Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
GuruPlayer

GuruPlayer is on a distinguished road
To Synozeer & any other admins for this website:

You really need to police the review section. Lately there have been numerous reviews for Aabahran: The Forsaken Lands that are posted by someone with a grudge against that mud who posts the same review multlple times per month, & now another reviewer (probably the same person) is posting obscene ones that then point the reader to Medievia, trying to use that hornet's nest to further hassle Aabahran.

Now I know the admin folks are probably busy, but nothing has been done re this in the past, & these reviews are on the boards for sufficent time that they need to be looked at & deleted in a timely manner.
GuruPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
GuruPlayer

Also Synozzer, you need to look at & delete reviews from someone who is claiming to be Vryce posting reviews advertising Medievia under the guise of a review for a mud like "Mudder's Delight".
Old 05-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
nikolausv

Home MUD: http://tharel.net/
nikolausv is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nikolausv
On the other hand... you see the review mentions medi-whatever and filter it out as noise. But each review, whoever it is posting, is getting the name of that mud on the frontpage. So it doesn't seem worth getting excited about to me.
nikolausv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
GuruPlayer

Well tell that to the mud admins of Voregotten Realm, Dragonstone, & Prophecy the Mud, who have all been victimized today by this butthead. I don't see how having obscene or false reviews posted for your mud that points the reader to another mud as "good" publicity. I also am sure that Medievia has enough problems without this kind of crapola. If these website administrators don't take a pro-active stance policing the reviews, the might as well eliminate them entirely, as they have been pretty worthless recently.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Soleil

Soleil is on a distinguished road
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
I think that something should be done. Mebbe Synozeer could IP ban this douche. This kind of publicity is bad publicity for Medievia, so they could also request the IP from Syn and ban it as well. Aside from the bad image it's giving their own mud, the Medievia admin should at least swat this poser down for attempting to hurt other muds with his babble.

I know that if the admins of my own mud found out a player had been trolling in the name of the mud that they would get the short end, and quick.

Also, while reviews overall have been fairly poor, there is no reason to get rid of the ability to review just because of a couple idiots. There are still quality reviews out there. I know Armageddon has had a few solid reviews in the past couple of weeks.

No. I think the best option would be for Synozeer to share the IP and for all concerned to ban this little prick for good and all.

-WP
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
Soleil

Old 05-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
Am I the only one who finds this amusing?
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
imported_Synozeer

imported_Synozeer is on a distinguished road
I deleted 18 of the bogus reviews.

BTW, here's the IP addresses of the people who posted them. Do what you will with them. If you find out who has been doing this, feel free to post who they are and whatever other punishments you want to dish out. I've already added them to the reviews ban list:

-Adam
imported_Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
Soleil

Old 05-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I think the field of suspects is really narrowed down now. Man, I wish I could have posted this earlier when we didn't have the IPs. It would have more comedic value.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
Sadly, there are many people out there who, rather than take their concerns and issues to constructive discussion prefer to act in a disreputable fashion.
This doesn't hurt just any single mud but all muds and gives a distasteful image of all mudders to the very people we would all like to bring to our to the mudding community.

Thank you for dealing with these frauds, Synozeer.
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:00 AM   #13
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
Well, it's very possible these reviews consist of such eloquent, useful commentary as:

Clearly, if I ran a review website, I'd approve insights like: "med grabbed my attention because its like a chat room where u can kill the people you dont like and take their stuff, which is great cause people get really upset about it."

It's TMC policy to reject reviews like that outright. It's also been my experience that the moderators often leave not-entirely-worthless reviews to sit for a while, in case they would otherwise reject a review out of hand too rashly. In fact, last time I had TMC remove a bad review that slipped through the cracks, I actually got four emails back in apology. That's caring.

So, I'd just like to say, yeah, I'm happy that they're sitting there. It seems pretty likely that, if they've been there for weeks, they're not that good (especially since I can find at least 5 reviews on TMS already that wouldn't qualify under TMC policy). More importantly, though, the fact that they're sitting seems to imply thought, at least to me, and I like thought.

<3 Synozeer.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #14
Soleil

Well, I'd say that I have to agree that some of the shorter reviews such as the ones you posted may not be appropriate for TMC.  However, I do know that reviews such as

have also been submitted to TMC and have not yet been approved.  So, it's not all fluff and nonsense when it comes to our players writing reviews.

In addition, there are many reviews on this site that are only one or two sentences in length, similar to the ones you sited.  So, it's not only our game that illicits such reviews.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #15
Jaewyn

Jaewyn is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with you here. I think it has been said a few times before, the vast majority of the reviews here are not worth reading. Comments like "This game rocks." are useless and would do little to attract new players. The thing we want to know is WHY does it rock?

I think if the reviews were only able to be posted by forum members and people were forced to use their forum name, it might stem the tide of the useless reviews a little.

I know people can still make bogus accounts to post garbage reviews, but at least it might help.
Jaewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:12 AM   #16
Aardwolf

Aardwolf is on a distinguished road
I'm pleased that the troll reviews were removed and the appropriate I/P addresses banned from submitting new ones ... but am I the only one concerned that the I/P addresses were posted publicly? When I post to a forum, regardless of content, I (apparently naively) assume that my connection details are not going to be given to anyone other than perhaps under demands from law enforcement.
Aardwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #17
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Aardwolf you should read the TMS privacy statement located at
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #18
imported_Synozeer

imported_Synozeer is on a distinguished road
I generally won't give out IP addresses, but if they're going to post bogus reviews like that on TMS, they have no one else but themselves to blame for it. Respect the rules of this site and I'll respect them.

-Adam
imported_Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:17 AM   #19
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
[quote= ]Aardwolf you should read the TMS privacy statement located at id='postcolor'>

I went in and read the privacy statement, and it mentions that people should not distribute private information on the forums since this information is public. Your IP, while known to the server, is by no means public, until the server's owner decides to post it on the forums, so, unless you were trying to make clear Aardwolf's point that it was a misjudgement to post the IP's because THAT action made them public, I do not understand your point.

On the other hand, I guess I understand the motif for having posted this information publicly, but I do not think I agree with the argument If someone breaks the rules then I will also follow suit and break them, specially from whomever is in place to enforce said rules.
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #20
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
I believe that if people deliberately post bogus reviews in order to damage or harm muds or mudding in general, and if those people are potentially players in those muds, the admins of those muds have a right to know they are being sabotaged and by whom.
Personally, I suspect that the more attention these malcontents get the more gratification they get. Better to quietly remove them from the reviews without fanfare and if it appears they could be players, to alert the mud admins where they may hail from.
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote

Synozeer, please moderate the reviews. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reviews Jarn Newbie Help 4 01-12-2006 03:06 AM
Some direct questions for Synozeer and Medievia Sinuhe Tavern of the Blue Hand 185 06-27-2005 08:12 PM
Should Synozeer, remove the stars? Xanferious Tavern of the Blue Hand 9 05-17-2002 11:39 PM
Should Synozeer, start policing the forums again Xanferious Tavern of the Blue Hand 14 05-10-2002 07:46 PM
Open letter to Synozeer Koryon Bugs and Suggestions 1 05-01-2002 11:32 PM