this application issue in another thread, do you know what one of the players there told me? He or she said not to worry, and that the administration there doesn't verify any of the information. They have no way of knowing how old I am, and I could put whatever e-mail address I want. He or she had done this for a long time without getting into any trouble. I was actually a little miffed that this player assumed I was put off because I was a kid who wanted to hide my identity, give a false e-mail address, and cheat by creating multiple accounts, like this player was.

What the hell? So not only do I have to fill out an application to get in, but when I finally get there, the mud is going to have a bunch of underage, cheating kids running around, who probably have as much respect for roleplaying and the game atmosphere as they do for the application process?

Last edited by SnowTroll : 07-11-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road

Anyone who wants more than 5 characters is insane.
It's pretty impossible to cheat at the game.
All of the players respect the RP environment just fine.
Since it's a small mud, the idiots tend not to notice Ul.

Other thing, I got in just fine with gmail.

Anyway, why so much venom for a game you've never played?

Last edited by Ghostcat : 07-11-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
SnowTroll

Maybe I'm being a little bit hard on the mud for a technicality, but I have a few principles when it comes to the online games I play. Online games should be inviting and easy to get into, especially if they want to attract players. Online games should be transparent and honest with the players they're trying to attract; Don't tell me I'm applying to be a tester when the application I'm presented with is really just to prevent cheating. And don't tell me all of this information is required of me and that players can't get in any other way, then fail to enforce any of that.

I have no beef with Unwritten Legends in particular. I'd gripe about this situation with any mud. There are a lot of things on the website that make the game sound interesting (which makes the stupidity in the above paragraph even more frustrating). It's just horrificly bad policy to advertise for new players, then greet these new players with a lengthy application, make them feel scrutinized and unwelcome by telling them that some of the most commony used e-mail domains aren't acceptable (even if they wholly fail to enforce this), and claim that the mud is still in testing (thus allegedly not fully ready for serious playing), all as part of an obviously deceptive system in which the so-called tester application is used to police cheating via multiple accounts and has nothing to do with testing any part of the game. Then not even use the application information for that purpose, because the whole process is just there as a deterrent for cheating with no intention of actually enforcing it. Well, the stupid process deterred a few real players instead.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Erisine

Erisine is on a distinguished road

I likely came off more acidic than I meant to be -- but I hope the game administrators take my post constructively. It would take them about half a day to evaluate what data on that application that they actually need and alter it. It would instantly make it more inviting.

If they are going to allow people with a gmail account, then they need to remove the ISP email requirement. It's mentioned at least twice on the application and seems to take center place in a "NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!" sort of way. Even TMS has exceptions and a way to create an account with an non-ISP address -- but unlike TMS, this game is competing with several others and can not really afford to go, "Wait x days first."

I would recommend moving the demographic data -- the stuff they DON'T need -- to an in-game menu and make it optional. Maybe provide a prize to people who actually take the time to fill it out, if the game owners really want people to provide that data. And stick to demographics that will help tailor the game -- like, country of origin or spoken language -- and avoid stuff that the game will never, ever use (like a phone number or AIM).

Strip the "what kind of character..." questions out ENTIRELY. Instead, if the game admins need to move the population around to test a certain area out, they should post open roles in those areas that current players can apply for a second character to get. If this is all in the name of testing, then this should be more than acceptable.
Erisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
Ghostcat

How do you know it's to fight cheating?

Like I said, having multiple accounts is pointless, as you can carry 5 chars on one, and anyone with more than 2 will likely not hit the level cap with any of them.

Levels aside, keeping the RP separate gets very hard with a small population.

I've heard no admin word on exactly what the info is used for, actually.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

Well according to their TMS listing they've got an average of 51-75 players online at any given time, so they must be doing something right.

But generally I agree - if they're that popular now, despite the brutal entry barrier, making the game more accessable to newbies could give their playerbase a major boost.

I've not used my ISP email address for several years, and I'm not sure if I can even access it any more. But even if I could, I'm generally very loath to identify myself on muds - when I do I often draw attention from staff, sometimes positive sometimes negative, and if I'm there to play all I really want is to be treated like any other player.

You can actually work out the country from the IP address with a fair degree of accuracy - it's not perfect, but it's probably more reliable than asking people. I collect quite a bit of data myself, as it's useful for planning events and shaping development decisions.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Ghostcat

In the interest of honesty, I don't think the tms listing has been updated in years.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
Velleity

Velleity is on a distinguished road

So it seems as if the original recruitment purpose of the thread ended up being pretty well derailed by the responses, however relevant some of them may have been.

Erisine, your comments were really pretty constructive, and I wish I were in a position to actually address some of those issues you've pointed out. I will agree that the application does look overly serious and even intimidating -- as if this were all some incredibly solemn affair and you were likely to be deemed disgustingly unsuitable unless you made the best of all possible impressions. From what I can tell, this is not really the case, and I don't think anyone actually gets horrifically judged when they submit their application, contrary to appearances.

For my part, I don't recall being terribly bothered by the form or the process when I first signed up to play years ago. I wanted to play, but I wasn't especially antsy about it and at least I had time to read up on the lore while I waited to be accepted. I'll admit that I don't especially like it when any game tries to pin me down by making me choose a race and class up front, though I suppose ideally this would also make people at least glance over the lore before trying to leap into the game. I don't think the answer to these questions even makes that big a difference, since as far as I can tell people nowadays are nearly always allowed to play whatever race and class they like as long as they adhere to the lore for the race, class, and game world in general.

As for the "testing" designation being just a front for unreasonable rule enforcement, this doesn't seem to me to be the case. Preposterous as some may find it, Unwritten Legends *is* still considered in testing, as there's been a pretty massive overhaul of mechanics in the last couple of years. The game has been fortunate enough to have a very creative and dedicated lead coder during this time, so there really has been enormous change -- for the better, I might add! -- since those relatively long-ago days when I started playing.

I'm not going to be ridiculous and claim that UL (and in fact pretty much every other game I've ever played) hasn't had its problems and issues. Of course it has; nothing's perfect. But imperfections and all, I've stuck with this particular MUD for the last several years because I've enjoyed it above all other MUDs I've ever played, and overall have been deeply satisfied with the experience. So in the next post I will outline -- at some length, I'll admit -- what I find most compelling about the game, along with some of its strengths and weaknesses. I like knowing what I'm getting into with a new game, and obviously not every game is going to be equally appealing to everybody. But I think if people can get past the application process and the whole "in testing" thing, UL has a lot to be enjoyed.
Velleity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Velleity

So on with the shameless promotionalizing:

~ * ~ Things that I love about Unwritten Legends ~ * ~

-- The roleplay: it's definitely at the top of the list. This game has consistently had some of the best RPers (players and staff alike) that I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with. Many of these characters feel absolutely real, with personal quirks and ways of reacting to the world and the people around them that are just an absolute delight. I've never had so much fun RPing in any MUD as I've had in UL.

-- The level of detail, and high quality of the writing. Not only are there thousands of rooms in UL, but they're all described in an amazing amount of detail. Some of them are squalid, some of them are beautiful, but the writing is amazing in nearly all of them. And when you enter a room, you're not even stuck with just that surface layer of description, you can actually look at and even interact with most of the objects described in the room. None of that "you see nothing unusual" nonsense. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

-- The Stuff that you can buy (or find). First of all, there's so much of it -- weaponry, furniture, jewelry, books, food and drink, cutlery, knick-knacks, painting supplies, toys, games that you can actually play with other people, more types of clothing than I can name.. and that's just off the top of my head. There's custom ordering for clothing and furniture that lets you choose the style, color, and/or type of material your item is made out of. Even the things that come straight off the shop rack are amazing, since they also have different styles, colors, and materials associated with them. And your character doesn't have to own twenty full bank accounts in order to buy one interesting dress or coat.

-- There's weather, and you can see time passing. The sun and moons rise and set, the moons wax and wane, clouds drift across the sky, ponds freeze over, thunderstorms rage, etc etc. Also, many of the room descriptions change based on whether it's day or night. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's way cool.

-- Speaking of time: game time follows real time. I love this, personally. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate it when RL takes me out of the game for a few days, and suddenly I'm stuck having to account for why my character's been absent for WEEKS. Heck, I don't like having to log off at night and then come back the next day and have to answer for the three to six days that have suddenly slipped away from my character's life since I last saw them.

-- The lore. I'm not sure why it took me this long to get to this part, but wow, the lore is pretty amazing. To illustrate, take humans. Humans are always the boring, generic, throw-away race in RPGs, with cultures about as unique and distinctive as mud. Right? But in UL, this is not so! The human cultures of Thrael actually have diversity that reflects the richness of real-life cultures, from Timbuktu-style African trade empires to your standard Middle Age Western Europeans. And all the other races, and their respective countries, have equally well developed lore. There are even three different religious pantheons for the three dominant cultural styles of the game (European, Asian, and Middle Eastern/African). So even though the game is based in a more or less standard fantasy setting, there is a distinct historical flavor to much of the world that makes it feel more interesting and real.

-- Character customization. I've perennially been frustrated by character generators that allow you the end result of "You are a blue-eyed brunette elf," or "You are a halfling with mismatched green and brown eyes and black hair." And that's the end of it. Your character is a mostly featureless blob accented by a pair of eyes and sprouting hair. UL's chargen gives you those old standbys of eye and hair color, but it also allows you to set a large number of other traits (e.g., eye expression, nose shape, body type, hairstyle) by choosing from an extensive list of possible descriptors. Players can even set a general height (very short, average, etc.) for their character, so you know whether you can look down your nose at someone or have to crane your neck back just to view their chin.

-- The fact that you can make a difference. Characters have quite a lot of opportunity to stage events for themselves and others, from theatrical performances to banquets to scientific experiments to scavenger hunts, and usually it's possible to get staff support for any props that might be needed. Staff-run plots are generally significantly affected by the actions of the players rather than having a set script, and players themselves often develop and run their own storylines. There are also opportunities to contribute to lore and to design new objects for the game. Also, the advantage of being in testing phase means that players continually possess the ability to help determine where the game actually goes!

-- Random Things: Racial languages you can learn by listening and practice. Canvases you can paint and books you can write in. A delivery system to move objects and money between players who are in the game at different times and in different places. An emote system that doesn't mark off those emotes as something separate or somehow less legitimate than coded verbs. A pose command that lets players set a status emote seen whenever someone looks at the room. Rentable inn rooms to put items and furniture in, or entertain guests. Cool class abilities like teleportation or demon summoning. Monster loot tables with wonderfully random objects. Zillions of forageable plants all over the landscape. Lots of other stuff that I forget.

~ * ~ The Downside (because it can't be all sunshine and roses) ~ * ~

-- Fairly simple mechanics. Combat is relatively simplistic compared to some other games and there's not a lot of strategy involved, though there are more spells and abilities currently in development. The system as it stands is satisfying enough, but nothing extraordinary. A crafting system is also in progress, but a lot of it isn't implemented yet.

-- Combat-based levelling. I like combat/hunting all right, but it's not really my favorite thing to do for extended periods of time. There are other ways to gain experience by which to level -- fishing is actually a fairly viable system for this if you sink the time into it -- but they're much, much slower than hunting. Getting rewarded for RP can net you some reasonably good XP, but of course someone actually has to notice this or actively bring it to staff attention.

-- Small player base. Personally, I like a fairly small player base, but during off hours the number of players can nosedive. Also, inexplicably, a bunch of people always decide over the summer that they have actual lives outside the internet and temporarily abandon the game for the Real World. Really, the nerve of those people. During my time playing the game, probably between 15-30 people on at once has been usual during prime hours, with maybe 40 or a bit more possible during special events. Sometimes, though, the numbers can drop to 5 or fewer, especially during off-peak hours and in the summer.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
Velleity

And just to sum it all up as neatly as possible:

~ * ~ Who I Would Recommend Unwritten Legends For ~ * ~

-- People who desire rich, in-depth roleplay but don't necessarily want some of the restrictions that come with an RPI. Roleplay is enforced in Unwritten Legends and I've never yet met anyone who wasn't in character while logged in -- everyone roleplays, whether they have twenty years' experience or two days. Also, as mentioned above, many of the characters are simply wonderfully rich, engaging, and memorable people to RP with. On the other hand, people don't take things 100% seriously all the time, and there's significant room for whimsy and just plain fun.

-- People who enjoy being able to extensively customize their characters and make them unique. The detailed character generator allows for a very personalized character appearance, and once you're in the game the customization options in terms of clothing and various other accessories are vast. Also, even though every character must choose a class to belong to, those classes don't entirely dictate what your character is good or bad at or what he or she can do in the first place.

-- People who enjoy a well-developed fantasy setting, but one flavored with historical detail. Many of the broader aspects of the game are based on common fantasy tropes, such as the existence of elves and gnomes, but each race, subrace, and geographic region also has its own distinctive culture and flavor that is firmly grounded in the greater lore of the game world. This gives the game a familiar feel for people used to the typical fantasy setting, but it also allows for a little more depth. In spite of the more fantastical elements, there is actually quite a wealth of historically accurate items (especially in terms of clothing) that allow players to better portray different aspects of a largely Renaissance-based setting. Given this broadly-rendered time period, there's also opportunity for SCIENCE as well as magic; in fact, sometimes they even go together. And who doesn't enjoy a little more SCIENCE along with their dragons and dryads?

-- People who enjoy a relatively small and involved community. There may not be many of us, but most people in UL tend to be pretty involved, we like putting on events, and we all like interacting both casually and more in-depth. Everyone knows everyone else, and odds are you're never going to have to be just a face in the crowd.

-- People who like having the chance to leave their mark on the world, whether through writing lore or items, staging or participating in events, publishing books, or, yes, simply testing things. Since there aren't all that many of us, each of us has an opportunity to make some kind of impact on the game.

~ * ~ Who I Would NOT Recommend Unwritten Legends For ~ * ~

-- People largely interested in combat and levelling, or for whom having the most up-to-date mechanics is the most important thing. UL has always been largely focused on roleplay and providing an immersive interactive experience, not so much on mechanical systems. If what you really like in a game is an expansive hack'n'slash with lots of other coded systems to play around with, and you enjoy advancing your character more in terms of skills and experience than RP, then you probably won't be very excited by UL.

-- People who absolutely can't stand the necessity of combat to level. As mentioned already, I wish there were greater opportunity for advancement outside of hunting, but ultimately I can deal with it. Especially since you don't have to be a high-level character in order to be significantly involved in events and storylines. Others may not be so accepting, though.

-- People looking for a well-developed crafting system already in place. There is crafting in the works, including alchemy, metallurgy, and even cooking, but none of these is fully implemented yet. On the other hand, if you're interested in testing and offering suggestions for such a system as it goes in, you would have a chance to make an impact there.

-- People who want a game that is largely set in stone. Or who are seriously bothered by the fact that testing continues indefinitely. If you're not comfortable accepting the ambiguity of a game whose mechanics are still undergoing extensive change and expansion -- if the mere idea fills you with a sense of loathing and horror -- then you're definitely better off elsewhere.

-- People who want a consistently large and relatively impersonal player base. UL generally has attracted very high-caliber and involved players, but not very many of them at once. Everyone will know who you are sooner rather than later, and odds are they'll have a fairly good idea of what you've been up to as well (if not always an entirely accurate idea). During off hours it can sometimes be difficult to find other people to RP with. Of course, having more people join the game will help with this, but if you know already that you *really* don't want to deal with a smallish pool of players, you're better off looking elsewhere.

All that said, I hope some of you out there will come give Unwritten Legends a try. It's not the game for everyone (what game is, after all?) but it's definitely got a lot to offer.

And now I'm done, I promise. Whew.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
Auchtor

Auchtor is on a distinguished road

I will consider Unwritten Legends to be "in development" at least until the restructuring of the profession-abilities is complete and the appropriate help files written to support players. Prior installments went from 1-30 in a 1-100 system. Until the 1-100 abilities for each profession are implemented, I cannot, in good honesty, say that the game is "out of development." When that time comes, the game will be properly considered "live". This is not a matter of being out of touch so much as it is acknowledging that important things that should go along with a "live" state just aren't done yet. However, we are altering the application to reflect the significant progress made over the last few years that have made our custom engine stable as well as the game significantly more fleshed out in terms of content.
Auchtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
Ghostcat

I just looked, and the new application is much less intrusive.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Ghostcat

Well, I figured I'd focus on one part of the game that really enhances RP.

Clothing! Thousands of unique pieces from European, Asian, African, Middle-eastern, and American countries.
There are over 18 clothing shops in the main city, all with different themes. You can use a menu based customizing process for many of the products, and the prices are pretty reasonable. A starting player can easily deck themselves out in a very fashionable outfit. None of this paying 5 million for a tunic. *ahem*

You can also view other people's clothing simply by using a possessive noun with the name of the item. "Look Drelk's shirt" for example.
I've never understood why anyone would spend hours of in-game time getting clothing that nobody else can see unless you manually show it to them.

In addition to the stock clothing, special faires happen at least yearly, where you can buy special items. These range from clothing with extremely detailed long (Paragraph length) descriptions, to state changing items that change their short descriptions when you interact with them. My favorite of these is a simple long sleeved shirt. You can roll up the sleeves, open the collar, lace it tightly, and more, while the short description alters with each change.

If you still haven't found your perfect outfit, you can take existing items and spend fame or credit to alter them to your exacting specifications.