Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 10-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
These two concepts have undergone constant analysis in order to review their effectiveness at improving game balance. The following changes have been made to these systems in order to improve them:

<span style='color:cyan'>MAULING</span>: The old system divided damage taken in PvP by the number of people attacking someone. So when 2 people were attacking, the victim would take 50% damage, 3 attackers = 33%, 4 attackers = 25%, 5 attackers = 20%.

The problem with the damage reduction being this extreme is that it made hegemons nearly invincible and just exacerbated the problem of high level players running roughshod over everyone else.

The new system simply reduces damage by 10% for each additional attacker, with a cap of 50% damage reduction. So, 2 people = 90%, 3 people = 80%, 4 people = 70%, 5 people = 60%.

We hope this will still discourage mauling without removing the option of getting a group together to take down someone who is much more powerful.

<span style='color:cyan'>NPC BUFFING</span>: Threshold was originally designed so that anyone could solo any area in the game. The downside of this heavily solo-oriented design is that it makes groups extremely powerful. The code we implemented to balance this added 25% to the hit points of an NPC for each additional attacker (including adding 25% per outside healer). Since this was cumulative, it worked like this: 2 attackers = 125% hp, 3 attackers = 156% hp, 4 attackers, = 195% hp.

There were a number downsides to this system. First, it discouraged and penalized outside/distance healing to a greater extent than desired. Second, it resulted in very OOC, often grief-like behavior with people running around "buffing up" NPCs just to screw their enemies or to ruin an area for people. Third, it could be undeservedly devastating to someone who was fighting an NPC when a group of 3 people ran through and buffed the NPC up 95%!

The new system makes use of mauling type code for NPCs since that only affects damage taken while there are actually multiple attackers. This means if someone runs into the room where you are fighting, their effect on the NPC's damage reduction ceases when they leave the room. This also means that distance healing no longer buffs up the NPC. The new system reduces damage taken by 15% for each additional attacker, with a cap of 60% damage reduction. So, 2 attackers = 85% damage taken, 3 attackers = 70%, 4 attackers = 60%. To summarize the effects of this new system:

<span style='color:cyan'>1)</span> Distance healing no longer buffs the NPC you are attacking in any way.

<span style='color:cyan'>2)</span> People running through the room or attacking the NPC (either before or during your battle) only effects the NPC's damage reduction while they are actually in the room. It is not permanent like the old system.

<span style='color:cyan'>3)</span> Overall, the effect of this is significantly LESS than the old system even under the old system's ideal circumstances. This means groups will have an easier time with NPCs gamewide.

<span style='color:cyan'>FINALLY</span>: We are also looking at the effects of groups on loot drop rates- with particular emphasis on a handful of NPCs that are notoriously stingy. The changes to the NPC buffing code should already have the effect of making it easier to kill some of these NPCs, but we will continue to examine their drop rates for ways to improve that aspect of the game as well.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
Graeblyn

Graeblyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Graeblyn Send a message via MSN to Graeblyn
Graeblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
Gad

Gad is on a distinguished road
I think the changes are great! It is a constant battle to balance things out, but I think these tweaks to the system have been a big improvement.
Gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
TapDancer

TapDancer is on a distinguished road
Some folks just can't let go of old grudges. There is a whole other web forum for people who hate the adminstration of Threshold, and the same people lurk here and find some momentary relief from thier overwhelming hatred for all things Threshold by lashing out at its administration here as well.

Meanwhile, the game still keeps thriving and its administration keep on developing the game for the many players who enjoy it.
TapDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
ZeeBard

ZeeBard is on a distinguished road
...and we're back on topic again!

Some of these changes got a big, happy sigh of relief from me. I normally don't hung in groups to really notice the changes to mauling, but I sincerely appreciate the updates to NPC buffing. I can't tell you the number of times my character's been close to death because someone walked in and out of the room I was in with an agressive NPC.
ZeeBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #6
Graeblyn

This is true, but the main thing is that it has made party combat so much more rewarding and fun, in terms of reducing downtime
Old 10-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Haigen

Haigen is on a distinguished road
My favourite change has actually been that of mauling. Hegemons are no longer the be all and end all of PK combat, and can now be dealt with by numerous foes. Time will tell if the playerbase does something with this change I guess.
Haigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 PM   #8
ZeeBard

ZeeBard is on a distinguished road
I'm there with you on seeing what happens. Though, I've been excited about all the new things in the game recently, including the catchable pets and new house pets.
ZeeBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #9
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Gotta catch 'em all!

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:17 AM   #10
Graeblyn

Old 12-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #11
Haigen

Haigen is on a distinguished road
...and now with a potential war brewing, this may get tested out fully.
Haigen is offline   Reply With Quote

Threshold RPG - Group Combat & Group PvP Changes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Code Jaegar MUD Coding 1 02-09-2005 03:15 AM
Threshold RPG, the Golden Age (expansion) Threshold Advertising for Players 9 05-15-2004 03:03 AM
RPers wanted to start group/clan and have fun. Rohart Tavern of the Blue Hand 4 07-17-2003 07:21 PM
New Project Group Forming Alexander Tau Advertising for Staff 0 02-20-2003 10:37 AM
Players of Threshold Serrina Tavern of the Blue Hand 14 05-14-2002 09:18 AM