Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 08-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #21
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road
Re: iPhone MUD Client

Yeah, I think without a client it'd be ok for checking in on your game, hanging out maybe etc, but actual play might be a hassle. Though, with a nice client so you could touch directions, have a kill ____ box, drag/drop names into it, look button, get button (with drag/drop boxes)...

I guess we'll see where it goes, but I'm already looking at a BRIEF_COMBAT toggle for people, something that takes out all of the nifty other messages and boils it down to You <hittype> <them> (damage). etc. Heck, quite a few would like that for large battles anyway, 20 attacking, kind of insane wall-o- text to watch otherwise.

I did find a couple MUD clients out there, one for iphone, one for Portable PC (er windows hand helds?), but both looked kind of 'blah' the iphone one didn't have color etc.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #22
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about

Does the iphone support Flash? If it does, FMUD might be a good alternative.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #23
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Windows Client

I'm not sure of the availability, but if there is a windows phone that is setup up like windows, a windows client would be easy to build, even specific phones. I might build it myself.

The trouble is the typing speed. Aliases would be the big helper there unless you get a fancy plug in short keyboard (which is possible). Still the text size is an issue. With my blackberry client it is very small in order to see more.

Give it some time, we might get some slightly larger screens and better attached pocket keyboards. But then aren't we turning our phones into laptops?

Speaking of laptops, perhaps they will come out with a half-n-half. Sort of a laptop with wifi that has phone capability that is the size of a small dvd/tv player.

Food for thought.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #24
Zivilyn

Re: Windows Client

Yeah, exactly, Laptop Mini's, sounds perfect.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 AM   #25
Fate

Home MUD: http://www.baskettcase.com/edge/
Fate is on a distinguished road

I would love an iPhone mud client.. I currently use telnet once in awhile just to check in on my mud, but you can't seriously or even half seriously play
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:24 AM   #26
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Amen, brotha.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #27
Fate

Home MUD: http://www.baskettcase.com/edge/
Fate is on a distinguished road

Well look what I found today:

Has anybody purchased it and tried it out? It looks pretty smooth, only one review so far.. Im thinking about it.. Im just not sure how "feasible" mudding on an iphone would be, regardless of how good the tool is... but man.. it's tempting
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #28
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

The opposite has happened it looks like. Blackberry has doubled its market share since last year.

Blackberry had a 17.4% marketshare last quarter while Windows mobile only had about 12%.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
Newworlds
Legend

Has anyone noticed any further developments here? Blackberry, Iphone, et al?

I remember Threshold mentioned some company that had millions of clients related to a text only product, but I can't find the thread or remember the product/company.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #30
Zivilyn

I did find that iPhone'd don't support flash yet, so the FMUD option wouldn't work even if there was an FMUDmobile or such. Still waiting on more info on the clients too.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #31
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

I suppose it all depends on the way the game is programmed as to how viable it would be on an iphone... if it was like the stormwind client that Gemstone uses it woukld work perfectly fine with just a few tweaks. the amount i had to type in the 2 weeks I played that were.. well none except for a few conversations.. but I cannot for the life of me seeing how a purely text input game would work.. unless it had speech recognition..

Of course speech recognition would be worth its weight in gold just to see the looks of peoples faces on the train as you were playing your RPI mud

"kill goblin"
"say 'have at thee you scaley green, snotnosed bastard'"
"dance on goblin corpse"
"think 'that will teach you to try and charge me 50 gold pieces for goblin piston lubricant'"
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #32
garrett0168

garrett0168 is on a distinguished road

I am interested in getting into iPhone app development, and was thinking of creating a MUD client for the iPhone and iPod Touch, by porting an open source client such as TinTin++ or TinyFugue, and then adding some sort of GUI or interface to make MUDding much more feasible. Would there still be any interest in this sort of app? Since I don't have a Mac, I'd probably have to purchase one for development, and to cover the costs I would probably have to charge something. Does anybody think there will still be an audience or interest in using this app?
garrett0168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #33
Zivilyn

Sounds great Garret, not sure you need a Mac to test them though? I know of people that use iPhones and sync with their Win machines (via iTunes I think?). Personally, I know I'd use my iPhone to mud here and there, so yeah that'd be cool. As far as a Gui, find the dimensions and I can shop up a concept to bounce around.

I know that you can send info to the client via telnet subnegotiation, so you could have standardized 'add this to allow for health/mana' meters, Perhaps just make the main window larger if it doesn't receive that info.

I'm actually looking at making a 'cell mode' for my own game with brief combat (with regards to amount of text sent).
Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #34
Newworlds
Legend

You almost need a "court reporter" mode for cell phone/blackberry MUD interaction. Incoming text is never a problem, typing out commands and talking is.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #35
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road

You definately need a mac to code for iPhone, anything else would be plain stupid if not impossible. And you need to be approved into the iPhone Developer program which can take anything from 1 week to several months to get into. (took us about 2 months)

Also, there is already an iPhone mud client (which IMO sucks) called iMud.

We're also looking into putting together a client sometime soon and we have a couple apps in App Store already Too bad someone stole the "iMud" name though and made a ****ty client with it! (No offense if you read this :P)
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #36
garrett0168

garrett0168 is on a distinguished road

I did a search for iphone mud client and iMUD never showed up, so I didn't know it's already been done. I'll have to try that one out and see how usable it is. Does anybody know if iMUD was written from scratch or was ported from another existing client?
garrett0168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #37
buzztroll

buzztroll is on a distinguished road

I made a blackberry mud client recently that is available on handango. I would give it for free to anyone here that is interested in giving me feedback on making it better.

buzztroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #38
Markov_AU

Name: Ben
Home MUD: Adventures Unlimited
Markov_AU is on a distinguished road

It looks like there are a few telnet projects for phones

Iphone:

and mot generally is the one i have on my blackberry:

Markov_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #39
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough

Both TinTin++ and TinyFugue are GPL which would rule out charging a fee, unless you use TinTin++ version 1.84 or lower which is public domain, or talk me into licensing you a non GPL copy.

Tintin's input, split screen, and color handling requires VT100 emulation, probably the same for TF, and I'm not sure if that's available for the iPhone. You might be better off enhancing an open source telnet app for the iPhone with mud client features.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #40
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

Guys, check this out:

Bedlam (graphic MUD):

Bedlam LT (free lite version):

MUDMaster (telnet client with ANSI colors, macros, soon triggers):

--Plamzi