Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
silasgreenback

silasgreenback is on a distinguished road
New to MUDs and Forum...

Hello everyone,

I've been an interactive fiction, aka, text adventure, player for some time now, though am completely new to MUDs. I had heard of MUDs in the late 90's and inexplicably never checked them out between then and now.

There is an IF MUD that I recently went to in order to find some news (ifmud.port4000.com 4000). Just looking around a bit piqued my curiosity, so I checked out a few more MUDs and realized that I've been missing out big time. Since I'm already such a fan of IF, the sort of gameplay that MUDs offer is right up my alley!

Right now, the annual IF competition is underway so quite a lot of my time is spent judging, but once that's done with, I very well may have found a new addiction.

For anyone who's curious, here's the comp page:

With my introduction out of the way, I'm really looking forward to lurking here and learning more, and as I gain more experience with MUDs, I'll hopefully have something useful to add.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: New to MUDs and Forum...

Welcome to the Forums Silasgreenback! Enjoy it here. There are a multitude of diverse MUDs on here that you can check out all with varying styles and genres.

Have Fun!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

Welcome fellow IF'er. A lot of mud's can not have the puzzle's you will find in an IF game, but they are good fun. No mud has ever effected me like the game 'The Baron' which left me horrified but unable to stop playing right through to the end and yet astonished at the awesomeness of the writing. The was one experience that no graphical game / mud has ever repeated. (NOTE link provided to the Baron but be aware the subject matter is truely horrific, ADULTS only) and if you want to try do not read any spoliers as it will kill the dull realisation and sickness that hits you in the stomach as you understand what is happening. This may sound discouraging, but if you want to experience 'Intensity' through a text game, this is the one.

EDIT : Sorry to belabour this, but I think this reviewer summed the game up better than me

The Baron begins as an experiment in futility - a fascinating exploration of someone’s inability to change the inevitable repeating pattern of their life. As you set off on a quest to rescue your kidnapped young daughter from the evil Baron - made all the more sinister by a note left saying he has to be with her as he loves her - you have a righteous task in place. Which makes the implications of your inevitable failure so very interesting. And then it changes.
I was so deeply affected by this game that after finishing it the rest of my day was pretty much a write-off.

END EDIT

Anyone out there who has not played an IF, set aside 20 mins to experience this which will leaave you stunned at the imagination of the author.. this text based game is played in ONE ROOM only but will leave you totally mind-f**ked. I must confess to have not played last years winners, I downloaded 'Rovers Day Out' but forgot to play it.

I look forward to seeing this years entries! Welcome to TMS

Last edited by MudMann : 10-07-2010 at 05:15 AM.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
silasgreenback

Thanks for the nice welcomes!

Newworlds:

I was immediately drawn to the amazing selection of styles and genres you mentioned. The hard part is going to be settling on a mere few; it seems like it'll surely be an ongoing process.

MudMan:

It's nice to see another enthusiastic IF'er here.

I'd read some reviews of De Baron before and it's been on my hard drive for a while, though I haven't gotten around to playing it. As soon as I'm done with the Comp games, I'll be sure to dig in. The same goes for Shade.

Since you play IF, I'm curious to know what you use for mapping. It seems a lot of MUD players like the automapper in Zmud, though with the selection of other clients, I doubt I'll be relying on that.

What I have tried with some success so far is the same mapper I use for IF, which is GUEmap.

Another solution that I haven't tried and am wondering if it would work is the Frobot IF mapper. It works by feeding the game log into it and it's possible that it would work for MUDs too.

With all that said, again, thanks for the welcomes and I'm really looking to all the MUDding that's yet to come!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Many new members here post up a few key things they are looking for. If you do that several of us may be able to recommend a few places. Of the top of my head I'd recommend in no particular order:

4Dimensions for the cool quests and brain twisters and the original story.
Primordiax for the huge crafting options.
Materia Magica for the nifty client and ascii graphic interface.
Aardwolf for the player size and player interaction.
Threshold for the in depth roleplay and historical religion aspects.

I didn't put links on those MUDs but they can all be found on the first two pages of the top muds.

If I knew what you want I could better focal on a mud or two.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
silasgreenback

Thanks for those recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out.

As far as what I'm looking for goes, anything's fine as long as it doesn't involve seafaring, airplanes, or cowboys.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

I used CMUD with its built in mapper, or standalone ZMAPPER for when I am playing games or dungeons with manageable sizes.

And in game to try dont forget

Godwars II - No rp whatsoever.. at all... none..zero.. period.. did I mention no RP? but the most amazing customisation features I have seen. 100foot demon, you can be one, rip off someones arm and beat them with it.. done.. gobble your opponents during combat to restor energy.. you got it oh you acn also be a good guy too.

Newworlds - and even though he is bashful and not pluggin his own mud, which noone should be ashamed of, Newworlds is also very easy to get into, and from my few experiences is fun to play with some good RP

Wheel of Time - If you like the books, you will love this game. The entire world of Robert Jordan explorable and you can be whatever you want.. but if you want to be a male channeler.. you WILL go mad as the taint takes you

Primordiax - The new kid on the block, but already dripping polish and a nice flash interface to play with. MUD meets MMO type gameplay with RP, with, as mentioned in previous posts great crafting .

If statless play, permadeath, story telling is your thing then maybe you should go for Shadows of Isildur or Armageddon but these tend to have steep learning curves and frustration in the early days but if you can persevre apparnetly the most satisfying rewards in terms of interactive fiction which appears to be your thing.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote