Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
Over the last week or so, I started checking out a few of the top muds just to see what they are like. And while trying Achaea this last week, ingame I was reminded twice to "Do My Achaean Duty" ... to vote.

Now, I never turned this option on, and I couldn't find a way to turn it off. Which, seems like a violation of the newer clarified rules about voting, this site, and bugging players.

Please understand I am not trying to start a flamewar ... those are just stupid. But I am posting something here for a few reasons: it affords me a small amount of anonymity while playing on other peoples' games; and as was stated in that last thread, the owner of this site probably relies on self-policing by it's members.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Hajamin

Hajamin is on a distinguished road
To clarify, this reminder was originally turned on but you could turn it off with CONFIG. After the changes it seems IRE disabled the reminder, though some people are still getting the message. It's a bug, and I will point it out so it gets fixed quickly. Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't noticed it personally.
Hajamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Yeah, those bugs can be really annoying - I'm actually having similar problems with a bug on my mud which randomly lags players who haven't voted, while giving bonus exp and better item drops to those who have. I've already apologised to my players about it, and told them I'll try to fix it in the next few weeks.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
I think you're misunderstanding the rules. You're allowed to remind people to vote, and they don't need a way to turn it off. That allows mud admins to do things like shout "Please vote for us now!" where the reception of the message has nothing to do with whether you've voted or not.

If, however, you send our reminders to people based on whether they've voted or not, it must be an opt-in system with a way to easily opt-out.

In our case, the system simply reminds everyone to vote, which is perfectly legal, and which would be nearly impossible to patrol for anyway (imagine the accusations, "On 12/20, an admin on MUD Y shouted, "VOTE!!" to everybody in game.")

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
Aeyr

Aeyr is on a distinguished road
Heh, Kavir, you're too cute.
Aeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
WoDMUD

WoDMUD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to WoDMUD Send a message via AIM to WoDMUD Send a message via MSN to WoDMUD Send a message via Yahoo to WoDMUD
I have a gag script on the mud client I use, it makes it easy to ignore annoying events, or people.
WoDMUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Dovolente

Home MUD: Avendar: the Crucible of Legends
Dovolente is on a distinguished road
Rules are rules, and lines need to be drawn, sure. But--is it just me, or are shout-out reminders only a very small step away from from autoreminders, on the continuum of lameness?
Dovolente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
I am not sure how shout-out reminders violate the rule or the spirit of the rule.

We have no automatic reminder system at LoK. We're grateful to anyone who takes the time to vote, but we neither reward such voting nor penalize those who do not.  We do a single gecho once a day, giving the website address and thanking folks for choosing to vote.  If that violates a rule or spirit, we'll simply stop doing it.
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
the_logos
Legend

Shout-out reminders do not violate either the rule or spirit of the rule, don't worry. The rules were specifically crafted to allow global messages to people about voting.

--matt
Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
I’m confused.

If this is all 'perfectly' legal, why then is Hajamin referring to it as a bug, that will be ‘fixed quickly’?
Anitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
the_logos
Legend

Beats me, though it looked to me like Hajamin misunderstands the rules as well as what was going on on Achaea.

--matt
Old 12-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
KaVir
Legend

Probably in relation to this comment:

Lanthum: "I never turned this option on, and I couldn't find a way to turn it off."

Which is covered here:

"...Such a system must also allow a player to easily opt out of it at any time, also with no positive or negative effect, and it must be off by default".
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #13
the_logos
Legend

I'm unsure what your point is, insofar as what Lanthum is talking about isn't the kind of system covered by the rule you quote.

--matt
Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #14
KaVir
Legend

The rule I quoted states:

"You cannot have a system that ‘nags’ a player about voting in response to whether they’ve voted or not unless participation in the system is totally voluntary with no tangible positive or negative effects for a player choosing to use or not use such a system. Such a system must also allow a player to easily opt out of it at any time, also with no positive or negative effect, and it must be off by default."

Could you please clarify in what way exactly the system Lanthum described is not covered by the above rule, and provide a reference to the appropriate exception clause in the rules?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 PM   #15
the_logos
Legend

I already did, in my first post in this thread. Go read it.

--matt
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM   #16
Angie

Angie is on a distinguished road
It is not covered by the rule because it does not distinguish between players "in response to whether they’ve voted or not". In that sense, an automated message that gets sent to everybody is no different from a global shout by an admin, and is perfectly in accordance with TMS rules.

Does it disadvantage muds that refuse to nag? Sure. Is it against the rules? Nope.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #17
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
I guess the reason why I, and apparently others too, where confused is that the rules were modified twice in as many days.

Anitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:53 PM   #18
Lanthum

Ok, I understand what Matt is saying. And that makes sense. I was misunderstanding - though not the rules, but his system. I thought it was something that was "nagging" me, because I "did not vote".

But I still have the question of why Hajamin said he doesn't see them. It sounds as if SOME players are getting them, and others are NOT. And that would be (should be) against the rules.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:55 PM   #19
the_logos
Legend

It's not illegal for some players to get them and others not to get them. It's only illegal if you're basing who gets them on whether someone has voted or not.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:56 PM   #20
Lanthum

So then how do you decide who gets them and who doesn't.

Concern about the New Voting Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reminder on voting rules. Lasher TMS Announcements and Feedback 0 05-29-2007 06:58 PM
Virtual Worlds - The Rules of Engagement the_logos Tavern of the Blue Hand 3 05-04-2006 12:36 PM
Rules for / moderation of reviews Fishy Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 04-12-2006 01:21 PM
More fun voting Hephos Tavern of the Blue Hand 1 06-11-2003 08:32 PM
Voting Tocamat MUD Administration 35 02-20-2003 04:48 AM