Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
AmandaGreathouse

Name: Amanda
Home MUD: http://www.soul-riven.synthasite.com/index.php
AmandaGreathouse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AmandaGreathouse Send a message via Yahoo to AmandaGreathouse
Exclamation Need A Coder or Tutor

For a while now, I have had a lot of interest in building my own mud. I spent days trying to figure out how to get Ant to compile the PAiN codebase (since I wanted a java codebase). Needless to say, due to my lack of know-how, it didn't exactly pan out. The closest thing I've found to an ideal codebase would have to be coffeemud, but, upon really looking through it, I realized exactly how lost I was. I tried to diable levels and experience gain, but that doesn't do anything to help with all of the metacrafted and created items to populate the world having a precoded level. I tried to disable classes, instead allowing it be be skill-based, once again, it's very much not working.

I am hoping to create a role-playing enforced mud, enforcing permadeath (with the exception of a rare but learnable spell). Ideally, the players would have customizable short descriptions, and the emotes would allow for a system similar in syntax and versatility to that of Armageddon ( [clicking on the "emotes" example]). Not to mention allowing for better descriptions for crafted and metacrafted items. Ideally, it would be classless, levelless, and skill-based (with everyone having access to all the skills), but the entire magic system would be retooled from the current magick system.

Ugh. I don't even know where to begin. I run on windows, and haven't yet managed to find a way to get cygwin to fully download. (windows XP to be precise). I don't have access to any books or any resources with which to acquire books. I am looking to create a unique, mostly very realistic mud, that is extremely dynamic and allows for great world changes on the part of the player, with intelligently scripted NPCs. I have a website up with a vague outline of parts of the muds setting. (link: ) The site is far from finished, but it has the beginnings of the information up.

Most of the world setting and the ideals for the skills/stats/magick system are already set, but I simply lack the coding knowledge to put it all into play. If anyone has any interest in helping out with this, or if anyone simply wishes to help, please, please IM me.
AmandaGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
ShadowsDawn

Home MUD: New Worlds: Ateraan
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
ShadowsDawn is on a distinguished road
Re: Need A Coder or Tutor

I assume you are wanting Java because it is an interpreted language, and thusly when applied right is fairly platform independent and will allow you to develop from your windows machine. If that is the reason, you could look into andLinux. It is a version of linux that runs side by side with your windows session. Instead of having the linux-like environment of cygwin(which is still problematic) you get the benefit of a full on linux environment that plays nice with your windows OS.

By making use of andLinux you would be able to choose any codebase out there, including the RPI engine or Argila (if you can find it) which include many of the features you are looking for already and then some. Or you could go with comehting like NakedMUD, which is very bare bones and will allow you to code your skill system and such however you wish without worrying about havign to retool existing systems to make them still work. NakedMUD also has the advantage of using Python in addition to the C based core. Things are developed to the point that all coding can be done with Python alone, and since the in game scripting system is Python you could theoretically create your game solely with triggers and progs attatched to rooms & such while inside the game.

Python is also interpreted, like Java, and is platform independent as well. One nice thign with it though, is it is generally easier to learn, and in most cases development is much faster, especially when trying to get a prototype system up and going as fast as possible.
ShadowsDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

I'll second that I've found Python easier to learn than Java, however for the OP, creating an unique and dynamic mud is quite an undertaking, that could (literally) take 5+ years to create even for a small team if they're doing it in their spare time, so don't be too frustrated at a slow start.

While you work on your mud I recommend doing some smaller projects as well from start to finish, even if those are just mods of existing games, or small games that implement proof-of-concepts for systems you want to use in your mud (for example, see the Gladiator Pits codebase in comparison with God Wars 2), I think that'll help enormously. The important thing I think is to do things from start to finish and get intimately familiar with the lifecycle of a project, from design to finishing. Finishing things is really important. Also there's no reason your mud shouldn't undergo several iterations, from simple to more complex, even if you don't re-use any of the previous code. Good luck!
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

If you choose to go with CoffeeMUD, I would recommend joining the . There you can meet other people using the codebase, and ask questions whose answers cannot be found in the various guides.

If using CoffeeMUD, or about any Java codebase, Cygwin should not be necessary.

If you are attempting to use a non-Java codebase, I would recommend over Cygwin (personal preference).
All the information you need to learn to program is likely available in the wonderful resources on the web. There are so, so many decent free tutorials and courses available that you can learn all the basics at home.

Mind, it is not going to be quick and easy. If you go this route do the "Hello World" tutorials, and walk through each section. Do not skip sections. Consider the tutorials as if you were going to college, and take notes, experiment and when confronted with a problem you cannot solve by research on your own, ask others.

I cannot speak for your local library system, but many public libraries also have books that can be useful in learning to program. Also look for beginner programming books in bargain bins, and ask any students you may know if their schools are getting rid of any texts.

Plan, plan, plan.

Then have someone you trust look over the plan for any problem, or missing, areas.

If you wish to follow the obsession of a text-based role-play game to completion it will take lots of reading, learning, time and other resources. This is inevitable.

Best of luck to you, and if I can help in my limited time I will be glad to do so.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
unpunished

unpunished is on a distinguished road

Wrong. Older versions of Java were interpreted, however the language now uses a JIT(Just in Time) compiler which compiles bytecode on the fly as needed. This has been the way of doing things for quite some time now, and I find it strange that this myth still hammers forums to this day.
unpunished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Kepo

Home MUD: Eragard
Kepo is on a distinguished road

Whether intentional or not, you came off as rather pretentious in your post. ShadowsDawn was just making a point that Java is portable, therefore it might be appealing.
Kepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
unpunished

unpunished is on a distinguished road

I did not mean to exaggerate the importance of that small detail or make any demands on ShadowDawn's knowledge, therefore you do have my apology Shadow. However I did feel the need to point that out as it has an affect on certain aspects (speed, etc..).

As a side note, you may also try looking into C# and the Mono framework as a portable platform for MUD development. See for all the juicy details. C# has a syntax similar to that of Java's which may make it desirable if you are looking for a "javaesque" language.
unpunished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
ShadowsDawn

Home MUD: New Worlds: Ateraan
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
ShadowsDawn is on a distinguished road

Oh I fully admit my brain is wired differently when it comes to coding. What I was referring to was the fact that it passes through an intermediary layer, which is available on virtually all platforms, and then is executed in that fashion, rather than being compiled for a specific system, and cross you fingers if you want it to compile on anything else.

And no, I did not take offense at all
ShadowsDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

NakedMud is a good start as well.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Lucian Flaktin

Lucian Flaktin is on a distinguished road

Might any of you be interested in helping with my mud?

Contact me at :

AIM : Drastictactiks
Email :
Lucian Flaktin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #11
Errigour

Errigour is on a distinguished road

I could try and help a little? What port and server are you running on or do you need help getting it started also? If so Im using a circlemud code base on relik.ath.cx port 2001 but you seem to want a different style mud. Anyways again I would be willing to help.
Errigour is offline   Reply With Quote