Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 09-24-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Raith

I was wondering if anyone had the details on creating a Graphical MUD. Mainly I want to know things like: How much it would cost to support the server, Best ways of going about creating one, Any past experiences of do's and dont's. Any other comments would be useful too.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
That's a question that cannot be answered unless you tell us what kind of graphical mud you're interested in. If you're interested in making a full-scale EQ competitor, figure 12-15 million dollar budget, a team hitting at least 40 people during some point in production and a 2.5-3 year dev cycle.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:46 PM   #3
malaclypse

malaclypse is on a distinguished road
You could make an isometric game. They're sort of 2.5D in that they fake height with effects. There are some promising ones being done independently, like Illarion. Of course, there is still a -ton- of artwork to be made, and I think thats really the biggest challenge for a person familiar with text MUDs trying to get into the graphical field.

- Ryan
malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

Yep. In fact, though it's since gone 3d, the first large-scale graphical mud, UO, was isometric. And one of the top 5 muds in the world (Ragnarok Online) is isometric, albeit with 3d backgrounds.

On a smaller scale, check out something like Furcadia, which was done without any investment at all.

--matt
Old 09-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #5
Raith

Most likely an isometric application. Nothing commericial as I plan to make this as free as possible. I wanted to get an idea of how much a server would cost to maintain a considerably large crowd, because if it's too much I could develop it into a Neverwinter Nights style RPG. I'm still getting a general idea of things before I start to develop the game though.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:21 PM   #6
the_logos
Legend

Ahh! Well, it depends on how many simultaneous users you're planning on supporting. It sounds to me like you're thinking hobbyist mud size, so say, 150 simultaneous at max? Does that sound reasonable?

In that case if you wrote an efficient server you could do a shared account with Wolfpaw.net. For $28.99/month you can have unlimited players and 400 megs of space. I highly recommend Wolfpaw, in fact. We spend tens of thousands/year in hosting and bandwidth costs and I've not encountered another mud hosting service that can compete.

Now, that's the server cost. The big killer if you're going to host a game with a fair amount of players will be bandwidth costs. That tens of thousands/year I mentioned above is largely for bandwidth.
--matt
Old 09-24-2003, 11:41 PM   #7
Raith

I was wondering how much bandwidth are server for an even larger crowd (say 500-1000 people). Would up the price ? I'm not really planning on that many, but I still need to know this as I am making plans
Old 09-25-2003, 04:02 AM   #8
the_logos
Legend

Well, it depends to a great extent on how efficient your server is. Everquest, for instance, is legendarily inefficient in the way it bundles information into packets. It costs them, reputedly, a lot of money.

The way bandwidth tends to work is that you can pay per gig up to a certain point. Beyond that point (and I'm not quite sure where that is) you're paying for peak capacity rather than actual usage.

I've heard figures like 1 kbs/second/player but I wouldn't be able to get better figures without asking around. Actually, I'll do that it's very relevant. I think I'll figure out how much bandwidth/average-#-of-players-online we use too.

--matt

Graphical MUDs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graphical Mud needs base staff Amnon Advertising for Staff 0 07-08-2006 11:42 AM
EdgeE seeks graphical ad-banner designer DonathinFrye Advertising for Staff 0 04-22-2006 03:41 PM
Graphical designer needed for Aeonfalls! Hephos Advertising for Staff 1 07-08-2005 03:53 PM
The effect of graphical MMORPGs Soleil MUD Administration 10 06-20-2005 05:34 PM
Graphical Muds Hyptosis Advanced MUD Concepts 14 03-10-2005 12:31 AM