Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road
Searching: The Walking Dead MUD

With October rolling around and people here in the states getting in the holiday season, I usually invest in a plethora of scary movies. However, one genre of horror flick always snags my breath away - the zombie movie. The Walking Dead season 3 is aimed to air this Sunday, and it has been one of the most influential new dramas, and subjectively the best zombie drama (maybe the only, but I have a tendency not to hear about cool things).

So, with all these influences wrapping around me, warping my mind to significantly darker things, I'm going to ask a question that I've asked before: where can a guy find a decent horror MUD? Preferably an RPI with zombies, and preferably not HellMOO. While I completely love the style of HellMOO it's not something I'd play consistently.

In short:

-I'd like to play at a RP enforced zombie MUD.

-Like most gamers, if such a place is only 'in the works' at this point, I'd really love to offer assistance. I can build rooms, mobs, and items, have a basic understanding of scripting, can work on lore, serve as an RP admin, and have a decent head for maintaining policy although no formal experience with it.

-If there isn't a RP enforced zombie MUD out there, are there any horror-thriller MUDs in the works? I try to stay up to date on my MUDs, especially ones that take darker themes, but again I'm significantly prone to not hearing about cool things until after the fact.
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
oisin

oisin is on a distinguished road
Re: Searching: The Walking Dead MUD

Yeah that could be cool if it was done right.

Preferably one without any levels and without skills that you have to grind or work on to put up.

Just you. Your friends. Your wits. And your instinct to survive.

Find things to use as weapons. Hit the buttons to move fast enough not to be caught by a group of zombies. Collect items and barricade yourself into somewhere.

Permadeath!
oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Leech

Those are the features I'm hoping for in a nutshell, Oisin. DayZ, a graphic mod for a game called ARMA 2 is going to be making a standalone PC game, marketed similar to Minecraft. (In that you pay, and the game is updated regularly.) While DayZ is awesome, it doesn't have the RP that I thrive off of and that is accessible through MUDs.

Once upon I time I was working as a builder for a guy who was making a MUD like the one I'm looking for. Unfortunately I lost touch with the project and afterwards it went under, as far as I know. At least, I can't find it anymore.

I do have a thousand and one ideas. Every hardcore MUDder eventually gets so many ideas that urge them to start a MUD. I have looked into it and it isn't something that I feel comfortable doing at this point in my life. So, for now, I'd like to keep this MUD on the subject of searching for people who either know of a MUD that follows in the zombie RPI vein, or know of one in the makes.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
drakkos

Home MUD: Epitaph
drakkos is on a distinguished road

We're not RP enforced, and we're not currently open except in a holding pattern until we release properly, but you might want to check us out at Epitaph - epitaphonline.co.uk:6789.

You'll be able to find out a vast amount about what we're trying to do on our development blog at . The helpfiles will also show a lot of how the game works.

Currently we've shared off into two servers - one is our 'there but not modified' live server, the other is our more active dev server. At some point in the relatively near future (longer than weeks, less than years) we're going to push over our current development code and the game will be 'open' in v1.0 form.
drakkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
drakkos

Home MUD: Epitaph
drakkos is on a distinguished road

Oh, and if you thought you might be interested in contributing at some point, you could also check out which shows you exactly how our game code is put together.

Drakkos.
drakkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

Epitaph is good, if you aren't looking for RPI. When they open officially, they've got a good chance of being the most original thing since godwars2. Really.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Leech

Sorry, but Epitaph just isn't right for me. I really am looking for an RPI zombie/survival horror MUD. Best of luck with it, though. Looks like you have made a good base structure.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
Leech

With Halloween just around the corner I thought I'd give this a bump. Sadly, I still haven't found a zombie-survival RPI, or a horror-survival RPI. If anyone knows of one, or of one in the works, I'd be very happy to know of it.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

I don't play this personally, for a variety of reasons, but hellmoo is survival without the zombies.

I don't think you'll find a survival/zombie rpi. I haven't heard of one either, and I don't think that'd work well as an rp setting, without a lot of coding work beforehand. Epitaph is the only zombie mud I'm aware of at all, in any category.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Orion

Orion is on a distinguished road

It sounds like an interesting idea. I love The Walking Dead. I wouldn't want it to be an action game though, which seems to have happened, for example, in the case of the Resident Evil games. It would have to be survival horror, which would mean most of the time not fighting zombies, and focusing more on plots between characters. Limited ammunition, the characters probably wouldn't be able to stay in one place for too long, would need to scavenge for supplies etc.

If the world was as brutal as the world in The Walking Dead, though, I doubt the playerbase would last very long
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Leech

Thank you. I'm curious as to why you think this setting would require more coding work leading up to alpha than a different setting. Personally, the more coding work a staff puts into their game beforehand, the better - but why single out this setting in particular as needing a lot of code?

Whenever I've thought upon this setting, I've always imagined it being much like Atonement RPI in its style of storytelling, where you have a number of storytellers working on plots to enhance character development, while the head storyteller dangles a sweet over their head and says 'Come this way for the main plot!'

Relating it to the Walking Dead again, we'd find the main plots running very synchronous to the different settings, as one 'safe' spot became over run and the search started for another.

That's the game I hope to find somewhere, even if it might be in the earliest stages of development. I keep bumping this thread up because I know that out of the 13,000 views this post has gotten, somebody must know a MUD somewhere that's hiding under the rug.