Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 08-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Aranoxx

Aranoxx is on a distinguished road
Talking

There are only 10 days left in the ReckoningMUD's beta-test period, so this is your last chance to get in on the ground floor, take part in the beta-test period, and qualify for the in-game tokens of appreciation we're handing out to all the beta-testers who make significant contributions to the game.

Connect to the ReckoningMUD at thereckoningmud 3333

On the web:

The ReckoningMUD is a unique gaming environment, derived from the RoAMUD 2.0 codebase and customized for intensive game-play.

The ReckoningMUD features the following:
* Six zone newbie area, complete with backstory.
* Over 150 playable areas.
* Fourteen classes, including a non-combat crafter class.
* Twenty unique races.
* Optional PK.
* And player-vs-player arena with no experience/eq loss.
* A two continent world.
* More than twenty different dimensions.
* Over 150 different quests spanning the known (and unknown) lands.
* No experience loss at death. Players accrue "reckoning" which must be worked off.
* A fully-integrated world set for Role-Playing (which is encouraged but not required).

On the web:
Aranoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Aranoxx

Old 08-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
vitae

vitae is on a distinguished road
Might I make a suggestion?
If you want people to check out your mud and have people, like myself, that wonder what you have to offer and the only way to do that is obviously thru your forums that is fine.
But maybe you shouldn't force people to register for your forum to see what classes/races your mud has to offer.
Just IMHO.
vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Aranoxx

Old 08-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
vitae

Wish I could say that was true.
Just went to visit and still couldn't view the race, class or policy folders.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
Aranoxx

Bah, that'll teach me to post without testing to make sure.

It really works this time.

Anyway, there's only three weeks left in the ReckoningMUD's beta-testing period, and we're still looking for mature, experienced players to put the MUD through its paces and assist us in identifying any remaining major issues!

Detailed information on the ReckoningMUD can be found at the ( really this time, honest, no fooling, it's a sure thing! ).

The ReckoningMUD itself is at thereckoningmud.org 3333.

We're interested in having players test out all classes and races, but especially <span style='color:green'>Crafters</span>, our new non-combat-intensive object-builder class.

All beta-testers who significantly contribute during this period will receive in-game tokens of appreciation from the staff as a "Thank You!" at the grand opening, coming in mid-September.

Any questions or comments can be sent to . We look forward to seeing you in the Reckoning Lands!

-Aranoxx
Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
vitae

Well, tried it. I made a gnome crafter.
For all of 20 mins before I decided that it wasn't for me. I know, not even close to being enuf time.

My reasons are thus:

1) There were at least 2 typos right at the begining of the creation process. I can understand typos in rooms descs, or mobs, but the 1st thing a new player sees IS the opening stuff, and to have typos on there is very shoddy.  I submitted 3 typos via the typo function, one of them, the one about stats I take back. after being on aardwolf for 7yrs, where there is a stats command, and seeing in a help file "see also stats" I just natually assumed that there was a stats command. It just meant to check the help file. WHOOPS.

2) NEWBIE CHANNEL IS FOR NEWBIES!  What do i mean? I'm lvl 1, just logged in. Wanted to say "HEYA!"  Typed newbie HEYA!  and I get a msg saying that I can't use the newbie channel until I'm lvl 2. Umm..yeah...

3) I was dropped in a "newbie area" with NO eq. NONE. Whatsoever. Ran into 2 mobs. I considered the 1st one, it woulda been able to kick my ass. I left that one alone. I walked some more. Came across mob #2. Considered it. What it said lead me to believe that I could kill it, maybe with some difficulty, but I might be able to.  3 rounds later i'm fleeing with 2hp's left. HELLO?...NEWBIE AREA...

4) I waited maybe a minute to let me HP's restore. I walked one south to find my mob, and walked into pitch darkness. Apparently night had set. Couldn't fight the mob, couldn't pick anything up, there was no map, and I kept walking into walls...rocks, whatever i was hitting. Now, while I HAD been walking around looking at the rooms, all i found was loads of leather, loads of driftwood and loads of bottles. No where had I found any thing resembling eq that I could wear. No where had I found even a torch. Some how, I have the feeling that even if I HAD found a torch, I wouldn't have been able to light it by just wearing it like every other mud, but would need a tinderbox to help me light it 1st. If this is a newbie area, and players are expected to lvl there, it WILL take some time since despite what consider says, the mobs WILL kick your ass, and having a few torches laying around wouldn't be a bad thing. And before anything is said about stats, I rolled my stats for 5 minutes. Settled for the best that I was able to get, which was 16 str and 15 dex and 8 con and some other stuff for the other stats. I never rolled anything better than 8 in con btw.

Pretty much after all this I decided to just leave well enuf alone and delete myself.
Oh, as for mature, I'm 34, have a wife and a very bright 3yr old daughter. I am the mud class-clown. I play and have fun, crack jokes and poke fun at people. I have mudded for about 9yrs now. I have climbed to Co-Clan Leader or Romani in Aardwolf (only cause no one wanted the job really...but I was drunk and didn't get outta the line fast enuf)
So I think I have a good level of maturity. Those that know me and read this are laughing thier asses off now, but they know it's true.
Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
Aranoxx

Old 08-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
Rathik

Rathik is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rathik
Perhaps instead of trying to prove how your MUD is so good, why not take some advice and feedback from the viewpoint of a newbie playing your MUD. No matter how right you are, or how right you think you are, it doesn't matter to the newbie who doesn't know what the #### is going on. Usually, the first 20 minutes are enough for a newbie to decide if they are going to stay, or leave right then. And you can't get a player base if no newbies ever stay.

Or you could just hope that most of your potential players who try out or test your MUD are experienced in your "model of gameplay."
Rathik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
Aranoxx

You're right, and I do take all constructive criticism and suggestions under consideration. Vitae did find a couple typos, reported them, and I fixed them immediately.

But his "review" seems to be analagous to eating an orange and telling everyone it's bad because it's not an apple. We aren't like the MUD he's used to, and probably never will be. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but it will cause players who are looking for something "just like what they know" to not enjoy what the ReckoningMUD has to offer. which is fairly unique.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
vitae

Everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. Better with a lemon wedge and a shot of Tequila :-)

2) Weird..just created again and the newbie thing is gone. I musta been wrong. Just checked OOC and it gave me the warning. Wierd.

3) So as a newbie you are a baby and unable to kill mobs that say that you can?
Sorry, hadn't seen the guide, thought it was part of the desc of the room and didn't notice it. Suggestion, make mobs of note in rooms a diff color to the desc of the room. And yes, ansi colors are turned on.
Also, went thru all the says with him, did a find and the only time east came up was with regards to the volcano. Wouldn't have thought the village was to the east with the volcano which is apparently active since the guide says it's smoking. Of course it dont say that it's at the base of it, so close by is subjective.
As for the football analogy, umm..there's no consider command IRL. If you walked into a football field with people weighing 3x as much as you and prolly a foot taller, that would be considered stupidity. But on a mud all you have to go on is a consider.

4.1) Map was on. I think I made that clear. Also think i made it clear that there is NO map once it gets dark.

4.2) Ah, well, since I didn't see the guide, that would explain that.

4.3) Well generally on other muds I've played, typing wear all is going to wear all wearable, wieldable, holdable eq in my inv. Or wear torch will be the same as hold torch. Of course, each mud is diff and not all use the same command the same way.  Btw: 'The Weapon says in auran, "Some professions allow you to actually wield two weapons simultaneously, but the second weapon is readied using the hold command instead of the wield command."' just curious, does that then mean that a torch cannot be held when wielding 2 weapons? Torches normally have thier own location and the only item affected by 2 weapons is the shield slot.

4.4) Wasn't looking for a fighter, I clearly understood what you meant with crafters. Was out looking for some exp since as it says in the forum for crafters: "They are the only profession in the Land not based solely around combat for their progress." To me, solely meant that they CAN fight. If they aren't expected to fight then should say "They are the only profession in the Land that does not gain experience around combat for their progress because they are unable to fight."  You would have to expect people would like to fight as well as do this crafting sutff. Of course those would be expected to create a new character for that i guess. I'd assume that in order to craft things, items need to be aquired. How to they get aquired? Out in the mud where mobs can attack them. If they can't defend themselves except to think nasty thoughts with thier "power of the mind over the power of the body" then they are dead :-)

Maturity) *snicker* Only been mudding for 10yrs, never been a "builder" exactly, just a few items on mushes and mucks for my own manor. But never anything considered even close to a real building exp.
My "personal requirements" were meant as something to help you see what might be a good idea. Thought the point of beta testing was to see what didnt work and how it could be improved.
I hope I haven't put off anyone to the mud at all. I just pointed out some stuff that happened to me when I created.
I really like the reroll command. tho having to put your own name since you can't reroll someone else is kinda silly.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 AM   #12
Aranoxx

There are only two weeks left in the ReckoningMUD's beta-testing period, and we're still looking for mature, experienced players to help us ferret out any remaining major issues!

Information on the ReckoningMUD itself, its races, classes, and policies is online at the . Beta-tester discussion on the forums requires registration.

Connect to the ReckoningMUD at thereckoningmud.org 3333.

We've got most of the bugs worked out of the entrance area, so now we're looking for players who will get off the island and begin testing the main continents. The end of beta is scheduled for September 15th.

Any questions or comments can be sent to. We look forward to seeing you in the Reckoning Lands!

-Aranoxx
Old 09-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
Aranoxx

There are only 10 days left in the ReckoningMUD's beta-test period, so this is your last chance to get in on the ground floor, take part in the beta-test period, and qualify for the in-game tokens of appreciation we're handing out to all the beta-testers who make significant contributions to the game.

On the web:

The ReckoningMUD is a unique gaming environment, derived from the RoAMUD 2.0 codebase and customized for intensive game-play.

The ReckoningMUD features the following:
* Six zone newbie area, complete with backstory.
* Over 150 playable areas.
* Fourteen classes, including a non-combat crafter class.
* Twenty unique races.
* Optional PK.
* And player-vs-player arena with no experience/eq loss.
* A two continent world.
* More than twenty different dimensions.
* Over 150 different quests spanning the known (and unknown) lands.
* No experience loss at death. Players accrue "reckoning" which must be worked off.
* A fully-integrated world set for Role-Playing (which is encouraged but not required).

On the web:
Old 09-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Hmmm, on 2 August 2005 you wrote:

And on 30 August 2005 you wrote:

And now the 5 September 2005 post appears identical to your first post, both saying...

Either your beta test period is over or time is looping in your mind.  Either way, bumping the same unedited post is quite annoying.

Just because the forum's slow doesn't mean we have to have multiple versions of the same thing repeated weekly.

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #15
Aranoxx

If there was a way to delete now-obsolete response messages, I would. But, as there isn't, I just have to keep adding things on as the timing changes.

I put the same response in both the first and last post so that new people would see the pertinent information at the top without going through the whole post (as many are relucatant to do), as would those who'd been reading this thread previously and would skip the first part, thinking it something already read.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, that was not my intent at all.

Mature Beta Testers Wanted - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Mature Staff for a Unique RPI MUD Jerusalem Advertising for Staff 0 09-15-2005 11:26 AM
RP Beta Testers Needed!!! Damarius Advertising for Players 2 09-01-2005 04:44 PM
Looking for Mature staff for a new mud xunil Advertising for Staff 0 08-26-2005 01:19 AM
Aeonfalls Online looking for closed beta testers! Hephos Advertising for Players 2 02-02-2005 07:12 PM
Alpha Testers Wanted Tavish Advertising for Players 2 12-03-2003 11:34 PM