Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 09-03-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Just thought I'd share this idea as it's an easy-to-implement way to provide more opportunities for roleplaying for players and to increase the feeling that your world is 'alive'.

I was sitting around chatting with some players the other day about what they'd like to see and one player suggested that we create a channel that immortals can listen (but not speak on) that relays whatever players say to or tell to mobs. I loved the idea so much I put it in a few hours later and it's been fantastic so far.

What it does is allow immortals who are looking to do some RPing to just watch for interesting opportunities as players talk to mobs. It's a lot of fun to see a player just randomly chatting away to a mob, possess the mob and go into a full-blown rp session with him and whoever else gets involved. Their reaction when their usually reticent guild tutor (or whatever) starts talking back is priceless.

As an addendum, we're also seeing that there's a need for a comments file for each mob so that the various immortals can see a record of how a mob was roleplayed recently and stay consistent with that.

Anyway, much fun and very easy to implement. Highly recommended!

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
Well, implementing it could encourage people to talk to mobs. The players are The Pattern's End don't usually speak to mobs, and expect a response, so this might change that. On the other hand, there aren't really enough immortals on enough to make it that worthwhile.

I also think that some of our immortals would kind of harass players via the mobs.

Enzo says "Hi" to a MOB

The MOB responds "Go away you filthy mortal."

That's something I could see some immortals doing, so I guess that's just the mud I play. All I am saying is it would need a lot more immortals to make it worthwhile on some of the smaller muds. I like the idea though.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Surely you could just lay down the law and tell your immortals not to harrass the players like that though?

Also, in terms of your immortal to player ratio the system isn't intended to give mortals responses every time they speak to mobs. It's just to give immortals an easy, real-time way to jump into rp situations with players. I mean, most of the time a player is still not going to get a response but given how easy to implement this was nearly any improvement is worth it.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote

Easy RP enhancer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Artifice: Building Made Easy Mellie Advertising for Staff 0 02-06-2005 11:53 AM
Looking for easy to learn fun mud Nate112233 Advertising for Players 6 02-02-2003 01:11 PM
Frontier makes it easy for Newbies Atew Newbie Help 0 08-28-2002 03:49 PM