Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Threshold - A Year of Massive Content Additions

is one of the longest running, role play required games on the internet (15+ years). Development began in 1992 and we opened in 1996. There may be people out there who think after all that time we would become stagnant as far as new content, or set in our ways. That couldn't be further from the truth.

With the hiring of a new full time staff member a little over a year ago, we really ramped things up as far as new content development. I put together a list of new content from the last year, and I was really happy with what I saw. I'd like to share it so former Threshold players, or potentially new Threshold players, can see that we are dedicated to constantly adding new and exciting features to the game.

Telnet address:
thresholdrpg.com:23

==> New Areas/Zones

==> Pure Roleplay Enhancements: Many features contribute to RP, but these are purely RP related.

==> New Game Mechanics/Features:

==> New Combat Styles:

Last edited by Threshold : 07-01-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Threshold
Legend

Re: Threshold - A Year of Massive Content Additions

(I couldn't fit everything in a single post - hit the character limit)

==> Religion Enhancements:

==> Guild Enhancements:

==> New Race:

==> Gear:

==> House Enhancements:

==> Clan Abodes:

==> Major Events:

==> General Quality of Life Enhancements
If you've never played Threshold, or if you played in the past, I would like to invite you to give it another shot. We are always adding more features and content, running events, and listening to player feedback as to what you want next!

Telnet address:
thresholdrpg.com:23

Last edited by Threshold : 07-01-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

and what did you do with the other hand..

Impressive list, and what a difference it has made. The one thing for me that makes an amazing difference is the meals and the ability to actively scavenge for food.

Well done, hope next years list is just as long (especially for Primordiax)
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Thanks! The meals have been great for downtime.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

It's definitely an impressive list. A long time ago, way back in college (we're talking ten years ago), I played Threshold, and I'm willing to bet that if I logged in today, I'd barely recognize the mud. I've been watching from afar as Threshold has smartly morphed into a pay for perks rather than a loose pay to play model, and adopted the very impressive "players are content" motto. It's definitely not the first mud to recognize that players make the mud, not features, but I shed a tiny tear at the truth and succinct simplicity of that motto.

I'm curious: as a working guy, who often plays muds from work (meaning a lot of going idle suddenly or quitting abruptly), and a father with a screaming child at home (meaning a lot of the same when I dare to try to play at home), I had to quit playing muds like Threshold shortly after finishing school, and limit my hobby to extremely casual muds. Threshold wasn't a very amenable environment for quitting wherever you're standing if something comes up in the real world, or for staying involved in the rp scene when most of your playing time includes long bouts of being alone and idle.

Do any of the quality of life improvements over the years make the mud more accessible to a guy like me?

Last edited by SnowTroll : 07-05-2011 at 04:18 PM.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Threshold
Legend

This motto is truly a core part of everything we do

You still have to store away your items if you logout. But there are a lot of things that are very helpful to casual players.

First, every single player now receives some personal storage. In the past, most storage was on a guild or religion level. This means you can store your best weapons and armor in the personal vaults thus making it easy to hop on and off and be decently geared up quickly.

Second, there are a ton of new systems that do not require a big "spin up" time to benefit from. Resource gathering, contributing to city or religion dominance, etc. are all things that can be done in small chunks with progress continually building. You don't have to do them hours at a time to see real progress.

Third, there have been a lot of pure roleplay features added that are definitely very casual friendly. Book publishing is a really good example of this. There are a large number of players who have made it a high priority to build the best library possible. As a result, there is high demand for both creative and "non-fiction" works. I say non-fiction because I mean non-fiction within the game world.

Fourth, our tradesmen guild is currently in beta. It is a guild devoted entirely to crafting. While tradesmen can be played hard core if desired, they are also very casual friendly as you mostly stay in cities and work to build clients, relationships with your suppliers, etc.

Fifth, death does not carry as severe a sting as it did in the past. There are ways to protect yourself from some of the effects (locking in xp) and a large number of magical effects that can fend off the effects of death (cycle of life blessing, resurrection, boons, kismet, vengeance).

Sixth, we added a new type of food called "meals" that help with downtime and are cheaper than other food or potions. They can only be used out of combat but they are a very convenient downtime reducer.

These are just a few examples. I think you'll find the game is a lot more casual friendly, while still maintaining its original core gameplay features that our long term players love and continue to enjoy.