Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 07-18-2002, 08:44 PM   #1
Jasmyn

Jasmyn is on a distinguished road
I'd like to get some feedback on what particular reasons everyone finds for staying on a mud. What grabs you in those crucial first levels that makes you stay?
Jasmyn - Darkened Realms, dr.wolfpaw.net:7000
Jasmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:31 PM   #2
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae
I guess a lot of things have to be there for me. One thing that turns me off from a mud is if it has horrible color, because that's one of the first things I notice. I also like roleplay-oriented muds, so if most people are only concerned about leveling and their stats, etc. that will turn me off as well.

What gets me to stay on a mud is helpful players, a nice layout, and something that is different from other muds. Like a different skill system, or an original world, or a special feature that I like.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:22 AM   #3
Hannah

Hannah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Hannah
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 11:48 AM   #4
Kyrene

Kyrene is on a distinguished road
Kyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:39 PM   #5
Jasmyn

Jasmyn is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for the input you all provided! I know I personally can overlook a lot of flaws if a game has a friendly helpful staff, but I really get hooked if the "newbie" entrance is something original, well-written, and shows a bit of coding flair.

Many thanks for the insight,

Jasmyn
Jasmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 05:21 PM   #6
kleftis

kleftis is on a distinguished road
I wish I new what I was looking for fully ,but here's a few things.

#1 Original Interface: to may dismay, most muds seem to be a DukiMUD or derivitive; for some reason, I've always hate the look/feel, I try to find customs muds.
#2 channels and/or shout: I prefer to do without, I guess this has something to with my prefrences, for rp, if you rping, you should meet, not magicaly "contact" each other, besides the fact I don't know how many muds I sent 5 minutes on, bescause my screen was scrolling to fast for me to see what was infront of me for all the channel spam

#3 Formating: maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that theroom description in some muds appear as if then be type on a signle line, then your client wraps it as need, is this just me?
kleftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:36 PM   #7
Cayn

Cayn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Cayn
Personally I look for a few things.

First and foremost is quality of the writing. I don't expect the next "great American" novel, but I do expect the mud to put some effort into their rooms. If the first two or three rooms aren't top of the line I'll find another.

The next thing is how the players interact with a newbie. If I log on and immediatly get 1000 tells offering help and power leveling if I just do this or that I'm off to another mud.

Next I look for how busy the chatlines are. I hate chatlines, not because I roleplay (I don't care for that either) but because I just find it annoying to have to listen to someone else talk to their friends and spam me out of house and home, or rather off the mud.

Last I look for the number of players online. Less than 4 or 5 and more than about 30 and I'm off to another mud. Why? Because I've found the urge to be stupid and act immature *seems* to be much less frequent with lower numbers of people. There's not all this invisible "testosterone" floating around.

Oh, yeah I almost forgot... If the mud isn't LP I won't even get to any of the other criteria.

All that said, and I'm sure a lot of it sounds stupid to some, those are only the things that get me to take a look around. What makes me stay is a whole different story. But suffice it to say if I'm not able to see myself down the line building on the mud I'll soon be leaving. And I've only found one so far that has kept me long enough to do that.

~cayn~
Cayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 12:06 AM   #8
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
I picked other. I like muds that have enforced RP, lots of players online, extended race and profession selection. I would also like a game that I could play more than a warrior or mage - I would rather play a crafter or something.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 04:06 AM   #9
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I look for something that could best be called 'Fun Potential'.
That's why most of us play, right? - for the fun.

I know the expreession is a bit vague, but there are usually some things that become detrimental to fun, sooner or later. Like imms that are control freaks or just tyrannical or abusive, tons of silly and unnecessary rules, cheating imms, nasty players, a high amount of Twink players, sloppy building, unstable code that makes the mud crash all the time...

So if I see any signs of these I leave very quickly. The log-in screen is sometimes a good indicator. If there is a list of tons of help-files on it that you are supposed to read before playing, and if the main part of these are rules... Yuk! Most of all I hate control freaks, which is why I generally avoid rigidly enforced roleplay Muds. No offence meant, but the only way to really enforce RP is to snoop or log the players on a regular basis, and I kind of value my privacy, even in a mud.

It's a bit harder to define what really makes a mud fun. Basically it's the atmosphere, and that is mostly created by the interaction between imms and players. It doesn't really matter if the mud is totally stock or highly developed. But generally a mud that is constantly developing and changing, offers the highest fun potential. If new code and new zones are being regularly added, if there is a friendly dialogue between the imms and players, if the imms on line are active, run Quests or take part in the roleplay, the mud is usually fun to play.

You usually find that type of atmosphere in two stages of a mud's development, during beta testing, or in an old mud that is advanced and heavily modified, but still being worked on. Which type you prefer is a matter of taste. The old mud is usually stable, with well balanced races, classes, skills/spells, mobs and equipment, with few bugs, an established player base and most likely some nice 'features'. Some muds grow stale in time and stop developing, but as long as the staff is active, that's a place where you can really have some serious fun.

In beta testing you can expect frequent crashes, buggy code, a limited number of zones that are not totally stock and probably even pwipes. While all this can be very frustrating, there is still often a 'pioneer spirit' in a new mud on the make, where the imms and the morts work together towards a goal. And even the bugs become part of the entertainment. The most fun I ever had on a mud was in a mostly stock Diku, that had more bugs than a street mongrel. Us players had a ball exploiting all the bugs and the imms used to slap our wrists in a rather benevolent manner for doing it - in the few cases when they caught us. Eventually the same mud developed into RP enforced D&D, and all the fun went down the drain, together with the players - and eventually the mud itself.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:25 AM   #10
Vesper

Vesper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vesper
Cool

I, too, am big into codebase. I look for MUD's first and foremost with codebase in mind. If it's something I know, than I look into it.

Other than that though, I look for stories. I love MUD's that can tell continuous stories. One that I could add to in my own little way, from being the swashbuckling leader of a band of mercenaries to the guy who serves the Duke his beer and than walks off never to be seen again.

Add in some nice color, and I'm happy.
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote

Finding a new Mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding and Keeping Good Builders Javen MUD Administration 4 06-18-2005 09:24 PM
Finding that Special RPI MUD... Almondine War Roleplaying and Storytelling 7 12-18-2004 09:56 PM
Need help finding a MUD Danlor Tavern of the Blue Hand 5 10-05-2004 05:44 PM