Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 05-24-2002, 01:55 AM   #1
Miyamoto

Miyamoto is on a distinguished road
Angry

I guess this is both specific and general... I've found myself in this situation several times: I spend a great deal of time and thought on an area, and, finally finishing it, find it simply lacks the OOF (for lack of a better word) I wanted it to have. One: I've invested so much time into the area, I can't force myself to trash it, and Two: I usually don't have the energy to trash it and start over again.

In my particular case, I let the area be as it is, but I tend to wince when someone mentions it. They aren't bad areas, but I, as a builder, am disappointed in my own results. I was just wondering what you guys thought... scrap it and try again? Let it be, as long as it isn't too bad for players?
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 02:58 AM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I think we all have areas that we are not too proud of. My own first efforts as a Builder were pretty crappy.

But I wouldn't scrap anything, unless it is obviously unbalanced. Just leave it as it is, adding to the size of your word. Who knows, some players may like it, the taste varies a lot. And if nothing else it will make good hunting grounds.

Later, at a time when you feel more motivated, you can go over the area again, and add some things to make it more interesting to you and others. A very tough mob in a hidden room, some useful object (not necessarily good equipment), some tricky quest. There are lots of things that can spruce an area up, but it's better doing them when you feel inspired.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 03:17 AM   #3
Lily

Lily is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Lily
Without knowing your as a person or your building abilities it'd be a hard assessment to make.
As an artist, you are naturally going to be your own worst critic. Given that you seem to care enough that you'd post such a note and admitted that you've spent much time on an area, I'd think that your areas are as you want them to be but now that they're open to the public, you're shy about them. It's natural. Take Molly's advice and leave them be until you feel confident enough knowing the needs of your players as whole, then tweak your areas.

I am a very slow builder. I'm know what the mud needs but I also like to add my own little quirky twists to keep people interested and coming back (It's an elaborate quest area and the outcome can end in at least 4 different ways...still working on it). I'm very satisfied with my work in progress but I still insist on at least 2 different people looking thru it to give me inspiration or ideas that never occured to me. Embarassing as it is to say, I admit I've been working on my area for 9 months. My downfall is room descs :/
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 12:27 PM   #4
Brianna

Brianna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Brianna Send a message via MSN to Brianna Send a message via Yahoo to Brianna
Lightbulb

As Lily said, I am my own worst critic. I have a certain standard I set for myself but RL does sometime detract from my building. In cases where I am not satisfied with my work I will not allow it to be linked into play until I feel that it is complete and worthy of play.

As head builder, I also tend to be more critical on myself than I am others. When proofing areas for other builders prior to link in, I check spelling, grammar, and overall flow of the area.
As a player (to me) nothing is worse than an area changing themes mid stream (unless its a quest type area).

Well that is my thoughts.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 02:15 PM   #5
donalban

donalban is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to donalban Send a message via Yahoo to donalban
Thumbs up

It seems we all agree that we are our own worst critics. I learned some time ago that if I continue to critique my work until I think it is 'flawless' (never happens imho) it becomes something differrent than I intended.

I listen to my instincts and try not to overdo the dramatics in my designs. Just because I'm not totally pleased doesn't mean some players won't find it amusing.

Take Molly's suggestion - let the area sit for a few days and come back at it. The time away will give you and idea what you need to add to bring a little adventurous pizazz!
donalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 09:12 PM   #6
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
Building a unique, complicated, interesting zone is a challenge for even experienced builders with many zones under their belt. I've seen many put up decent but somewhat bland zones to begin with, then spend periods of time going back into it and improving this or that, fine tuning so to speak until it's a great zone.

Some find proofing other zones give them ideas for neat things, some take on two zones at once and bounce back and forth as the ideas strike them. I write little notes to myself in a special notebook I keep with me at all times and usually am working on three zones at once. Hmm, that is when I'm not proofing or editing some shortcoming somewhere.

Overall, I think the important thing is to remember these are works of art we are creating and I can't envision any true artist ever thinking the last one was their coup de grace or ultimate masterpiece. Take breaks, switch a focus, experience other zones with always keeping an eye to improving a published work instead of trashing it, they take too much time to create from scratch.

Iluvatar
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:38 AM   #7
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
I tend to disappoint myself often, but I think that's a common trait for all builders. When I end up with an area I'm really diappointed in, I let it be, and eventually go back to it at a later date and re-work it. If I'm just mildy disappointed in it, I let it go, and re-work parts of it as the inspiration hits.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:19 AM   #8
Lily

Lily is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Lily
That's another flaw of mine.  I'll critique the heck out of my work, adding/removing progs, etc, until it becomes something unlike what I envisioned.  Many times I've had to stop and say to myself "Nice idea but does it really fit into the theme?" and chances are, it didn't.  Alot of times I thought of a clever prog to add to a mob but then I realized it would change the whole personality of said mob so, altho I whined and cried to myself cuz this prog was oh-so-great, I didn't make the change.  I've had the misfortune of entering areas where the author didn't give one whit about the player.  On an h&s mud I played, the author only cared about killing the players as often as possible.  Didn't care that all the roaming and aggro mobs with no less than 10 attacks each gravitated towards the trans room so that as soon as you were transed, you were immediately attacked by 15 mobs.  I kid you not when I say that as soon as the smoke cleared, me and my party of 3 had 40-45 corpses laying at our feet.  This is the very same area I mentioned in the thread about colors on a mud.

Anyway, I say if you DO edit your area, make sure it's beneficial, in every way, shape, and form, to the mud.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 02:39 PM   #9
mhc

mhc is on a distinguished road
Hmm... but I'm _never_ finished with an area. Years after it was created, I return to it and add things. I would say that if you're not really satisfied with the initial result, you can always save it for a rainy day and improve it then.
mhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 04:54 PM   #10
melopene

melopene is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to melopene
If I don't like an area, even after I've put it into play, I keep going. I go back and add a shop, a little prog here and there, an extra room, a hole in the wall... cool little stuff to keep people coming back.

I've always been a big proponent of dynamic areas, not so much of having seasonal and night and 18 million descs per room - that's just silly. Instead, I like to see cities that builders don't just finish and let go, but go back to, and refine, and change a little over time - it shows not only a vested interest in the game and the area, but it also gives players a reason to keep coming back.

Melly
melopene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 05:17 PM   #11
Miyamoto

Miyamoto is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 03:00 AM   #12
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:19 PM   #13
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
'Chuckle,' I'm quite sure you would Visco given the credentials of some of these responders.

Set your standards, hire selectively based on resume and demonstrated potential. Attention to detail and a work ethic even though it's a hobby can be readily identified if you look for it.

Iluvatar
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 10:55 AM   #14
donalban

donalban is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to donalban Send a message via Yahoo to donalban
Being a GM for various games for over a decade has aided me tremendously in my building. One aspect I bring from the world of TRPG is that players build the game themselves without actually realizing they are. I take all the suggestions and ideas from players and incorporated them into my designs.

Even the most assinine suggestion can be a creative boost for something I may have planned for another area. It's also fun to watch someone who submitted a suggestion actually see their idea come to life somewhere in the MUD.
donalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:27 PM   #15
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 06:04 PM   #16
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 05:43 PM   #17
Artovil

Artovil is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Artovil
Artovil is offline   Reply With Quote

Personal Standards as a Builder - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now Hiring Head Builder, Asst. Head Builder, etc Sytar Advertising for Staff 0 08-23-2006 02:57 AM
Codong Standards karlan MUD Coding 6 05-17-2003 05:58 PM
Builder looking for RPI mud Bastien Advertising for Staff 4 02-13-2003 10:04 PM
Making Plots Personal Khamura Roleplaying and Storytelling 10 06-19-2002 04:35 AM
What do you, as a builder, want? Ostoles MUD Builders and Areas 13 06-14-2002 05:30 PM