Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
irwinr

irwinr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Want to improve your skills at C, PHP or MySQL?

Hello,

My name is Jeremy. I am head coder at A Moment in Tyme (). We are currently looking for coders who are either skilled at C, PHP, or MySQL, or who are simply willing to learn.

In case you didn't know, the C based languages (C, C++, and C#) are arguably the most commonly used programming languages in the world today (). Knowing C is a huge asset when it comes time to learn C++ or C#, as these languages are directly based from C, and are largely backwards compatible. In other words, knowing C reduces the learning curve of these languages -substantially-.

The C language and it's syntax had a very heavy influence on other very popular languages such as Java, Perl, and PHP, and even JavaScript. For example, if you know C and C++, learning Java is merely just getting used to a few minor differences between the languages.

You should have at least a basic understanding of programming in any language, but preferably in either C or PHP. Also knowing MySQL would be helpful, but not necessary as I find it an incredibly easy topic to teach. You will find that I am actually quite good at explaining technical details in a way that pretty much anyone can understand.

If you are wanting to move into the computer engineering, computer science, or my personal favorite, computer information systems fields, and have some basic knowledge or classes under your belt, but would like to add some experience to your resume, this is a great opportunity. I am more than willing to be used as a reference, so this is definitely experience that you can put on your resume.

To give you an idea of what you'd be working with, here is some information about our technical setup:

Our MUD is currently written in C, originally based on CircleMUD 3.0bpl14 back in 1994. Over the last 14 years, the source code has undergone three major revisions and we are currently working on our fourth. The entire player file structure, as well as all new data structures have been moved to a MySQL back end, giving us a huge boost to flexibility and stability compared to the old binary player files of the original CircleMUD code. Right now we are currently working on our fourth major revision of the code, and most of my time is devoted to working on this new version. This means I don't have enough time to continue maintaining the current stable version while continuing work on the development version. This is where you would come in: Under my direction, you will be able to make much needed improvements to the stable code tree design. These changes will then be merged in with the new development tree as well as being made production on the live MUD. In other words, you will have an opportunity to get your hands dirty and learn a great deal about C programming in the process.

Our website is written in PHP. Many aspects of the game, such as in game email (aka 'mudmail') and virtual boards are available for viewing on the website. We would like to extend this functionality to include writing mail and postings from the website, as well as being able to organize mail into folders and subfolders (Which is already available as commands in the game, it would just be more convenient to do so with a point and click interface). We also have a limited number of editor's available on the website (such as the help file editor). This is another area we would like to expand. This is an opportunity for you to become familiar with PHP, posting forms, managing php sessions, using database data from php, and many other advanced topics.

As far as our MUD in general, check out our TMS listing:

We are currently ranked at #54 on the TMC rankings and #39 on the TMS rankings, and we have been steadily climbing for the past several months. We have a very dedicated player base of very friendly people, and we have been averaging about 20 online every day.

If this sounds like an environment you would enjoy working in, email me at , or login to tymemud.com port 6969 and look for 'Duren'

See you there!
-Duren (aka Jeremy)
irwinr is offline   Reply With Quote