Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 04-29-2002, 09:27 PM   #1
kaylus1

Old 04-30-2002, 12:07 PM   #2
Seth

Seth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seth Send a message via MSN to Seth
Well, first you will have to decide what kind of MUD you want, as some engines are more suited for different thingsby default. For example, stock SMAUG comes with a built in battle system, but with only minor features suitable for roleplaying intensive MUDs, like complicated emotes/poses, titles, ranks, houses, nobility, etcetera. I'm fairly sure that each codebase has it's strong and weak points.

Hence why I think it would be impossible to give a clear definition of what engine is the best choice for a MUD. It's like telling people what kind of computer is the best they could use without asking them what they are going to use it for.
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 04:32 PM   #3
Sevoric

Sevoric is on a distinguished road
I am mostly into smaugs..I've grown SOO used to it..I played a mush for 5 minutes and my mind blew up. Feels so weird playing a new codebase.
Sevoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:18 PM   #4
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
uhh dont you mean Codebase.... server is what the codebase runs on. I.E. Linux, Unix, windows <---gags on windows...
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
kaylus1

I know what kind of mud -I- want to run, I run a custom coded mudlib using the MudOS Driver. I was asking what the personal preferences of what other people are regardless of that OTHER people think, in other words -YOUR- opinion. =)

Two replies to this.

Reply 1: I brought MudOS, LDMud and Amylaar into the picture. These are SERVERS. If I brought up codebase (or mudlib with them) you might as well be choosing which LPMUD you think is best. The same applies to Mush I think, though am not certain. Mordor is also called, Mordor Server. Using the term codebase would unjustly group these all into one category, as the mudlib on LPmud's could be termed the "codebase" *chuckle* So I chose the generic mud "server".

Reply 2: The question "What server is best for running a mud" refers to the term "Mud Server" In which all muds fall into the category. Just like ftp server, web server, telnet server. This I have noticed applies just as well to DIKU-type muds. (search for "diku mud server" on google).  The question may have been tricky when you just saw the topic listing, but when you opened it up, i'm sure it became evident I was referring to the "mud server" itself, not the computer serving the mud.

The main goal of my question was for personal opinion to find out where everyone's standpoints are. Not totally in playability, but from a coder's standpoint. Easy to use? Neat Code? Easy customization/adding of new elements?.. etc. I just didn't get that long for a topic title.

Kaylus@Solice
Old 04-30-2002, 08:48 PM   #6
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
ahh, i understand now, thanks for clearing that up.
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:55 AM   #7
f451

If I were to start a new mud, I would go for DGD. As it is now, I stick to LD mud. Not much for Amylaar though.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:36 AM   #8
Alastair

Alastair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alastair
If I were to create my own MUD, I'd stick to the MudOS / Lima combo, since that's what I'm most comfy with.
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:32 PM   #9
Astin

Astin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Astin Send a message via AIM to Astin Send a message via Yahoo to Astin
Question

Astin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:49 PM   #10
Koryon

Koryon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Koryon Send a message via MSN to Koryon
Care to give some more info on it? There is one on my host and it takes up more resources than most muds, so what's all in it?
Koryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:34 PM   #11
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
There is no 'best' codebase for a MUD. It depends on the personal preferences of the creator of said MUD.

Meinh. This is asking for a flame, but I'm far too lazy today to bother trying to flame at all.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:16 PM   #12
kaylus1

Old 05-03-2002, 12:28 AM   #13
Grey

Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
Question

Best server to host on..
The reliable kind.
~Grey
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 07:39 AM   #14
Astin

Send a message via ICQ to Astin Send a message via AIM to Astin Send a message via Yahoo to Astin
Old 05-10-2002, 11:14 PM   #15
Noplex

Noplex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Noplex Send a message via AIM to Noplex Send a message via Yahoo to Noplex
I will have to say that a custom codebase is always the best way to go if you have the experience; team; and know-how to create one.

It offers the best possiblities; exactly what you want; but it'll take some time.

If I had to start over on a game (which I might be doing soon enough) it would most likely start out as a custom codebase; now because I have the knowledge of how to create one and get one running.
Noplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 08:02 PM   #16
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:44 PM   #17
Seth

Seth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seth Send a message via MSN to Seth
That list looks impressive to me, but I'm pretty much retarded when it comes to actuall features of codebases. Do you have anything to compare it with, for example? I'm really curious to see what it has and has NOT in comparrison to other codebases.

Furthermore, can you please tell me under which license the DoT codebase is licensed? I'm thinking the GPL, but I'm not sure really...

(And some tell Nick Gammon I need to make love to him badly, for making such an absolutely rocking client! RegEx support and VB/Jscripting! (even tho I hate those languages. Make it work with Javascript or PHP and I'll marry you, I'll even start playing MUDs again just because of your great client!!! )
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 11:40 PM   #18
Astin

I think Kalahn would be better at giving you an answer to that type of question than I would. I asked him to stop by and give you answer. Also heh I let Mr. Gammon know that you liked his client as well. Heh I got it made best client and best code base (IN MY OPINION so don't get flamish heh)

-- Astin
Old 06-11-2002, 07:05 AM   #19
snowfruit

snowfruit is on a distinguished road
snowfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 07:07 AM   #20
thelenian

thelenian is on a distinguished road
Definitely LDMUD.
thelenian is offline   Reply With Quote

What is the best server for creating a mud? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creating an economy coranthium Advanced MUD Concepts 21 06-06-2010 02:21 PM
Creating a Mud Rykkan Newbie Help 12 12-01-2005 10:34 AM
Mud Server Khadgar MUD Coding 3 12-31-2004 01:52 AM
Creating a MUD Rjakegel Newbie Help 15 03-21-2004 08:14 PM
Help with Creating a Guild/Clan Enzo Roleplaying and Storytelling 4 02-19-2003 01:06 PM