Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
kurik

kurik is on a distinguished road
DO NOT PLAY MATERIA MAGICA!

===========

Last edited by kurik : 03-20-2016 at 08:41 PM.
kurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: DO NOT PLAY MATERIA MAGICA!

At this point, I have to say that things have finally come to a head for you at Materia Magica--just as it had come for me at Castle Marrach, and for simular reasons.

Well, as you had said in August of 2011, there are other games out there with helpful staff's and administrators.

Good Luck.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
uika

uika is on a distinguished road

I think the admin probably gave you more chances than most to reform over the years, but it's sad you ended up like this.

The other side of the story is here:

spam, racism, RL insults, bug abuse, multiplaying, quite a list over 5 years. Probably not a surprise you kept getting removed from clans.

By the way, I don't think Kurik would be happy you picked his name to stain!
uika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Uika - reading through the log, I think I know this guy too. Good call, and thanks for the entertainment.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

I'm a bit hesitant to post my congratulations here because this guy might get ideas and try my game next!

I thought I was being extra patient with this one troublemaker we had two years ago, but you, sir, are Gandhi reincarnate. That much patience can be a curse--how you all must have suffered!

Anyway, if this guy chooses to fight you here, prepare for an influx of new players
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Wait...

You mean to tell me a "Don't play X Mud, it sucks! The admins are abusive" post is really just the angry, delusional rant of a habitual troublemaking player?

THAT'S UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!

I've never seen this before!

(read the above with sarcasm filter on FULL)

I don't think I've ever played Materia Magica, but this thread makes me want to.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road

If ever I advertise for a MUD again, this is the way I'm doing it. Posing as a disgruntled troll should get all the babes.
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

Materia magica is good, imho. If I didn't have chronic mud-hopping syndrome, I'd probably still be playing it.

Never had or really heard of any problems with the admins myself.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Materia Magica is one of the games I recommend on occasion. It is, however, more an adventure/combat style game vs. an indepth roleplaying one. Though it is an excellent format and game in it's own right.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

I tried Materia Magica because of this thread, and I like it so far. There's a lot to do and the staff member who is usually in the newbie clan channel is very helpful.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
SlothMUD

SlothMUD is on a distinguished road

Posts like this are quite amusing, especially when you visit the page and plastered across the top is a banner, advertising MM

MM is a great mud, good advertising
SlothMUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Will

Will is on a distinguished road

All publicity is good publicity.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough

MUDs with speech codes should be avoided as a matter of principle. Unfortunately there's no check box for that on TMC.

Bug abuse is a silly accusation as well, that's like a government saying: Don't do anything we may consider to be unfair, even if it's not (as of yet) against the law.

Take North Korea for example, is the ideological prisoner at fault, or does blame lie with the system?

As most MUDs are ran as fascist marxist states there will be players that do not quite live up to their designated role as a sheep. As there are alternatives, MUDs which cater primarily to men, one must consider the possibility this 'problem player' engages in an intricate form of sadomasochism, maybe he desires to be a sheep out of a desire to fit in, but can never quite live up to the expectations. Perhaps he simply likes being around sheep, without being one himself.

I agree it's a good promotional strategy when a disgruntled player claims a MUD has a good shepherd with near absolute power, it'll draw in the sheeple, and the occasional sucker looking for punishment.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Then again, matters with Materia Magica may have been cleared up in the meantime with the abusive parties exspelled and Staff reformed.

You may want to make some inquiries if such changes happened.

As for my own demon, my friend with ADHD that I have so written about in my own war against another Game (just go back over my old posts to see which one) went back there.

She found the only change in the place was a significant drop in players. The same metagaming players still went out of their way to make her feel unwanted, while others did their best to make her feel wanted and welcomed. In the end, the hatred towards her drove her away--and this time perminately.

So, Kurik may have a point. Or, maybe he doesn't.

Either way, make inquiries.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
plamzi

[quote=scandum;48900...
Bug abuse is a silly accusation as well, that's like a government saying: Don't do anything we may consider to be unfair, even if it's not (as of yet) against the law.

Take North Korea for example, is the ideological prisoner at fault, or does blame lie with the system?

As most MUDs are ran as fascist marxist states there will be players that do not quite live up to their designated role as a sheep. As there are alternatives, MUDs which cater primarily to men, one must consider the possibility this 'problem player' engages in an intricate form of sadomasochism, maybe he desires to be a sheep out of a desire to fit in, but can never quite live up to the expectations. Perhaps he simply likes being around sheep, without being one himself...[/quote]

This post goes to show that if you pile up enough false comparisons, you end up with a ridiculous perspective. A MUD is not a country, and bug abusers are not political prisoners. Period.

MUD servers are a service (apologies to anyone who may think this is too obvious to point out). As any service, they can come with a Terms of Service attached. In that, you can specify pretty much anything having to do with the service that you would like people to abide by.

For example, I can try to enforce fair play by requiring people to report any world behavior that gives them a huge edge over others.

You, on the other hand, can flat-out tell people that your game is a free-for-all in which bug abusers will be rewarded, so that it becomes a meta-game of bug-exploitation for a few power users instead of people of all sorts enjoying a game together (hint: the people you think of as "sheep" are a vast majority, and they will leave if abusers go unpunished).

Either way of running a server is totally fine, as long as the terms are clearly stated in the ToS.

Sometimes, I jokingly tell players who want to 'overthrow' the admins that a MUD is not a democracy. But that doesn't mean it's a monarchy. If it was a monarchy or a totalitarian state, then I could be overthrown. But I can't be, because at the flick of a switch I can turn off the whole world. Does that sound like the power of a measly tyrant?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
scandum

You either support freedom of speech or you do not.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #17
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

By accepting the terms and conditions of many MU* games, you often volunteer to give up some of your rights to free speech while playing the game or using the forum.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
rendekar

rendekar is on a distinguished road

rendekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
plamzi

I believe in freedom of speech wholeheartedly, but you should probably read up on what freedom of speech actually is.

You cannot seriously believe that a MUD is anything like a country, or that bug abusers are anything like political prisoners, or that bug abuse is in any way similar to a basic human right. That's absurd.

Or, do you run your game as a parliamentary democracy, with an elected body of representatives, an independent judiciary, and with ordinary players being able to vote you out of power every election term? If so, then your maximum term in office has surely expired by now, so if you don't hand over your game to another elected admin, surely you must see yourself as a tyrant suppressing the political freedoms of your 'citizens'.

I don't know how anyone can confuse 'free speech' with being able to do whatever they like (or whatever is 'possible' to do) in an online game. Even by the standards of a very false equivalency with real life law, free speech does not entitle anyone to perform actions that are defined as unlawful. Those actions (e. g. murder) are all very possible, yet many are sanctioned severely in order for people to be able to live peacefully together in an egalitarian way. That is because you can't have 'freedom' at the expense of others. If you do, then that's jungle law, not a democracy.

The whole freedom of speech argument is a poor concoction of tech-savvy players whose only interest in a game is to find some unintended mechanic to exploit and then strut their advantage over others who are just as smart and dedicated, but are actually looking to immerse themselves in a game rather than reverse-engineer its flaws. I reserve the right to deny such players service after repeated offenses, and I strongly believe this improves the health of my game's community.

If you believe otherwise, you are free to do so. And the 2-3 players I've banned over the last several years can exercise their free speech all they want--just not in my game.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
scandum

A MUD is a virtual world, so yes, it's more like a country than anything else, and the same rules apply. The reason most MUDs fail is because they do not realize this.

Freedom of speech has little to do with democracy, contrary to popular belief, and democracy may in fact be prohibitive of free speech in the long run. Democracy has been a total failure because wisdom is not cumulative.

If you can't have freedom at the expense of others this means you have no freedom at all, unless you lock yourself up in your closet and whisper softly.

Most jungle MUDs fail because they lack territorial and self defense principles that would allow the players self governance.

I don't oppose your right to ban players either, selection is a natural process. Prohibition however is based on self deception, and inherently evil.