Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #101
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: The "Health," of Muds

Wow, that was like reading a book, reading that post.

Here's the difference. MUDs have longevity. I think much moreso than WoW. WoW will be gone as the novelty wears out, just like others that have come and fade as time goes on and a new fad comes around. Many more people have cell phones and text eachother and text on Facebook than play WoW and all other graphic online games combined.

Think about that and how to tap into this texting market.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #102
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough

No, WoW will vanish because the company can't make money off it any more. Look at EQ I. There are servers that, up to the point, run a near complete emulation of the original *and* a number of them that have created entirely new content, not to mention some that have even added in their own graphics. and The original isn't even dead yet, but there are servers running that both emulate and extend much of its content. If WoW dies it will be because no one has emulated the server, and like others, some of them with far better server designs, the box in the shelf will become nothing more than a collectible, for obscure people that like software they can't even *ever* run any more.

But, if someone does... What most MMOs lack is a simple way to set them up, for your own use. EQEmulator pretty much removes that barrier. Without that barrier, there is no justification for claiming that MMOs are "just fads", unlike MUDs, and won't still be around quite a ways into the future.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #103
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

From 1.5 Million players to 1,500 on emulation? Yeah, EQ is pretty much dead. That would be like NWA going from 150 players to 1/10th of a player. I'd call that permadeath.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #104
shadowfyr

1506 "average", 3882 "max", if you want to be technical, not including servers that are "unregistered" or "private", and none of which indicate how long they have been around. This is, again, for a game that *still* is updating for the original Sony servers. And, that is one of the big differences. Most of the "original" muds that where out, well.. they don't exist either, anymore. And, not one of them managed 1.5 million players. Until the original servers shut down, until/unless the people from them decide to just move on to the next game, without looking to replay the content, you can't say dead. By that standard, muds died too, a long time ago, since they are keeping a tiny fraction of the possible players. Its the whole point of the thread.

Most of these servers have not been around for more than 4-5 years, a few maybe 10, and they seem to manage to have attracted, and keep on, 487 -> 982 players, just looking at the "original" server, only including the ones that are in *their* server list, and which are not running on people's own networks, or possibly using other means to direct players to them.

Its like a car. Yeah, one from 1960 is rare, but if all you want is a car from the company, you can still buy a 2010 model, it just won't be the 1960 one. It won't be custom modded, it won't have been owned by someone famous, etc. You are complaining that, "Well, people are not buying the new X brand as much, and the old one isn't sold any more, so, the entire line is dead." Show me a mud that, while the original was still running, had over 982 players, and for which there are **no** derivatives. Then you can tell me how EQ I qualifies as "dead".

Otherwise, its like whining that Diku is dead, based on the fact that there are more Diku muds run by some slub with 3 friends and a cat, who never **see** 150 players either, never mind nearly 1,000.

But, neither of us is going to know for sure, for years, possibly decades, and certainly not while who ever is *still* playing the original Sony servers are still playing on Sony accounts, using the original Sony version.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #105
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road

Have you read ? The question is: who would dare to setup an emulator when it can cost them 88M USD? Things like that probably push developers away from emulation.

Also isn't it in the best interest of the MMO owners to get the pirate servers closed down? Even if the original owners don't run the game it could still be a competition to their new game. To me it looks like making/running an emulator is a high risk project.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #106
shadowfyr

May depend a lot of how you do it, and if the people running the original are... nice about it. One of the things about the EQ one is that it only works with the client up to about Titanium edition, which means the last 2-3 years, or so, of content is "not" in emulation at all. I am guessing that the WoW people a) had less of a sense of humor, and/or b) the people doing it tried to do something stupid, like using their own server *and* client, or something like that. But, that is only a guess.

But, you are right, emulation, in all cases, even for games where the original company doesn't exist and no one knows who, if anyone, bloody does have the rights any more, is potentially risky. Some companies will guard something that 4 people want to play, based on the theory that *maybe* some where down the line they will use the title, or remake (usually badly) the game. You get the same thing in the movie industry, with something like 80% of everything ever made either being permanently lost, or sitting in some warehouse, slowly decaying, beyond recovery, because the company who have the warehouse don't give a damn, until someone says, "Heh, if you are not going to do it, can we?", and they go, "Sure.. for $20,000." Apparently... cockroaches must pay a lot of rent or something, otherwise I fail to grasp how charging some people with almost no funding so much they can only restore about 3 movies a year makes a damn bit of sense, when 50 movies degrade beyond the point of recovery each year, due to being sat on by the owners.

Point is, there is something profoundly stupid about the whole thing. But, someone deciding to emulate a game... they have to do something sufficiently stupid, legally questionable, or just to the wrong company, to get nailed for something that Sony obviously doesn't seem to think is quite as big a deal as Blizzard did. Makes me seriously wonder what the issue actually was, and on whose side. I am better though that it was one of two things - WoW may keep some things on the server end, more than EQ does, which would make for a problem, since it would be using their "content", not just emulating the stuff that controls it. Or, they tried to make their own client, which would constitute "using Blizzard's intellectual property, without permission". Buying a client legit, then using that, isn't the same thing. Making **entirely** your own graphics, and using the servers as a base, but none of the quests, zones, etc., would also be acceptable. Its using their graphics, in your own client that is a major issue.

BTW, that is another reason Sony is probably not too worried. How many copies of Titanium edition EQ I do you think are out there, at least legitimately? And, you can't use the patched or newer clients (at all). But, again, as long as you stripped 100% of the Sony material out, there is no reason you couldn't also build your own client to for the servers either. Its just not what they "intended" to do, at this point, with the exception of those "custom content" servers in the list.

Still, you are right. It would be safer to build such a server, and the client, and not touch anyone else's content while doing it. But, that takes a "lot" of development time. A lot more than just working out how to talk to a non-patched, old, copy of someone's legit client.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #107
Newworlds
Legend

The reason Sony or any company is not worried is the same reason Tolkien doesn't care about Shadows of Isildur, no big money is changing hands. As soon as that changes, a sworm of attorneys will be happy to collect their fees.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #108
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road

I think the first versions of was made by a team of 1-2 people. (btw isn't it funny how the discussion has moved from health of MUDs to a discussion about graphical MUDs?)
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #109
shadowfyr

Hmm. Was thinking something more.. complex than Ultima 6 though. lol Still, my point in talking "graphical" ones is that its a bit like expecting people to go back to SNES games, when someone just released Halo: Reach. The core remains the same, on some level, even in newer ones (though the comparison for SNES might be better if it was to the newest Final Fantasy). I don't think you can separate the core design from the mere fact that it *has* graphics, then whine about whether there is some threat for muds. The people doing so do not mean "muds", they mean, "Our old, retro style, muds." They still make stuff *today* that looks like old SNES stuff. And, some people still play them, but its just not reasonable to assume that, with all the options out there, there is really a vast sea of untapped players, who want to play a game with the text client, no graphics at all, in most cases, etc. Hell, half the posts on the Mushclient forum have ranged from making the mapper it finally has work with different muds, to using its new graphics supporting mini-windows to create inventory systems (in at least one case, a graphical one). Its not far from that to someone going, "Hmm. I wonder if I could "design" rooms to display, which showed what was actually here. Heck, my own thought had been to use a sort of SDL, which could send, as plain text, the data needed to produce a 3D image of a room, without having to store all the data to do that local.

Mind, that idea would require making it work with like OpenGL or something, and a fast connection, so all the data could get there in a sane time frame, but.. if your normal players are thinking of graphics enhancements, even *while* playing text...
Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #110
Newworlds
Legend

Or the health of graphical MUDs which is even funnier.