Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
How Did You Name Your MUD?

As the title says, how did you name your game? Did you base it on the name of the world? A major character in the history? Some great feature you added? Just made it up?
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Ogma

Home MUD: DartMUD
Ogma is on a distinguished road
Re: How Did You Name Your MUD?

Well, our mud was originally implemented by students at Dartmouth College and in those days, names were simpler. Voila, DartMUD was born. Newcomers to the genre sometimes make fun of the name, but they fail to see how delightfully retro it is.

The name of our world, Ferdarchi, was named after the founders of the mud, Fermat, Darkstar and Chiaroscuro.
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
chaosprime

Home MUD: Lost Souls
chaosprime will become famous soon enough

Y'know, I actually have no idea; I inherited the name. I think the founders were just kicking around things at random.

Definitely nothing to do with the Poppy Z. Brite book. (We predate it, and all.)
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody

OtherSpace

I was building a space opera setting from scratch with lots of strange alien races. One of the first things I came up with was a name for the faster-than-light drives: OtherSpace Drives. So, the game name followed quickly from that. (I also liked the somewhat tongue-in-cheek genericness of it.)

Chiaroscuro

A fantasy game about the struggle between the magic of Shadow and Light. Seemed only natural to use the term from art about the interaction of light and darkness.

Necromundus

"I need a name for a world inhabited by the dead!"

And then I found some Latin.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: How Did You Name Your MUD?

Named after the world which is named after Karinth Dwerry, daughter of Mutt and Maelina Dwerry and the first Lander child born on the world itself. Besides, it refused to answer to Spot or Fido.
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum

Name? Wait ... you mean the game needs a name!?!

DOH!!!

*mumbles as he walks away* I knew I forgot something!
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

Achaea: Needed a name that placed us near the start of the alphabet since at the time the Big List of MUDs on Mudconnector was a reasonably easy way of gaining players and it was alphabetized. I've always been a big fan of Greek history, so Achaea was a perfect name.

Aetolia: Wanted another Greek name, and since the Aetolian League and Achaean League had warred at one point, we went with Aetolia.

Imperian: Made-up word. Liked the connotations.

Lusternia: Lusternia is a world-universe that the producer had been working on for many years as written fiction. I don't know where the name came from originally actually.

Midkemia Online: Pretty easy decision. Immediately recognizable by fans of Raymond E. Feist's books.

Earth Eternal: It just fit perfectly and the .com domain was available (practically the #1 factor in choosing a name for anything these days unfortunately).

Iron Realms: This took awhile to come up with. Domain availability was key, as was a short name that had a strong fantasy connotation.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

I didn't chose the name myself, since I only joined the Staff some time after the Mud was started.

However, it always seemed a very natural one to me, given our theme and general character.

4 Dimensions - because we are a Time Travel Mud, with 4 Different worlds to explore.

4 Dimensions - because there is more to it than meets the eye at first sight. An extra depth to the zones, an extra Dimension to the game.

Incidentally I also think that it is a very good name.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
chaosprime

Home MUD: Lost Souls
chaosprime will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: How Did You Name Your MUD?

The idea of a MUD along those lines always makes me think of Sam & Max. "Hey, little buddy! There's trouble in ancient Egypt!" And next panel, there they are in ancient Egypt.

If you don't have a Freelance Police profession, you should.
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

Hehe, that pretty much sums up our game, Muirdach. :-)

Except for the Dog & Bunny part of course.
We may have some adult material in the zones, but we are not a 'Furry Mud'. :P
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:35 AM   #11
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I was at the airport in San Jose, California, awaiting to pick up a friend and sitting next to a curly haired man with glasses. We were discussing baggage as he had his taken off a flight by another passenger on accident and I was arguing how that could happen if your name was right on your bag. He said, "Well, I don't use my direct name on my bag so it's difficult." And I responded, "Well, what's in a name, like anyone would know you."

As a flight manager with two security guards walked up and got his attention he had this odd familiar look to his face as he winked saying, "Everything." I sat for a moment thinking I knew that guy from somewhere. When the flight manager returned, I asked, "Hey, that guy looked familiar a bit, who was he?" The flight manager said, "Oh, that's Brent Spiner." When I looked perplexed he said, "You know, the robot guy from star trek, Data." I laughed and wished I had a pen. I mean, who would have thought Data had curly hair and glasses.

Okay, enough of my anecdotes. I guess I would say that New Worlds has a bland name compared to many of the other very adventuresome names on TMS. The name came from the idea that the game has the potential and storyline for world to world travel even though it is medieval fantasy based (very similar to the Raymond E. Feist Books). This concept stemmed from the book the game is based on found here:

Which speaks of how the home world (where players start) was created. There was some talk of modifying the name to something directly out of the book or to the home world name "Ateraan", but with its longevity and structure that would prove difficult at this time. Still, Ateraan, in mine and likely most of our playerbase would prove a much better name.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote