Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #301
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

For those interested in the subject, the "MUD trees" article has now been nominated for deletion:

KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #302
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Chimed in with my two cents.

Hopefully we can save this page.

I looked at the page for the person who proposed its deletion:

Looks like a classic Wikipedia user bucking for admin status. He created a crapton of pages about garbage nobody really cares about, and now he's trying to get stuff deleted that he assumes nobody cares about.

Basically, a large part of what's bad about Wikipedia.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #303
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

I've also chimed in. I can understand wanting to keep the quality level of the wiki high with all the various guidelines, but for Pburka to be nominating that for deletion while creating pages like is a pretty douchebag maneuver. At least he should have the decency to stay in his area of expertise.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #304
Threshold
Legend

Oh goodness. That is an atrocity.

What a joke.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #305
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

Yeah, this is all par for the course with Wikipedia. If you get a guy with an agenda in charge over there, they'll do crazy stuff and hide behind the rules. Just try getting pro-life articles to stick; there's still an "anti-abortion violence" article but "violence against pro-life" is not considered noteworthy enough to have an article.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #306
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Just read that article. All I have to say that he's a sham as a writer for not going in any depth about the area's history, geology, flora and fauna, map location (longatude and Latitude--as is with simular write up) or even citing people of importance. There's no high quality level in this work, he just starts something and exspects someone else to do the real work in making it presentable...

Then most likely would take credit for that person's work.

Nice guy.

Remind me to avoid him.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #307
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

There's so much crap on Wikipedia that one wonders how this guy even came across some random article on MUD Trees unless he specifically searched for stuff regarding MUDs to target. Especially when his normal subject matter is so far removed from this topic.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #308
KaVir
Legend

I'd guess he probably stumbled across it by chance, and thought it would make easy pickings for his Wikipedia portfolio.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #309
Threshold
Legend

Good news:

Victory for MUDs and sanity.

That's my thinking as well.

Any wikipedia experts here? Now that this is over we should all join forces and get a bunch of his garbage articles deleted.

Teach him to bring a knife to a gun fight.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #310
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about

When they removed Aardwolf as not notable the act of posting about it here was considered "campaigning" and counted against it.

One Wiki admin who was sympathetic to the whole situation told me when that happens the editors often do their own campaigning behind the scenes and, sure enough, a whole bunch of wikipedia editors who hadn't been involved up to that point were suddenly on the article recommending deletion. A couple of days later it was gone. One or two of them showed up here, possibly even in this thread.

I guess I'm saying be careful what you post because there could be a wanna-be wiki admin reading this right now thinking, "Threshold RPG article next, teach him to bring a knife to a gun fight".
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #311
Threshold
Legend

That's how this whole thread got started actually, some wanna-be admin trying to delete Threshold's entry. Go peek at page 1 .

The AfD page for our deletion was, at the time at least, the largest AfD in the history of Wikipedia.

You are spot on that the subset of wiki admins who are in it for "the POWER!" are juvenile and petty as hell and will break any rule just to get their way. It is really quite sad.

I guess we should just be happy that in this case, the good guys won and the mud tree article will remain.

I really wish there was someone in our community who had the time, energy, and interest to work their way up to some type of Wikipedia admin. At least then we'd have some kind of representation on the inside to guard against this type of stuff.

Last edited by Threshold : 01-19-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #312
KaVir
Legend

I've just been reliably informed that I'm not allowed to notify other Wikipedia editors about ongoing discussions outside of Wikipedia, and that the WP:CANVASS disclaimer "unless there is a specific reason not to use talk pages" doesn't include not actually knowing the names of your talk pages.

So for those Wikipedia editors among you who are interested in participating in discussions about mud related articles in the future, please let me know on , and I will notify you about ongoing discussions on your own talk pages. I would also strongly recommend watching , as people usually notify him there about discussions that require a consensus.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #313
chaosprime

Home MUD: Lost Souls
chaosprime will become famous soon enough

Regarding Pburka, the username and the apparent familiarity with Martin Keegan's work made me wonder if this were Lauren P. Burka of fame. Wouldn't that be a twist?
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #314
Threshold
Legend

TRANSLATION: This is our widdle secwet cwub. You have to cwimb up into our widdle twee howse if you wanna partica-parta-particip- be involved.

Stuff like that is what gives Wikipedia the cultist, Jim Jones-like appearance.

If the goal is to ultimately produce a high quality source of information, then it shouldn't matter how people find out about an issue. If they show up and add meaningful, quality input, it doesn't matter how they found out about it.

Sorry Wikinerds, communicating by re-editing a page a thousand times over and over is not only unwieldy, but stupid and inconvenient. The rest of the world uses far more convenient and well designed communication tools like email, forums, twitter, and Facebook.

Trying to have a discussion on Wikipedia is one of the most painful things you can do online. It is archaic and makes absolutely no sense. BBSes did communication better than the whole "lets all manually edit the same page and somehow use that to communicate."

WORST THING ABOUT ALL THIS: Probably 99% of Wikipedia admins and editors work their butts off making it a great site. They do this for no pay and basically no recognition. The result of their hard work is an absolutely AMAZING information resource.

The 1% basement dwelling losers who are desperate for some kind of "status" are the ones who sully the whole. Its a shame.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #315
Achon

Achon is on a distinguished road

I agree, Wikipedia is an amazing collaborative effort! Though, idealistic as it
might seem, I often wish it had evolved to be a less centralized; more like a
multitude of cooperative encyclopedias adhering to similar principles but
permitted (and even expected) to diverge on issues. I mean there's plenty of
storage space for different viewpoints, why not allow them all? This would
better reflect how the internet was designed and serve to limit the domain of
misguided administrators, allowing people to decide for themselves what
constituted "important" information.

What prevents a distributed encyclopedia with a quality similar to Wikipedia?
What would be the major obstacles? Most likely it would require some kind of
central organization.

Although I haven't really worked with the Wikimedia tools (other than editing),
it seems here that deletion is a misnomer. When something is deleted it's
(generally) not possible to restore the contents. Deletion means permanent
destruction, in this case articles are simply hidden. I suppose it's possible
that some low priority content or blatant vandalism and such is marked for
eventual deletion. So maybe deleted means effectively deleted.
Achon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #316
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

Today's xkcd was kind of on point, so I thought I'd share the link.

SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #317
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hahahahaha, that sums it up perfectly.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #318
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

Hello, all. Been a while since I've been around but I thought I'd pop in and say hi and offer some thoughts (probably have done so in the past but I'm not in the mood to surf through this thread to see).

The community needs to recognize that the problems originate not with Wikipedia but within the community itself. Case in point, tonight a friend sent me a message that Accursed Lands was again using false information regarding their game on their Wikipedia page. From claiming to be an early RPI to denying that their so-called RPIMUD Game of the Year title was rescinded, it's an example of why this genre isn't taken seriously. The RPMUD Network has all but ceased operation due to the lack of interest from the community in peer-review and critical analysis of games (though thank you to those who did help out). Respectability comes not from self-attribution and self-manufactured sources but from recognizable sources and credible data. Manufacturing pages to cite in your article, ignoring that which doesn't comply with your claims and conspiracy theories about bias (I just know Accursed Lands is going to whine that I didn't log into Wikipedia to make edits as if that was some legitimate argument against them; I simply don't recall my login or password) don't lend respectability or creedance.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #319
Verbannon

Home MUD: Shadowgate
Verbannon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Verbannon

There really doesn't seem to be much of an actual community. More along the lines of a relatively small number of people that are either constantly changing MUDs/Mushes/whatever (From here on I refer to all similar games as MUDS) or trying to expand their own muds. With everyone else relatively isolated in their own little mud worlds. How many people are actually trying to defend Mudding or even care how well recognized MUDDing is as its own platform and how many only care about strengthening their own Mud's playerbase?

Not to mention that I imagie competition between muds is pretty cutthroat as similar muds struggle in a negative sum game of trying to keep their muds alive. I'm a little surprised actually that there isn't more then just deception going on in the wikipedia pages, instead of things like outright sabotage of each other.
Verbannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #320
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

While I agree with some of what is said here, I disagree with the premise and idea there is not a community and that there is a cutthroat struggle for supremacy. I've seen over the last couple of years that many Admins are cordial and sometimes even positive in promoting other games. I've seen the community stop bickering like children and begin to promote eachother's accomplishments.

I can't speak for Wikipedia because I've never promoted anything or created anything there.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote