Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #21
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

I really enjoy a good RP game, but I find that I can play on very few of the RP games that are available.

For one thing, I hate pose order and for another I hate long winded speeches or even short speeches if it takes too long to develop. I like RP be to fast paced and exciting. When people emote, pose, say .... whatever in a sentence or two they can normally keep the pace moving, but as soon as someone starts to write a paragraph each time they need to do something, the pacing just dies.

I also dislike having to emote every time I walk through a room another character is in. Sometimes I just want to go from point A to point B. And what's worse is when I'm expected to wait for a response and it turns out the person I'm waiting for went out for a pizza and just decided to stay logged into the game.

I really dislike having to submit a character concept before I can get into a game. I just stopped even trying to play those types of game. I have never found one that was worth the time and if you are going to make me wait a week before I can even log in, well, it better be a friggin' awesome game and I just haven't seen it.

I like OOC in a game. Its a game after all and some times I like to BS. I prefer OOC to be on its own channel that can be turned on/off at will and I don't spend time on games that try to block OOC.

I also like numbers. I'm offended by roleplayers who think that if I know what my AC value is or how much damage my sword does or how many hitpoints I have it makes me unable to roleplay. If anything I believe the opposite is true. Numbers allow a player to quantify the effect of a situation or object and then it's up to the player to convey that information in IC terms. Without numbers its just vague guesswork based on vague descriptions.

And lastly, I hate it when players tell you stuff about their character and then complain when you mention it in game, because they told you OOC. I'm all for keeping IC and OOC separate, but if you shot your mouth off about your plains to assassinate someone in game don't cry when your target hears about it and starts to prepare for the attack. This leads to the dreaded "let's null that RP" What the heck is that - a do over? If you are a plotter in game, keep your secrets to yourself.

Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #22
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Loved your whole rant Sombalance, but I just have to highlight some of the especially good parts.

No kidding, this is classic and happens more often than it should.
Bahahahaha. Amen. I never understood having to write a huge concept when you don't have much of a clue about the current politics, story, flow, geography, or balance of the game. I mean seriously, are you kidding, making someone read your 100 page manual to play your game. Pfft. Perhaps 20 or 30 years ago.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #23
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

I just had to quote this because it's one of my pet peeves as well. Don't tell me anything about your character that you don't want me to know IC or OOC. It's even worse when a player expects the administration to do something about this because then I wasn't even privy to the original conversation. What's worse is when BOTH players expect admins to do something about this, putting us in an impossible situation.

Anyway, I definitely agree that if a character is supposed to be some sort of super secret sneaky character, don't blab stuff OOC.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

Not everyone enjoys role-play for a variety of reasons. Some simply aren't good at it. Some don't have the patience for it. Some are really only interested in more arcade-like functions. It really comes down to the personality of the player.

Many don't want to develop a character because they just want arcade-gameplay. Hack'n'slash, score points and "win". Some are lazy and don't want to take time to do anything; they want instant gratification. Some are simply incapable of developing a character be it on account of a lack of creativity, lack of an adequate attention span or laziness about going through any sort of creation process. Again, it boils down to the personality of the player.

Different strokes for different folks. My issue is with those who don't want a particular type of game but then go and play it and try to change it into something different. For example, players who don't want to develop three-dimensional characters and are really only interested in combat and PKing playing RPIs. If you don't want to role-play, go play a non-RP MUD. Don't complain when your actions get squashed by staff because you're just H&Sing your way through the gameworld.

Games that fail to enforce their own style in order to attract or satisfy new players typically lose the players that made them popular in the first place. One need only look at the RPIs who've lost so many of their veteran players by dumbing down their role-play standards and enforcement. The best RPI today doesn't hold a candle to the worst RPI of ten years ago. Looking at all of the great players who've walked away from RPIs because of this drop in quality can be painful, especially when compared to what passes for players and staff nowadays on some RPIs.

Long story short: Players, play the games that suit your personality and gameplay style. If it's not a match, don't try to change the game, go look for another. With hundreds of games out there, you're likely to find one that does match what you're looking for. Staff, remember that a larger playerbase isn't everything especially if you end up sacrificing what made your game worth playing in the first place to achieve it.

Take care,

Jason aka Falco
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #25
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Many players base their decision to play on the playable enviroment of the Game, and from there weither or not its worth their while in the long run to play.

With Marrach, which is where Tristan's from, you faced the problem, as all newbies do, of dealing with people who were either simply too gosh-darned friendly or simply insulted by the fact that you were there next to them. We lost a lot of would-have-been players because of those exstreams because they were simply put off by the behavior of the established players. Then we had issues of being met with resistance from Staff on plots, overall sour attitudes and the closed minds of the players, and finally the egotistial 'power players' who'd insist upon 'keeping Ic Ic, and OOC OOC' to the point they wouldn't listen to why you couldn't properly RP due to Real Life issues.

Honestly, that closed mindedness killed it for me after almost ten years. Compaired to the vibrancy found in Ironclaw, Marrach is stagnate. And I can say that because I have friends that are still there. Nothings changed, nothing moves--and the newbies spot this with in two weeks of their arrival and go elsewhere.

So, Enviroment is the best way, in my opinion, to judge not only if its acceptable to the Player's style of RP but also the Game's overall health in the long run.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #26
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

This is are fairly negative. While much of it may be true, there are players that do want to develop a character, aren't lazy, are capable with descriptions and creativity, have attention span, but just have a different way of roleplaying than ten paragraph emotes or other roleplay style (name any style). I'm not talking about ooc rules I'm talking about roleplay style and game setup.

In reference to what I said above. This is golden. If you don't like the style of a game (be it a MUSH or other style of play) do not try to change it as a newbie joining the game. The game is what it is because of its rules and style.

This may cause a derail of the topic so I'm putting in a new thread perhaps this can be answered better here:

Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough

Yeah. As another in the Second Life universe of things, one guy I know pretty much quit do to, "too much drama". This is a "post apocalyptic" "dark RP" series of sims, so you get a lot of people doing pretty nasty things to other people, a lot of time spent trying to dance around the issue that X moron doesn't want his stuff touched, even if there is an RP reason for it, others not wanting to RP with Y or Z, because of some random thing that happened a year ago, etc. Basically, instead of playing a part, people invest themselves in the role so much that they get offended when the universe doesn't play nice with them, or they insist on dragging stuff up from way back, when it wasn't even the same character, or role, or situation. And, that is without even mentioning the fools that can't keep real life out of it.

We even have one bunch that jumped ship (you will never see this with a mud, at least not in the same server.. lol) to change their two sims into a different combat system, because they where *convinced* that all the changes being made to streamline the system, fix bugs, adjust race strengths against each other, and prevent people making stupidly over powered weapons, was all about "making money". Same bunch spends a lot of time now complaining how there are not enough people visiting (including me, since, under a new system, I can't show up as my "future" self, like I could when it was still in the same system).

You get ego, politics, and just general dumb, and if you end up the target of all three, or even a lot of one...
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #28
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

Just out of personal curiosity, how old is Ironclaw as opposed to Marrach?
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
iKallisti

iKallisti is on a distinguished road

I play on a roleplaying enforced game 99% of the time, but every so often I get the urge to go find some of the more hack n' slash titles out there. When I do this I don't want to have to bother with any sort of RP because I'm already putting enough thought and effort into my character on the game that I usually play. That may sound lazy I suppose but when I do that I'm putting less time into the character and putting a LOT more time into optimizing that character so that I can get a feel for the game in however brief a time I play. I find that doing this is great for relieving some of the stress I attract by playing a "not very nice" character on my home MUD. I also find that it makes me better a better player by reminding me how to look at different systems and find secret.

More on topic though I think that in a lot of cases people get driven away from RP games by the seemingly impenetrable wall of rules if you're not familiar with the game. On the game that I play we give out a couple of help files when a new player starts, once they get out of creation they're presented with a few more and information on how to access the whole list of them, we go on from their by trying to get them involved with RP in the game so they can learn as they go but I think some people get overwhelmed by the rules and the feeling of trying to learn the "culture" of the game. This I would think is even more of a problem with games that have a lot of their world lore and information available on the website. For example, as much as I've always wanted to try my hand at Armageddon I've never been able to get past the very beginnings of making my character because I get overwhelmed trying to read the history of the region, and of the race, and everything else.
iKallisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #30
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road

I do this too. Sometimes the heavy RP gets fatiguing.
Then I play a hack-n-slash for a bit to relax.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #31
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road

Some other things I find annoying about RP games.

The number of players don't support the number of rooms. If the game has 10-15 players but over 15,000 rooms it makes it hard to randomly wander into someone for RP. You could of course hang out at the main RP point (which seems to be a tavern in most games) and wait for others to wander it because they know it is the "hot spot", but then you have idle time when you are just waiting. I'd rather grind than sit and wait, and I hate grinding.

Also, it seems that many RP games don't have coded activities for the player, so if there aren't other players on line you are stuck with nothing to do until someone logs in.

These two things are compounded when the game doesn't give any indicators of the number of players active on line. I can't tell if I can't find someone to RP with because there is no one else on line, or if I'm in city A and everyone else is in City B.

BTW, I only play rp encouraged/enforced muds. I don't play RPIs (at least those that go by the strict definition of RPI) or Mushes, but can understand why some people might like them. They just aren't for me, which is a shame as I've seen some very good settings come out of the RPI/Mush community.

I agree completely with earlier comments that basically said to not try to change an existing game to fit your idea of RP.

Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #32
Darren Brimhall

I believe Ironclaw is around seven years, while Marrach, which was Skotos' flagship game, will be ten years this September.

Skotos, as it did with The Eternal City, aquired Ironclaw and runs it under license as one of its own with support from Sanguine Productions. I don't know how often this license is renewed, or if its a perminate aquirement.

And, I appologize for responding so late to your question. I thought you had wondered what the differences were between the two games, especially as to why so many former Marrach players now call Ironclaw home, and to how such difference would effect on from RPing.

I'll post it anyway when done, but I'll warn all of you; its going to be long.

Darren Brimhall
Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #33
Wolpertinger

Wolpertinger is on a distinguished road

I have a bit of an interesting reason why I hate enforced RP - I have a stunted imagination, you could say. I have difficulty thinking up a basic appearance for my character that's more interesting than an extremely generic appearance, without practically copying others or throwing random bits together.

A background? No way. - It's more than writer's block, it's the writer's Great Wall of China.

Ironically, this makes me appreciate other people's stories more.. I'm a big reader, and I'm one of those rare few who in all games, even MMOs (even WoW) will actually read all the quest text and the story instead of CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKing through them like everyone else (including my friends.. it irritates me vastly).

At most, I can end up being a passive character who is just 'there' in the background, which never works in RP enforced MUDs.. Even when interesting world events are happening, my lack of inspiration as to how to act properly prevents me from participating. Too much requires detailed IC interaction with people. It's difficult to make friends with other players when most communication is IC, so I end up playing alone, too.

It kind of irritates me, because a lot of the most detailed and complex MUDs (I love complexity, you could say I'm an 'explorer' type of player but I love to explore mechanics and classes and abilities just as much if not more than the world) are RP enforced.

Iron Realms MUDs come to mind, but the combination of enforced RP, and the fact that you have to throw obnoxious sums of money at the developers to be able to do anything fun.. unless you roleplay.. killed them for me.

And Iron Realms muds are RP-lite compared to some of the more hardcore ones.
Wolpertinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #34
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

I created 3 characters on Armageddon.. spent hours fleshing them out, back history, motivations, studying the history files and then getting completely lost in the game with no assistance, noone to ask for help except for a bunch of help files. No character lasted much beyond the first hour of safety. One died in a sandstorm when I accidently went out the city gate, one was just killed outright in the street with no RP or warning, and the other was my own fault, I got arrested for stealing (I think) and got killed.

Details are vague but its been a while so I cant remember specifics beyond avague memories.

I never went back, basically far too much OOC effort for zero IC reward or satisfaction. BUT I have to stress this is just my opinion, I was impressed by the setting and the writing.

I am a great fan of RP, but what can turn me from RP is when there is no outlet out of the RP. I will not play an RP game with no OOC channel (but on the same vein, the channel MUST be tunable for the times I want to be immersed).

I will not play an RP game without an advice channel to ease me into the game mechanics.

However to answer the thread, what turns me off the most however is an RP game is the sterotypes that people use. I cheer whenever I meet a woman character who was not previously a slave, or abused as a child, a rogue who was not a poor orphan urchin on the street who turned to crime. Some of the best RP I have ever met in a character was one without a history of angst and pain. I think there have been websites and threads devoted to this phenominum (how DO you spell that!) which is quite commonplace.

I also loathe games that have settings which specifically give an opportunity for one person to have complete and utter control and domination over another in a slave / master type setting. Yes, this could theoretically lead to a good 'slave becoming a hero' type RP such as spartacus or Gladiator. People who are new to MUD's and fancy this type of character may be caught out as sadly games that have this harsh type of play are normally just breeding ground for MUDsex, rape and murder, and normally with a disclaimer 'Players have no right to complain'. I think this is irresponsible regardless of any warning or disclaimers that may be given.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #35
Newworlds
Legend

NWA has entire nation that is devoted to harsh roleplay including servitude and slavery. It is very rule controlled to keep players from exploiting it and I have found that for the most part good roleplayers do very well in environment. Some do not, however, and it is those that tend to be disillusioned by the difficulty in such a system.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #36
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough

Have to say.. One thing Second Life did was create a really odd situation for RP. There are several combat systems people made, so not every sim is compatible with every character, due to the systems not being compatible. That said, as long as you adjust weapons/theme a bit, to fit the setting, you can move from just about any group of sims that use a specific one to any other. In the DCS system, there is everything from fully user made ideas, to sims dedicated to Naruto, or Bleach. In CCS, there is everything from modern, to ancient, to mixed, to pure combat sims, with arenas, to futuristic, etc. Very few are massive systems, like City of Lost Angels, but... The local rules prevail, which means, if it says RP, you follow the RP rules (which do to how easy it is to teleport, sadly means no inter-sim communications that involve combat situations, though OOC or IC that isn't involve with that is acceptable. Mind, you can't call them, in CoLA rules, even if *in* the same sim, you have to escape the battle, then find them physically... Kind of annoying...). Sad, since a few factions had systems that could run their personal, on-character, com systems through that.

But, this rules may differ in other sims/chains. Sadly, you get the equivalent of the morons around the fountain too. For a while, before, "Don't stand there and do nothing" functions where put into the CCS meters, so you had to be more or less active, you got "gesturbators". People that would use animations/sounds, often the ones all characters get when connecting to SL, to gesture at each other, rather than do anything else. Dropped in to a sim with an arena at one point, while wandering around to see what sims where out there, and had the jarring experience of seeing several people standing around, with wierd sounds coming from them, while apparently none of them where actually doing a damn thing. lol

But, yeah, to be specific on the most recent posts here, there are *strict* rules, in CoLA at least, on how to deal with all the sex and violence that takes place in the dark RP setting. But, this is sex-lite, in many respects. If you want that sort of rediculous stuff, find a Gorian meter, and a Gorian sim. They specialize in that nonsense. lol

One thing you are not likely to *ever* find in a mud, is something like SL, where literally entire cities can be themed, placed in time, or even running different races/classes/etc. Makes for a wierd place.. Especially when you go some place to shop for something like a new animation set, for say, limping, or something, and find yourself confronted with a squad from the SGC, over done Goth people, furries, possibly storm troopers, and who knows what else. Its like being at a damn Comic Con. The difference being, everyone leaves the store, to head over to the nearest "actual" world in which that makes sense to wear. lol

In any case, we end up with people that RP well, people that RP badly, people that can't keep their OOC out of the IC, people babbling things they shouldn't on the wrong channels (though, if someone logged the conversation, and someone usually is, since some RP can be turned in for additional XP, using that info **will** be dealt with), and of course, the people that get swatted out of the sim, or even possibly the system entirely (character ID banned from using the meter), which stand around gesturbating, instead of making a real attempt to RP. Like the environment though. If you want to talk to people about stuff non-related, you turn off the meter, so you are not "ticking", and you don't get into trouble, and you can do that over channels, so you don't have to dump text into the local chat. Solves two problems that way. Muds/MUSHes, etc... would probably nail you for just standing there anyway, or chatting on OOC, even if they didn't "tick" and add XP over time, for being online, while not letting you turn that off, if not "active".

I avoided RP muds like the plague, precisely because I didn't want some ass *demanding* that I participate, even if I didn't feel like it at that moment. Too much effort, no real gain, no real way, beyond making up your own history and story, to customize "anything" about yourself, or the world, etc. I like, now, being able to dress the part, build things that fit what I am doing at the moment, making *tangible*, if temporary, changes to the world, etc. I want to be able to spray paint a glowing faction symbol on a poster someone else put up, which annoyed me, and have people "know" it was done, not just the three people that saw me do it, who then have to mention this to everyone else, otherwise no one has a clue anyone painted anything over the poster. There are major limitations to trying to RP in any environment that can't allow that. And... MUDs, most MUSHes, MMOs, etc. all *fail* at this. No mud is ever going to let me build a weapon satallite, for future use in RP, or code an AI to place in the new Syn Science Division labs, which where *built*, not by some system admin, but someone renting land in a CCS sim, because that just happens to be what they *wanted* to have there. And, I don't have to be "always on", or like a shakespearian playwrite (never mind even vaguely good all the time). But, I still tend to be out of the loop a lot, as someone else mentioned as a problem upthread. Main reason I never did well in the main city. Too much **** going on, not enough time to figure out what the heck it actually was. lol (That, and the last faction I was in always seemed to have a strange ability to schedule meeting at the time and day I was not on, no matter what time, or day that actually was...)
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #37
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

I have enough respect for NWA and it sizable player base to expect that it gives a lot of respect and protection to the players, even though I have not played since the pwipe and new nation
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #38
Newworlds
Legend

Well, you are heavily into several other MUDs. I would think it would be tough for you to return and be fully involved and immersed (dare I use that term?).
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #39
Darren Brimhall

Actually, see and study how others write up their character discriptions--then apply how they do it to your own character's discription.

Personally, I prefer the short, simple and sweet apprach that focuses on the different parts without useing too many words.

Darren Brimhall
Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #40
Darren Brimhall

In responce to Shadowfyr, concerning Goreian Themes in Second Life.

I have a friend who plays a slave girl there (the proper name for such escapes me at the moment), and she's indicated that if one become uncofortable with the 'action' occuring the other player will 'back off' from the attempt.

But sadly, as in any game, there are those who wont back off and would demand that the play continue because 'you' consented to being a slave here in the first place--now suffer the concequences.

Fortunately, you can leave the area for another one in Second Life--even cut off all communication with those who are abusive. Even build your own place, as she intends to do.

And there are many 'colorful' ways of retaliation; like your own fully equipted ICBM (only $1000L) or the smaller briefcase nuke ($1200L) that can really ruin the abusive players day--as can having contact with Staff Builders there, as she does, also helps out a great deal.

But what can keep players interested in RP is having the Game in questioned staffed by a dedicated group whos not only are commited to fairness, but are also willing to help players out with their problems while keeping them at arms length to avoid corruption and favorism--two major factors I consider that drive people away from Rping.

Darren Brimhall