Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 07-08-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
Almondine War

Almondine War is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Almondine War Send a message via Yahoo to Almondine War
Almondine War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #2
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
Hey,

Well... we have a very early alpha release of our sourcecode available on our website. There's a bit of a catch-22, though; although it's an RPI codebase with some neat features (application system, revamped combat, levelless/skill-based, archery, realistic weather system, player literacy, scripts/languages, wounds, fully numberless prompts, crafting, ANSI colouring for readability, description-only social system, and a ton of other RP-related stuff), it is horribly, horribly unstable, and represents a loss of about two years' solid coding work or so on my part from the rock-solid and robust server you'd encounter if you actually logged into our MUD today. Also, it is written in C; it's a highly modified (a total of 8 or so years of development, counting the MUD that initially granted me the rights to use their codebase to found Shadows of Isildur) version of a server that was originally DIKU GAMMA.

So in short, if you're a good (and persistent) enough coder to actually fix all the problems it has, you're without a doubt good enough to roll your own; but on the off chance that you're that good and just want an RP-enforced springboard to leap from, you may want to consider checking it out.

Please note that I do not provide support for it; although I'm always happy to answer a few questions about the code as my time permits, I'm usually fairly busy and so do not get to answer as many as I'd like.

You can grab it .

I may, some day, release an updated version of our codebase to the public, but it's rather unlikely; it has grown so complex by this point that I'd have to spend a good chunk of time writing a number of install scripts to make it "user-friendly", and I think I'd rather spend the time I do have developing new things for the actual MUD.

HTH,
T.
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:38 AM   #3
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote

A Codebase? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
d20 Codebase caspin00 MUD Coding 8 04-29-2004 04:31 PM
Looking for a particular codebase... Scrod Fungus MUD Coding 4 02-11-2004 07:43 PM
An age-old codebase Delerak MUD Coding 14 08-19-2003 08:07 PM
Looking for Codebase Khadgar MUD Coding 1 08-16-2003 01:25 PM
SWR Codebase:Help Metathran Elf MUD Builders and Areas 1 07-19-2002 10:17 AM