Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 02-02-2003, 03:50 PM   #1
halkeye

Name: Gavin
halkeye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to halkeye Send a message via AIM to halkeye Send a message via MSN to halkeye
hrm, i distinctly remember doing this before, back when TMS was using a hacked UBB setup.

I've been mudding since like 97 or 98. I found the original SWR mud while searching the web for something completely different... dilbert screensavers i think..

After a year or so, that shut down, and i bounced around from mud to mud until around june 99, when i decided i wanted to work on one of my own.. well not so much create a mud, but just mess around with a code base, a month later, after being coaxed by a few friends, july of 99, Unknown Regions was created and opened to the public..

At that time, i had almost no previous programming experience ( i did have basic (gw and qbasic) as well as the most simplest c coding backgrounds (i knew of sprintf and datatypes and stuff, but that was it)

During the next year and a half, UR had alot of problems, staffing, hosting, and even my own personal issues, we bounced from host to host, usually on either mine, or a proffessional hosting service which i somehow managed to get free hosting on. Eventually, after all those seemed to run out, and my own host had been rooted (silly old default redhat setups eh?), i went with the host that one of my imms offered me...

Unfortuatly, at that time, the sysadmin (and the imm) decided that i was no longer fit to run things, and changed all the system passwords and took over.. Infact that mud is still up, under a different name.. At that time i had gotten the help of KaViR to help me quell all the arguments of the players and imms who chose sides.

Shortly after that, i tried to reopen UR as a completly new mud, witth different areas and such, but that turned out to be futile, as i had lost my interest at the time..

Since then, i have started, and nearly completed a degree in Programming (our school calls it Computer Systems Technology), and have got the spark of my interest by someone suggestiing i check out a WOT themed mud, unfortualty since i knew nothing of that universe, i was way confused about things, so didn't stick around long, but was convinced to help them try to fix thier code a bit.. but due to lack of time and interest, that really never happened..

Since then i have looked back at a few muds which have opened up using the code from my old UR mud, and gained interest in starting up another.

So I decided to this time start something from scratch, which seems alot more enjoyable as i do love the challenge of learning new things, which the sockets thing was defanatly new to me.

Yea, so thats my history, Some of you might remember me, but i doubt too many would,

Thanks for your time,
halkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:24 PM   #2
halkeye

Name: Gavin
halkeye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to halkeye Send a message via AIM to halkeye Send a message via MSN to halkeye
Oh Yea,

Mud coding is not my ownly experiences..

Between my last mud, and now, i've delt with asp, php, perl, and sql

I worked for for about a year, doing bug fixes as well as implementing new features.

Just thought i'd add that.. i'm not just a pretty face... er i mean mud coder/player/administrator...
halkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Back again - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MND is Back Muerte Advertising for Staff 1 03-19-2006 11:24 AM
Age of Reptile is back! Kenjar Advertising for Players 10 08-18-2004 08:29 PM
RetroMUD is back...AGAIN! talien Advertising for Players 0 08-24-2002 10:59 AM
Can I come back? LikitaRenn Tavern of the Blue Hand 40 08-09-2002 12:09 PM
RetroMUD is Back! talien Advertising for Players 0 07-16-2002 09:00 PM