Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Characters on an RPI - Memories?

The idea to post about this came about recently with me dying on an RPI with a character for forgetting to do something I know that my character would not.

So, basically the question is this, how can RPI developers make it so a characters memory and a players memory are separated? I mean, I forget other PCs names sometimes, so I keep them in files. I also have a separate life where I have a pretty damn good memory and focus it on that, not on remembering what time my character eats his lunch.

I was thinking for my MUD I will implement a "memory" system code that players can use to set memories with their characters whenever they feel like. This way they can keep player memories and character memories separate, some sort of log would work. This seems kind of open, but hey, players can do this anyway with simple .txt files on their desktop or where-ever if they really want. Why not have such things in place? Also, I wanted to have 'Reminder' code where you could be in a room and set a reminder so it echoes back to you anytime you enter that room. Like saying, hey my character would remember to put his ****ing armor on when he goes outside to patrol right? You can't imagine the frusteration of losing a long-lived PC due to a player error such as waking up early in the morning, being groggy, and knowing you should go check something out with your PC. So you do it and forget something as simple as putting on armor and guess what? Armor means life and death so you die to something you normally smoke in a matter of minutes. I would never wish this feeling upon another player so I'm thinking I will definitely implement something on my mud to aid them with such things.

Anyway, thoughts? Ideas? Flames?

-d
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Characters on an RPI - Memories?

Actually I won't flame or argue with you on this one Delerak, suprisingly enough .

I have thought of this from time to time as I've played varying muds that focus on the things you are talking about. I just can't think of a good way to do that beyond what you suggest. And your suggestions or ideas seem like a good start for answers to that dilemma. It certainly is frustrating and unlike you, I forget things constantly.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

I think you could extend this even further, really. I think the best thing to do would be to implement a CC/CNS system (cerebral cortex/cenral nervous system), and combine this with a ACC/AL system (automatic character creation/automatic login) system. From what I've heard Google is coming out with a PLA (permanent login automation) system as well. The tricky part would be to integrate SMS messaging to your mobile to tell you when your character has levelled up or had a particularly interesting RP experience.

;D ;D
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

People already do what I'm proposing, poking fun at it is stupid. You can do it all with scripting and triggers anyway, implementing it into an RPI mud is the question.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Bristlecone

There is always an issue with the abilities of a character being far different from the abilities of the player. Perhaps my character loses out on a job because they cannot cook, while I, as a real human, am a very good cook. Should I demand that the RPI take 'my' abilities into account when I am role-playing and give my character the job anyway? No one expects that to happen, but I agree, that just because 'you' were half asleep, does not mean your character was. If a player logs on drunk, and kills half of a village, should the entire sector of the game be ret-con and everyone resurrected? No, because staff expect players in the game to take responsibility for their own actions. The staff have no way of knowing if you simply forgot, or if you meant to suicide your character, then changed your mind.

As for your suggestion on 'memory code', such things are available in some muds. SOI has a 'journal' that players are free to use to record information that staff can access. Many players use it to record additional character background, explain long term plans and personal plots, or use it as a memory-minder. Many H&S games allow triggers, so you could set up one that includes logging on, getting dressed and heading to the tavern, and only use a couple key strokes. However, RPIs traditionally expect players to actually 'play' the game and do not allow triggers.

Losing a character sucks, but maybe next time you will be take a little more time and pay attention to what you are doing. The end result will be a richer, and more rewarding game play experience.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

Oh, I can imagine it.

I have died so many times on various MUDs do to silly "player" (meaning me) mistakes like this. Forgetting armor has happened to me more then once, on various games.

My favorite "forgot" Moment happened in Gemstone though. I was playing a bard, and was singing a song that replenishes mana. I was doing this on a mining cart ride to a dwarven city that always had a low PC population to offer my loresinging for items. Thing is, that song could go horribly wrong and harm everyone in the room. I got off the cart, forgot I was singing the song, went to the town center and killed everyone in town. Everyone.

Priceless.

Years later I still chuckle thinking about it, though at the time many players were not to pleased with me.

So I can imagine.

Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote