Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 05-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
One of the ongoing difficulties I have had in either finding my fantasy "perfect mud" or seeing a way foreward to creating or helping to create it is making the game rules themselves. My favorite RPG has always been GURPS. Well, not always, but since the moment I discovered it.

Anyhow, as MUD's have progressed and different engines become available, and I can see a way foreward now to make my own game while still keeping licensing issues straight and so forth, it now comes to the forefront of my attention that SJ Games has a fairly strict no-MUD's clause to the fair use of their product which they include in an FAQ on their site.

There is however a system called "the Action". It is distributed under Wizards of the Coast's Open Game License.

Has anyone used it before? What does anyone know about it?

Looks cool. The minute I am off my work kick I am going to find out more, but since all I have time for this red hot minute is dashing off the occasional email or message, I thought I would troll around here for anyone who has further information on how this system works.

Information on the Open Game License is found on Wizards of the Coast's web site. Computer related stuff is

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Shane

Old 05-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
I've played around a bit with the Action! System rules and I didn't have any problem with them. The lack of magic support in the rules has turned some people off.

Its a skill based system, not a level based one.

The XP/Skill advancement system doesn't really work well for a mud, but most games designed for table top play don't port directly to the computer and this can be worked around with a little planning.

I think if you like the GURPS rules (or original L5R or 7th Seas rules, it will probably be pretty easy to pick up.

The Gunslinger rule set is a worth getting (sorry, you do have to buy that) if you want to see how the rules have been applied.

One other thing to point out is that Mark Arsenault, the President of GRG, has constantly impressed with me with the way he deals with people. During the early days of the A!S rules he had his share of flames on the GRG mailing lists, and he always handled them calmly and professionally.

Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
DagdaMor

DagdaMor is on a distinguished road
GURPS is just a system, you cannot patent a system, you can copyright the expression of that system, but ulitmately if you wanted to use their mechanics exactly there is nothing to stop you doing it. I am not a lawyer, I am not your lawyer, but I am an RPG writer with experience of this kind of situation.
DagdaMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Shane

Old 05-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Shane