Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 02-20-2004, 11:59 PM   #1
Dubthach

Dubthach is on a distinguished road
Dubthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Pharazon

Pharazon is on a distinguished road
For fear of being flamed for posting an advertisement (sic), I'll deal with each of your points in turn:

We're a Hack'n'slash, no RP enforced. We do have players that RP, but these are more the exception than the rule

We have specific areas for PK, unless you are affected by a diplomatic stance as a member of a Royal House (see below)

We have an optional newbie tour, optional enrollment to a newbie academy, or you can simply fight it out and learn on your own.

We have a (unique?) 5-stage multiclassing system, with the ability to keep earning 'Character Points' one you hit max avatar. Essentially, there is no end to the advancements you can earn for your character.

We do not currently have a crafting system, but this is one of the main features that is currently being developed.

We have a variety of channels, which all allow a differing amount of adult language.  The only thing that we do not tolerate in any way is directed personal attacks.

We have a world comprising 5 continents, with ocean naval code to allow for travelling between.  We have an in-game automapper which highly encourages builders to create cohesize zones where rooms/zones do not overlap

Our player graph is available at: - they should clearly show the online counts vary anywhere between 30-75 online.

We still have rent code - a nominal 100 coins to rent. However, members of clans/houses (including the newbie academy) can 'rent' for free at their various guild halls.

Not sure what you mean by dynamic?  Our system allows anyone to purchase a clan.  Multiple clans can join together under the umbrella of a 'Royal House'.  The last finishing touches are currently being put into the 'Regency' system - a player-controlled monarchy/ruling council.  Each of the royal houses can own ships, property, house items. Houses can set diplomatic stances versus each other which allows for extended PK in (almost) any zone in the mud.

We do provide player housing, with custom room descriptions, mobs, affects, and other benefits.

All in all, I'd recommend that you try us out.  You may like us, you may not - but we do seem to fit most of the criteria that you've laid out.

P.
Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:01 AM   #4
Tzven

Tzven is on a distinguished road
I'd recommend .

DartMUD is RP encouraged. You are not required to send emotes of 30 lines or more every 5 seconds. You can, if you want, spend all of your time trying to kill everything you see. But you will not go far without interacting with other players.

DartMUD is full PK. It is also has permadeath. This means that twinks who randomly go around trying to kill people don't last long. So unless you're extremely annoying to people who can kill you, you're not likely to be PK'd

You start off with your native language, and the common language. If you want to be taught skills, you have to be polite and ask people around you. Most people on DartMUD hate the attitude and whining of people who demand teaching.

DartMUD is skill based. There is no hard limit on how skilled you can train yourself. However, some skills interfere with each other, meaning a skilled fighter would have a hard time learning magic. The same being true the other way.

Crafting is a huge part of DartMUD. Almost everything you see is craftable. If you want a sword, you first have to make the hilt. Wooden(wood working) or leather(leather working) hilt? There are dozens of types of trees to chop down(lumbering), and every animal can be skinned for it's hide(tanning). Next you have to mine the ore(mining), refine it (metallurgy), then finally you can forge the weapon(smithing).

You can grow and weave cotton for clothing, and there are thousands of cooking recipies. Spend the day fishing if you're feeling lazy, or if a friend is injured go out and make a potion of healing.

DartMUD is recommened for mature players. There are no set rules against profanity. Although if you go to the main city and shouting out of character racial insults, or offering to sell Pokemon cards you would quickly find yourself eviscerated.

Area's are well designed and written. And all are consisttant for a medieval world.

The most I've ever seen on at any given time has been around 50.

Only your clothing, jewelry, keyring, and your moneybag save upon exiting. Warriors need to find a safe place to store their arms. Mages, on the other hand, generally live very spartan lives, and can survive living on the street.

Players have built castles of nobility. Fortresses which contain all the essential requirements for life. Farmlands, bedrooms, crafting rooms, barns, etc. However, these castles can be taken over by any determined group of usurpers. There is quite a history of conflict over the ownership of these castles.

About your dislikes:

RP encouraged, you will not be pestered for not speaking in accents. There are no channels to roleplay on. And as I said before, you can spend all of your time trying to kill npc's, but the real fun is dealing with other players.

There is a comprehensive and easy to read help rules section, though the most important part is this:
You are allowed to be AFK as long as you want. However, after about 10 minutes you will be logged out. The DartMUD definition of botting is:

DartMUD is completely free. You do not need to pay any money, not even to buy certain hard to get items or skills.

Most creator/player conversation goes through the OOC bulletin boards. If you post a note on the ideas, complaints, they are likely to reply to you telling you why things are, and why things are not. Occasionally a creator comes down to chat, but that is exceedingly rare.

DartMUD is obviously not for everyone. I think it's the best MUD I've ever played. Some think it's the worst. That's life.

The help files are among the best I've seen. Well written, easy to read. And most important, straight to the point.

Movement from one room to another is instant, however hiking over mountains or hills, or swimming over rivers or oceans will fatigue you.
Tzven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
Dubthach

Dubthach is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll certainly try all those games.

Dartmud appealed to me before, and I'll certainly try it...but I'm not sure I want to deal with perm death.

I also doubt you'd get in trouble for advertizing your mud in the "advertizing for players" forum.
Dubthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:07 AM   #7
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

There ya go. No IMMs getting in your way, lots of treasure, awesome experience/leveling, you can be AFK to your heart's content, and in fact you can even be AFK and still level and gain power without having to worry about getting punted out after 10 minutes, no RP at all.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:18 AM   #8
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Hephos, just curious, but do you actually read any of these threads before posting your advert at the end?

The original poster specifically cited his thread in the Tavern of the Blue Hand (entitled "Why I won't play your mud"), as an example of things that really irritate him, in which he states "I don't play RP enforced muds". His first requirement here then states "RP encouraged or "less"." So what do you do? Post an advert for your RP enforced mud - exactly what he's said he's not looking for...
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
Hephos

Sharune is not RP enforced. You can play the game fully without RPing, and hence we are not enforcing anyone to RP imo.

It boils down to how you interpret "enforced" and "encouraged".
Old 02-22-2004, 10:12 AM   #10
John

John is on a distinguished road
I can't see how to interperate that as "RP mandatory" so shouldn't the info for Sharune be changed? After all, if Roleplaying isn't mandatory (i.e. you can play without roleplaying) then it's false advertising.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:55 AM   #11
Hephos

Well the "rp-mandatory" setting in this database was a bit old. Changed now.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:53 PM   #12
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:29 AM   #13
Geras

Geras is on a distinguished road
I think if you have to go kill mobs to level, it should be called rp-encouraged and not rp-enforced.

If you can't advance through someone teaching you/practicing/rping then you're forcing someone to do something their character may or may not want to do in order to be competitive, essentially enforcing OOC behavior at some point.
Geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:32 AM   #14
Geras

Geras is on a distinguished road
Oh, thanks for changing the setting on Sharune in the database Hephos. I through me off, as I thought
your MUD was something it wasnt
Geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:16 PM   #15
Panzer

Panzer is on a distinguished road
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:22 PM   #16
Pharazon

Pharazon is on a distinguished road
I'd like to invite brief feedback from the original poster on all the fine muds that were recommended, from which I hope he managed to find a new home.
Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #17
Raeven

Raeven is on a distinguished road
Well if you haven't found a new mud by now I suggest you check out Daedal Macabre, it meets your criteria almost to the letter. Come check us out, you will probably like it.

Raeven.
Raeven is offline   Reply With Quote