Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 04-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
Hello
I am looking to see what everyone is thinking of Legend of Terris.Is it a good game?what is good about it and such.
Thanks
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
AshtonEndal

AshtonEndal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AshtonEndal Send a message via MSN to AshtonEndal Send a message via Yahoo to AshtonEndal
I will try not to be biased ((promise))

Terris is a great place, there are a few downfalls from it (like the high payment) but for the most part it's a great place. You can just start RP out of the blue and people will jump in and have a go at it with you.

There isn't any real PVP, meaning you can't attack other players, but there are ways to kill them if you have the patience.

I've played a lot of MUDs in my days, but I always come back to Terris, the people are just the right flavors and everyone seems to be pretty cool.
AshtonEndal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Annya

Annya is on a distinguished road
If you like to play texted based games this is a lot of fun. I started to play a year and a half ago and enjoy questing mainly not hunting.

One problem IS the price for the game it is around 13-15 dollars a month for those who wish to play in the United states. Numbers shouldn't really matter they are in their 40's on a good night which is more than many of the other games I have played that were texted based.. You get 5 log ons which isn't nearly enough to explore especially if your only spending a half an hour at a time on a character. But you also get three characters.

There is always someone willing to help so if you wish to come and rp or even try it. Come on over
Annya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Gorilla J

Gorilla J is on a distinguished road
I like Terris, but I very rarely play because of the need for payment. I think I only have two or so log-ins left to my unregistered character.

It's fun, but not worth my money, especially since I suck at it.
Gorilla J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Marten

Marten is on a distinguished road
Aside from the vast number of unique quests, the world is absolutely massive. Several players have been playing for years and still haven't mapped the entire thing.

As was previously stated, there is no PvP and all character experience is derived either from questing, hunting non-player creatures or healing other players. Hunting creatures for exp can get a bit tedious but there is enough diversity so that it doesn't really become a problem. You can always take a break from leveling and start a roleplay at any time. Or you could just turn to your guild or temple leaders for something to do. Landwide events happen in Terris at the drop of a hat. A great number of these are even staff-assisted.

The 14 dollar a month cover charge is a bit pricey but the game wizard runs EXTREMELY smoothly and the game controls take but minutes to learn (though longer than that to master).

The player base has been dwindling for quite some time but the current players are taking steps in reviving Terris to what it once was. As of late, staff has been steadily growing in number and in my personal experience most staffers are very cooperative and helpful. The staffers and players alike have been working more effectively together recently and the game really looks like its heading in the right direction.

The combinations of classes, races and guilds aren't exactly EXTENSIVE (14 guilds, 9 classes, and 16 races) but they aren't as cheesey as some of the games that do feature upwards of 80 classes. Staff is actually currently working on adding several new classes to the game via a remort feature and the product of this work should be visible within the next month.

If you want a game that gives you complete control of your character, Terris is definitely for you. I got hooked on it just playing through the tutorial in the "Adventurer's Guild" at the beginning of the game and I haven't been able to kick the addiction since...

-Marten
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
tehScarecrow

tehScarecrow is on a distinguished road
Haha, I love the number of post counts you all have.

That said, I believe I played this Legend of Terris back on AoL. Maybe it was a different game but it also had no PvP. Great usage of colors though, that stuck in my mind, and a lot of flexibility in terms of what you can and can't describe on your character. I didn't know it was still around and might drop in on it some time after I finish my current projects if I remember to.
tehScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Legend of Terris used to be a huge game - hundreds nearing a thousand players would play it at a time, as my memory recalls. The world is large and it is a solid MUD(I'm not a fan of there being no PvP Combat).

Now here is what I will say to counter that;

It is cliqueish, largely. A MUD that was once one of the largest playerbases on the internet has dropped to averages of 20-30 players on a time(and the world is vast, so that makes the playerbase size seem even smaller). This should tell you something. Most of the players consider themselves "oldschool" these days and have been playing for around 10 years. It is not particularly newbie friendly, so the "five free logins" you have before you have to pay really are not enough to learn much of the MuD.

This brings me to my point - why has the playerbase size dropped so dramatically(dropped from averages between 600-900 to 20-30)?

A) Because the game does not offer as much gameplay variety as other pay-to-play MUDs. Ex: No PvP combat, small playerbase.
B) Because the game does not advertise nearly as well as other pay-to-play MUDs.
C) Because the game is not as professionally run these days as other pay-to-play MUDs.
D) Because the game charges too much monthly.

And there are more reasons. So, long story short; Legend of Terris is a good MUD if you like large, expansive worlds. That is really their only stand-out feature, though.

If they really wanted more people to play, I would suggest that they stop charging per-month and become completely free(like other MUDs of their quality), or at least move to a pay-for-perks model like IRE. As-is, the major reason their playerbase has become so small over the years is because the MUD isn't worth the money it charges to nearly all potential gaming customers.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Gorilla J

Gorilla J is on a distinguished road
Yes, because posting a lot or very little somehow makes your opinion of a game more or less valid. I love my post count too.
Gorilla J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
DonathinFrye

His insinuation was that someone from Legend of Terris probably asked the players to sign up for the forum here and advertise the MUD in a positive light(like asking players to go write good player reviews).

This is neither good, nor bad, but sometimes patterns can be taken into account in order to understand another user's point-of-view.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Marten

Marten is on a distinguished road
I understood his insinuation and where he was coming from. It's baseless though. Annya and I posted of our own accord. The reason I posted personally is because I'm aware of the existing problems in Terris and I know that some people are trying to fix them.

I do not happen to fall into the old school player category (I stopped playing for about 6 years and have only been playing again since October). I'm just trying to do what I can to get the word back out there because this is really a great MUD and half of it's problem is that there isn't adequate advertising for it. Do I agree that the price should be lowered (if not dropped)? Yes. The game is just too much fun for me to not play at this point.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
AshtonEndal

AshtonEndal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AshtonEndal Send a message via MSN to AshtonEndal Send a message via Yahoo to AshtonEndal
AshtonEndal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #12
DonathinFrye

I'll try to specify and re-articulate for the betterment of both Terris and the community that might be wondering about it.

A) Terris is not a bad MUD. It has some good features, assuredly.

B) Terris has the least attractive commercial(money) model out of all of the games that advertise here, probably. I would even prefer IRE's or Midievia's model, honestly, and that is a very difficult thing for me to even consider saying. This is because of how it charges by the pound(not by the dollar, as most in this community, though admittedly nto all, use the dollar), because it is overpriced, and because their "trial" period is very unattractive considering their gameplay is not particularly newbie friendly.

C) Terris' advertising scheme is kind of boring, making it draw less attention than other schemes here. As a commercial MUD, it is important to re-invest the money you make into designing banners and advertising that will draw attention.

D) Terris does lack gameplay variety. Not allowing for even the option of PvP and a few other gameplay elements makes your commercial product less marketable to the masses.

All of these contribute to the scariest and most tell-tale fact that major changes need to happen before Terris will be likely to draw in a crowd from this community(as far as my best educated guess would go);  Terris has, in the past decade or so-ish, dropped from an average of 600-900 players online at a time to 20-30.

I'm not denying that Terris may be fun. I would strongly encourage some overhauling choices to their staff, though, as a fellow admin and MUD advocate.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
tehScarecrow

tehScarecrow is on a distinguished road
tehScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Legend of Terris - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Legends of Terris AshtonEndal Advertising for Players 0 04-23-2006 01:16 PM
Alien Vs.Predator: Join the Legend (Or die trying) Kenjar Advertising for Players 1 09-18-2004 07:37 PM
Legend of the Green Dragon at jointhesaga.com! Brody Advertising for Players 0 04-29-2003 04:52 PM
Legend of The White Dragon Emerald Dragon Roleplaying and Storytelling 1 04-20-2002 12:03 AM