Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 08:06 AM   #21
Janus

Janus is on a distinguished road
Talking

Oh for heaven's sakes, enough of the baseless and vague accusations, Dulan. I was an active member of Achaea when the situation you mention came about, and in point of fact you are quite wrong about it directly giving you exp as well, it may well be a better idea to actually research accusations at one of the premier MUD providers before leaping in feet first.

At no time was Achaea, or any IRE MUD cheating and as the_logos says, the system was changed before the rules were. The fact that all three games are in the top ten is solely due to the level of support amongst players, achieved by immense hard work to make an enjoyable atmosphere. It's rather irritating for those who put in said work to be accused of cheating simply because they're successful.

If you're still doubtly, try visiting Imperian and playing for a while, you'll most likely find yourself as hooked on the immersive atmosphere as our very satisfied players are. You could even join the Wardens, which are the newest unique guild to be opened. And, once you are hooked, I'm sure you'll be making your daily click to vote for Imperian as well.

Yours,

Janus
Old 05-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #22
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
[quote=the_logos,May 28 2004,02:12]What MUDs, Sarapis?

Please list. I want to hear this. Also, note the "many". One is not many. Two is not many. Many implies, what, 10 or more? I want to hear this list.

Again, I said nothing about the top 20 MUDs and technical expertise. I specifically stated technical expertise -and- will. Or should I have used 'want' instead of 'will'?

Anyways, whatever.

Oh, and Sarapis? Call off your posse, kudasai. I'm not responding to them, nor am I going to fall prey to the logical fallacies they love to use. Furthermore, their actions in and of themselves are arguably a logical fallacy. I'll respond to valid points - which you, and only you, have made so far in this thread. All they are is useless noise with either restated points or regurgitated propaganda. Neither of which is useful or constructive to this thread.

-D
Old 05-28-2004, 03:06 PM   #23
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
No idea which MUDs. I just recall people stating that some MUDs would, for instance, offer game-wide xp bonuses and the like for getting to spot X on the list.

It's all irrelevant really. Cheating isn't cheating until it's breaking the rules. We have never broken any rules here. If you have evidence we did, by all means, present it here or to Synozeer. I'm sure he'll ban us if you're able to provide him with anything but content-less attitude.

I also have to wonder if you even know what "logical fallacy" means. I'm guessing not.

This thread is over for me unless you're able to come up with something besides your usual "I'm an angry teenager" rants.
--matt
Old 05-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #24
Dulan

This is illegal? Syn must have changed the rules a bit ago, and while this was what I typed, this was not what I meant. I believe you knew that, but twisted my words intentionally. What had the forums in an uproar was Achaea's practice of rewarding the -specific- voting players an experience bonus. The reason? Because they voted. I honestly do not believe that anyone had an issue with the reason that you stated. No one that I can recall had a problem with mud-wide bonuses for some vague place on the list. And, after reading over my copies of the old flamewar, no one brought that up.

Are you using a logical fallacy in an attempt to avoid my question, Sarapis? I'm not flaming you here. I'm not attacking you. I'm asking a simple question. I'm -curious-. I want to know what other MUDs were using a method like Achaea's that rewarded a specific player for voting. You implied that was the case, and to the best of my memory (And my copies of the old conversations) this was the only problem that anyone ever had. Specificly rewarding people for their vote.

So, is killing a man with a previously un-thought of method not murder? Or at least manslaughter? This is a logical fallacy again. Just because X is not against the stated laws/rules/etc. does not mean it is not against it. Just as Medievia's actions are not in violation of the wording of the Diku license does not mean their actions are not in violation of the license. Or are you going to seriously try to argue that Vryce is not violating the Diku license?

Furthermore, my attitude is hardly "Content-less" currently. This is yet another logical fallacy, Sarapis. Rather, I challenge you to render it content-less. Prove me wrong. Show the 'many other' MUDs who cheated as Achaea as I stated previously. Please do, in fact. I am more then willing to offer an immediate apology and retraction of my words. However, due to PMs received from people on here, and my archives of prior flame wars about this, it appears that there were not 'many' MUDs. In fact, the only MUD discussed was Achaea.

In fact, Achaea may have used that system for 6 months, but once it came to the forefront on TMS, the problem was quickly resolved. Well, at least for TMS, it was quickly resolved.

Another logical fallacy, Matt. Actually, two in one sentence (Impressive!). While age is traditionally used as a low-blow on many MUD-related forums, I can conclusively prove there is no logical way for me to be a teenager. I've been MUDding for a bit over 13 years now (Started in '91!). If I started at 6, that means I'd be 19. However, the part of the world where I was when I was 6 lacked any sort of internet access. Using further logic, it is highly doubtful that any 6 year old would MUD - while possible, it is highly unlikely.

Furthermore, I find it interesting that you throw around that insult. Commonly, people throw around insults that they themselves find insulting - after all, why tell an Englishmen that he's a burke? Doesn't make sense to an Merkin now, does it? So, tell me, Sarapis. Why do you find the phrase 'angry teenager' insulting?

Really. I'm very interested to know that.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:26 PM   #25
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Actually Dulan, you're the one whose posts are rife with logical fallacies. Perhaps you don't quite understand what the term means? If not, I refer you to this website:

Logos wrote that you are using the "usual 'I'm an angry teenager' rant." In no part of his post did he write that you are an actual angry teenager, but only that you are using an angry teenager rant to present your issues. One does not need to BE an angry teenager to present an angry teenager rant.

You started from a "false premise" and came to a "logical conclusion" based on that false premise, thus producing a "logical fallacy."

Hopefully you will now understand what the term means and either STFU with the phrase in every other sentence of your posts, or stop making logical fallacies yourself. Either will make me happy - and possibly many others who read this forum.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #26
Dulan

Old 05-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #27
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
Old 05-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #28
Traithe

Old 05-28-2004, 05:33 PM   #29
Dulan

In response to your comments, Traithe.

Simply put, cheating was not allowed at the time. Achaea forced the definition of 'cheating' to be widened. While that may or may not be cheating is irrelevant at this point - Simply put, it is ethically questionable. However, Sarapis then argued that 'other people were doing it, so it was okay!', and used examples that were not valid based on my points. I then requested specific examples that were valid to my points, and offered a public apology if he could provide them.

In essence, whether or not they were cheating is irrelevant. Sarapis gave his word that other people were doing it. He can back out, and state that he is a liar (With questionable ethics), or give proof, and force me to apologize.

As well, you are arguing that Medievia is not in violation of the Diku's license. (Read your post more carefully, bud. In the context of the post, you are claiming that they are not in violation of it.)

May want to walk carefully, son. Thems dangerous grounds here.

-D
Old 05-28-2004, 05:54 PM   #30
Traithe

Actually, if you genuinely believe that to be the case (and you're not simply attempting to bait me or deliberately misconstrue my points), I'd highly recommend brushing up a bit on your comprehensive reading and/or deductive reasoning skills. However, if you'd care to provide the specific deductions and/or inferences in question, I'd be happy to clear them up for you.

Precisely my point. Your argument is ethics-based, not rule-based. Ethics-based arguments rarely have any objective quantifiers, which is why they are such quagmires. If you'll re-read my post, you'll note we are in agreement here; my only argument was that since your argument appears to fall back on an ethical point of view, which may or may not be shared and cannot at any rate be rationally assessed with regard to other viewpoints, there is really no way to logically persuade others to the same position.

Finally:

Yes, I believe that excellent site Jazuela pointed out earlier gave a very concise definition of the "bandwagon" fallacy. While it's regrettable his memory has prevented him from giving any specific names, and he's admitted as much, I fail to see how that by definition makes him a liar. It's quite possible that he's acting in good faith, you know. At worst it probably weakens the credibility of his argument, and it should be interpreted accordingly.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #31
Dulan

Pah. Traithe, you are no fun.

But, regardless, you are good enough not to fall for the basic logical fallacy traps the whole "I am Medthie^H^H^H^H^H^H^HAchaea!" groupthink.

Nor do you fall for the basic mental traps most of them fall for either. Or should I say, you don't allow yourself to. So, can I assume that I can have a rational, reasoned argument with you on this subject?

It'd be refreshing, to say the least. And I'd be interested to explain my position, in detail, assuming you'd be willing to help keep the posse at bay long enough to rationally discuss this?

-D
Old 05-28-2004, 07:29 PM   #32
Kenjar

Kenjar is on a distinguished road
Why all the huge words and fancy phrases, its not that huge an argument. Or shouldn't be.

Anyway, you shouldn't just to conclusions too fast- I understand a MUD with 3 people wouldn't be able to get that high, and some are obviously cheating, but its not too difficult to get to the top 10-20 with dedicated enough players. I used to play Daedal Macabre, and even though there were generally 10-20 people on, it still managed to hold the top 5-10 until quite late in the voting. So yes, cheating is bad, but don't just jump on any mud with less than 300 players in the top 10.

And I fail to see how this degenerated into such a large, involved conversation on ethics.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:31 PM   #33
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
I think this has properly been beaten to death, the horse is dead, it's been flogged, and apparently now being spread on crackers...
Closed Thread

More cheating eh? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Materia Magica's cheating ways the_logos Tavern of the Blue Hand 125 09-22-2014 10:38 AM
Cheating allegations... Molly MUD Administration 19 11-01-2004 07:15 PM
Voting Policies?  Cheating Rundvelt Bugs and Suggestions 111 06-21-2004 07:08 AM
Ages of Despair...cheating Andris Tavern of the Blue Hand 24 12-29-2003 08:25 AM
ooc cheating OnyxFlame Roleplaying and Storytelling 22 05-20-2003 07:10 PM