Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

The only way to find out is to contact the company and ask them. If they're not going to use it themselves, they may be willing to sell or licence it, although it probably won't be cheap.

It's not at all uncommon for people to reminisce about their first mud, but even if you were to run it for free, I suspect you'd find it difficult building up a decent sized playerbase.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #22
warkeolien

warkeolien is on a distinguished road

Im not Ziorus, those logs came from the cyra forums. Someone posted them years ago.

Mythic cant come off dfc because of some copywrite problems regarding the client/code with a company called I.C.E. There is a post about it in cyra forums somewhere, where mark jacobs speaks about the issues about dfc and how it will never return.

I hope cyra turns out pretty well, its definitely got a player base hehe just need a game.

For those interested in what Cyra is here is the client preview posted a year or so ago, its going to be a Darkness falls the crusade remake with some adjustments. But the client already looks amazing.

warkeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #23
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

If it was a client copyright issue with the Wizard Front End, that would be Keith Ledbetter of Ledbetter Associates (I believe) that wrote the Wizard FE (the client), not which produced the Rolemaster rule sets.

If it is a client issue you could always contact the creators of the open source , which was used on a few of the same games as the Wizard FE, to see if their client could be used with the game server.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #24
KaVir
Legend

Could be that someone got it mixed up with Gemstone, which did indeed have problems with Iron Crown Enterprises, after their licence expired in 1995.

And even if not, creating your own client is going to be faster than creating both a client and server.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed

Mythic used to make some good MUDs. I used to play the original darkness falls on AOL - when it was $x.xx/hour to play! I was freaking hooked. As a broke young teen, I got in sooo much trouble for having a $100+ AOL bill month after month. Also, did you plan Dragon's Gate, too? If I'm not mistaken, Mythic ran that game as well.

Both were pay to play, if I remember correctly. DG was RP enforced and quite fun, too. DG felt more of a grind to me, since I liked the RP better than the leveling. My favorite scene came from an awesome RP system dealing with Dragon and fairy pairs. They needed a strong bond to evolve into great dragons. Man, I do miss that game.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #26
warkeolien

This was taken from the cyra forums its a guess made by a game master of DFC, aka the creator of cyra.

"The technical aspects belong to Mythic, I.E. the code. The parts that they're reusing for DAOC is probably more the networking model, character skeletons, etc.

I can't say for sure, because i've never played (and never will) an I.C.E Rpg before, but from what I gather it's very "rule" intensive. It wouldn't surprise me if the combat system(s) were based off of that (just like trillions of muds are based off of D20) and that is what ICE owns. In order to keep DFC alive they would have had to core its systems and fill it in with an alternative."

I did play dragonsgate a bit but I was so hooked on Df/DFC at the time I never gave it a real go. Also when I wasn't playing dfc I was playing magestorm.

Dragons gate actually ran for awhile after mythic-realms had closed its doors.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #27
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

You played Dragon's Gate? I played since AOL Beta all the way through to the end when the server crashed a couple of years ago. There is a small chance Darrin Hyrup is bringing it back but no one is holding their breath for that. In the meantime, a few former Dragon's Gate players have gathered and we made our own MUD. It is still in Alpha testing but you can find it here.

On Dragon's Gate I played Maycron a Leuian Fighter on AOL but when we moved to the web, I played Treyfalgar a Sanene Hand Cleric who became High Priest of Taath.

The new game was orginally called Epoch but the name changed to Isles of Aedin just a few weeks ago.

Our old message boards are here. The old boards still have a lot of the information.

The old Dragons Gate boards are here. Although there are only a fraction of us left that hang around and half of them are idiots that flame each other over politics.

In the section titled OOC Cafe - General Chat, the stickied topic that is titled "About Dragon's Gate possibly returning" you can read the message from Darrin and a few from his wife, where they discuss the possibilities of bringing it back.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #28
warkeolien

I found some screenshots of some maps from Darkness Falls The Crusade, and after looking at them after all these years they still looking amazing, Why is there not any art like this in mud's these days? These were real time maps that you saw in-game kinda like batmud or sharune 2.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #29
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Nice maps that remind me of old D&D. My guess is that anyone wanting such graphical interface has moved on to games like Runescape and WoW that offer far better quality and quantity and the reason, oddly enough, New Worlds Ateraan has had an influx over the last year of players from graphic games returning to text: high quality roleplay and more depth of imagination.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #30
warkeolien

I guess DFC just spoiled me with a user friendly interface and easy commands, it was the first mud I played. Even tho gamestorm offered graphical games at the same time on the same 10$ a month plan, I choose to spend most my time in dfc instead of the graphical games. Above all it was the gameplay that kept me there that long but the nice interface made it easy for almost anyone to get into and right away get a feel of the game.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #31
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Game play can be a great pull. I'm glad you are still around. Where do you play now? Do you get the same feel as your original game or does the nastalgia and feel of the old game keep you slightly disappointed?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #32
warkeolien

I do try to enjoy mud's, I have played quite a few on the list here at top mud sites. I cant seem to get that feel again, the feel I had when playing dfc. Dont get me wrong, I do give every mud the same chance as the next.

When I do play a new mud for the first time Im usually let down cause they dont have maps (I get lost really easy). They have an automated attacking system (I know alot of people like this, but I cant stand it). Or there is just way to much downtime

Some muds that I played that almost brought back that feeling was sharune 2 and batmud.

Sharune 2 has a great interface, very nice maps. I just dont enjoy gear grinds. Or fighting a boss monster for 20minutes.

Batmud also had a great interface and nice maps. I spent the most of my time mudding since dfc has been gone in batmud. But the huge downtime between fighting denizens was pretty boring, and it took me like 50lvls to hit the downtime wall.

Theres alot of good things I can think of about the recent muds I have played but the nastalgia of dfc always leaves my mudding hunger starved.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #33
Newworlds
Legend

That likely won't go away. Someone's first MUD is normally their most memorable experience.

I'm not sure I'd recommend coming by NWA. It is signficantly different in style and roleplay than Batmud or most others for that matter, especially the two areas you start in and the roleplay you have to do to get in a guild. One good side: tons of players so you are always interacting when not adventuring.

I might recommend Materia Magica for its mapping ability or IRE games for their interface. Other than that, just keep your fond memories for your first.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #34
warkeolien

Thanks, I have decided to stop looking for a dfc 2 and just try something new lol. I have been playing Aetolia for a few days now, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks alot for your recommendations!

While its a bit more roleplay then im used to, I think its kinda fun to learn how to roleplay. Maybe try what I learned out at the Renaissance festival that comes around my town all the time.

Just to throw out a few reasons why I have been playing in Aetolia, one the interface was very clean and two it had a nice little map. Also the moment I joined a guild, I was welcomed by a fellow guildy that pretty much showed me everything, taught me the basics, and that made it pretty easy to get into.

Aetolia didn't have the exact attack timer I was used to from dfc, that I cry about so much here on the forums. It did have a pretty similar one, where I got to choose each and every attack.

Thanks again, happy muddin
Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #35
Newworlds
Legend

You are welcome. It sounds like you are having a good time. I hope you will get into serious roleplay someday, you might find it incredible immersive.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #36
KaVir
Legend

You could also try , it has a rather nice browser-based client with a built-in map, and balance-based combat similar to your earlier example.

There are a few clients that have automappers, and those will work with most muds. It would also be pretty easy to create a MUSHclient plugin that used maps like those in your screenshots, although of course someone would still need to create the maps if they're hand-drawn rather than simply generated. Most muds have thousands of rooms, so this would require quite a lot of effort.

But if you're really interested in this sort of thing, you might want to take a look at the - in particular try doing a CTRL-F find for "Another bigmap", and you can see an example of superimposing the player location onto a hand-drawn map.

Most muds tend to focus on server-side features though, while graphics are very much a client-side thing - traditionally speaking, muds usually leave the choice of client up to the player. However this has been gradually changing over the years, with an increasing number of muds offering custom clients, or designing features tailored to an existing client, which they then recommend to the players.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 AM   #37
warkeolien

Hello, This looks like some golden information, for a map junky like me. Would this be something easy to do for a non coding person?

For example, could I fire up mushclient and simply click map? Or is there going to be coding involved? Does the mud itself have to support the map function/feature or just a client?

Im kinda familiar with mushclient from using it on aardwolf, but I didn't think I could use those type plugins on other muds.

If I could make my own custom UI's like the one's you listed in that link, I could finally try out some of those muds that dont offer maps of my liking (dont have to be pretty, like the screenshots. a simple 4x4 or 3x3 text map is fine). The kind that follows me when I move is the only truely kind Im looking for. Everything else is just a plus.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #38
KaVir
Legend

Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #39
Dsixx

Dsixx is on a distinguished road

Does anyone still post here? i'm an Old old DF/ DFC player as well been looking for a remake or a Mud just like it... searched the net for years, never found anything like it... oh i miss home so much... if anyone remembers and old Dark Prophet, Doomweaver, Orc Shaman the Hand of Ra'kur, or Kajin Chaos wizard Ogre i really wish i could connect with someone of the old players like i said i miss home, spent more than 8 years playing DF wish i could find anything just remotely like it, if anyone knows of anything of the likes please by all means contact me....

Justin aka Doom aka Sixx
Dsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #40
Newworlds
Legend

If they are roleplayers they are likely on New Worlds Ateraan. Come on by, make yourself a new home, and say Hi! You will end up getting hooked and become a huge fan!

If not, you might try Iron Realms Games, God Wars II, or Materia Magica.

Good Luck, welcome back, and happy holidays!