Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 04-30-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Cormac

Cormac is on a distinguished road
I tend to keep noticing a trend in the way of staff. Everyone wants staff, though not too many folks are posting about wanting to be staff, while the requests for staff often seem to go unheard. The Mud I am apart of has a coder to-do list that would probably satisfy the appetite of any dozen fellas. So, The Question I have, is what is the best way to attract coders to your own particular MUD or project, short of paying them RL wages? Or does a decently effective method even exist?

Cormac - Head Builder
A moment In Tyme. - A wheel of time rp based mud.
tyme.envy.com port 6969
Cormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:37 AM   #2
Sarolite

Sarolite is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sarolite Send a message via MSN to Sarolite
Exclamation

Well, the one coder I have came to us because he is the real life friend of one of my builders. Honestly, I believe that most coders who are of the calibre that the majority of muds are asking for are working on their own projects already, and are not looking to be subserviant to someone. I'm not a coder looking for work, but I believe a co-imp position in a mud with a lot of excellent quality builders is what would appeal most if I was.

It is rare to find a coder who shares the same vision as you and that you can trust. If you have that, hold on to them for all you're worth. I have seen implementors insult and downplay the work that a coder has done, and claim that an implementor did all the coding that this coder had done. That's not very smart.

Ultimately, however, the best way to get things done is to do it yourself. If you've truly got the know-how to be an implementor (and not just opening a mud because you feel like it), it is not much more to become a mediocre coder. After that, pretty much only experience can turn you into a great coder.

If your project cannot attract a coder, and you've got no interest in learning to code, perhaps it is time to join forces with another mud. Perhaps your awesome world design and game design ideas would best be served by presenting them to a group that can code them, and in return for your efforts and contributions you can have a job as an immortal. (That is what I offer, immortality in exchange for ideas we like and use.)
Sarolite is offline   Reply With Quote

The Neverending search for coders? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Search of A New MUD Gabi Advertising for Players 7 07-08-2006 04:20 PM
In search of...Agents Brody Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 05-19-2003 07:05 AM
In Search of Arrogance Ltriad Advertising for Staff 0 04-12-2003 11:33 AM
Eq Search? Caharin MUD and RPG Webmasters 8 09-01-2002 10:30 PM
The search continues kleftis Advertising for Players 4 06-29-2002 03:51 PM