Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 05-31-2002, 12:51 AM   #1
f451

Hey!

I'm running LdMUD 3.2.7 and a modified version of the really old NannyMUD export lib. Running it just for fun, to tinker with and learn coding. Now... A real strange problem have occured recently.

Idle time, combat heartbeat, age and uptime counting (among some of the things I have noticed) dont work anymore. You are always 0 seconds idle. You dont grow in age. Uptime of the mud is stuck at 3 seconds. If you go ld, then you never get kicked out of the mud, you are eternally linkdead.

I have looked and looked, but cant find anything that seems to be wrong. I am fairly sure it is a lib problem cause an older version of the lib works perfectly. But my dumb brother erased it... So I need to debug this. Anyone who got any idea at all what the problem might be?

/F451
Old 05-31-2002, 03:02 PM   #2
mhc

mhc is on a distinguished road
I would suggest that the problem is with the driver, or rather, the mis-match of the old NannyMUD lib and the LDMUD driver. For example, the query_idle() efun, which is needed for the idle time, might be missing, do nothing, or do something different that the one in the old NannyMOS originally running the lib.

You will have to check the driver source to see what you should be using, and then modify the lib. Or, you could implement the needed efuns (or change behaviour of existing ones).

Good luck.
mhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:33 AM   #3
f451

Thanks! I'll start working on it now that exams are over.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:31 AM   #4
mhc

mhc is on a distinguished road
mhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
f451

I am still there. Hard to abandon the old homemud. Besides, this is just a learning project of mine. Something to tinker with.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:39 AM   #6
f451

I have now tried all my old backups and the error remains. Before reinstalling a new backup, I have wiped the old one.

So I am starting to think that the guy who have given me a bit of server space maybe have done something with his server. Not that I really know if some sort of server setting can create this error. But... Since this bug didnt exist when I shutted down the mud for the exam period, but it exist now... What else could make the mud bug like that while being down?

I get a 'exec of erq demon failed.' when I start the driver. Think that is any related? Sometime I also get that it expects 0 but got 9.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:41 AM   #7
f451

Another totally weird thing is the uptime. First times, uptime was 3 seconds. Period. Now... After I reinstalled the driver, uptime started at 1. And then it increases by one for every time I start the parser.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:37 AM   #8
f451

Update: Ok, it really must be a problem with the server. I tried installing the mud on another friends linux computer. Worked perfectly. Still same error on the server though. Any clues what could be up with the server then? The owner says he just moved a couple of directories in the scout account over the last 6 months, that he can remember.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:06 AM   #9
f451

I made it work! The server admin had no idea what to do... He was tinkering and trying, same with his self labeled linux guru friends.

I noticed uptime of the server was over 300 days and figured maybe something happend over new years. I convinced them to reboot and now it works! *flex*

Thanks for the help though.

heartbeat problem with ldmud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Java Problem Almondine War MUD Coding 6 10-21-2004 11:17 PM
obj_to_room problem Samson MUD Coding 4 05-10-2004 11:27 PM
Same problem Nostrum Newbie Help 3 09-19-2002 08:52 AM
Problem with sprintf Enziet MUD Coding 1 07-18-2002 07:50 PM
Code Problem Keljorian MUD Coding 1 06-01-2002 11:11 PM