Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-20-2005, 10:20 PM   #21
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with being negative, especially when the situation calls for it. Yes it would be nice if we could all sit around on comfy ruby-encrusted cushions, sipping tea and patting ourselves on the back for life's little triumphs, but when you bring your circle of love to a public forum, don't be surprised when someone points out how diluted and meaningless your terms have become.

You just can't accept the fact that to most people this is not impressive, it is not a dream come true, and it does not push the envelope. Call it negativity, I call it truth.

It's amazing the kind of contortions you go through to justify your statements.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:26 AM   #22

On the positive side, there are over 617 muds with furniture, and over 223 muds allow players to create their own custom furniture patterns and stylings.

Welcome to the 1990's :-)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 AM   #23
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Can you please give me the address of your successful, popular MUD where your fully feature furniture exists, as well as numerous features far superior to it?

Just because something is mundane in RL doesn't mean it is not cool when implemented in a game world.

Furniture that works and can be designed in very detailed ways is very cool and is not something that commonly exists in games (in a well developed, extensive fashion).

The huge mega-million dollar MMOs coming out lately cannot even manage to do it extensively. DAoC had furniture but it was absolute useless garbage.

It is very easy to poo poo something just because you didn't do it yourself.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 AM   #24
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Any of the RPI MUDs feature similar, and often times quite better, options with furniture than that which Achaea is inflating the significance of.

(To say nothing of Forever's End, Forever Ends, Chronicles of Ritnarium, and any other RPI MUDs that are no more or still in development).

As I've said before, I've tried two of the IRE games and came away noticing nothing that I couldn't find already (and more well-done) on free MUDs. That doesn't just go for furniture alone. I've never encountered RP that surpasses that on the MUDs I've listed above and I've seen great H&S combat on MUDs like Necromium.

Sorry, but the "innovative" and "pushing the envelope" furniture on Achaea is neither innovative nor pushing the envelope. It's old hat and the fact that it didn't exist already in a pay-to-play continues to make me wonder why people choose such games over far better, more innovative, and totally free MUDs. I guess it's like cheap wine. If the best wine you've ever tried comes in a box, you won't really know there's anything better until you try something else.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 AM   #25
Yui Unifex

Question

Welcome to the amazing bizarro-world of Threshold, where only people who have successful, popular MUDs can recognize which features are found all over the goddamn place.

You've gotta be kidding me if you think that the only reason I can't recognize how amazing this envelope-pushing feature is is because I "haven't implemented it myself". Justifying these statements takes 10 minutes with a couple of mudsite search engines.

Oh I certainly agree. It's hard to approach the coolness of being the first kid on the block to own a broken chair.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #26
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Janus:Hmm, some people here really are terribly negative. It's a nice new feature for Achaea...

Threshold:It is very easy to poo poo something just because you didn't do it yourself.

1) Please tell me that a thread does not exist where Achaea supporters are decrying negative posting on TMS.  I'd prefer to think it was a hallucination, and not that people have overlooked the_logos's previous posts.  Yui and others are a lot more mature about being critical to boot.

2) While we don't have customizable, purchase-able furniture(*) (we have several stores with customizable products, but not furniture), it is a feature I've seen elsewhere, usually in conjunction with the ability to buy houses, etc.  I think that the original post is well and good, but that people are getting carried away with proclaiming the virtues of the ability to make special chairs.

(*): Different culture, really.  Equipment and possessions are very transient in our game... we try to discourage characters from being too focused on that.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:46 AM   #27

It was actually August of 1989 when players of muds aquired the power to create sofas, beds, ottomans, lazyboys, chairs, curtains, linen, jewel-encrusted, finely lathed and whatever their imagination could possibly conjure up unlimited by color, type, style, weight, height, coverings and someone else's idea of what the "options" were.

By 1991 this furniture was swallowing items, eating players, cooking eggs into omelets, transmuting lead into gold, serving sodas and beer, and of course talking and moving around on its own power.

By 1994 a very much limited and nerfed implementation of furniture started appearing on some Diku muds.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #28
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Total stats on furniture so far:
235 items purchased
7.717 million gold total
Average of 32,838 gold per piece

If prof515, Tyche, and Yui Unifex work together, I bet we can keep this thread on the front page of TMS at least another week or two.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #29
Yui Unifex

Question

I think you're going to have to wind up some more of your clockwork minions first. But seriously, nobody but yourself cares how much advertisement you get from this.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #30
the_logos
Legend

Various player reactions to furniture, from Achaea's forums at achaea.ire-community.com:

One of the things that has always impressed me about Achaea (apart from the depth in combat) is the way the Divine listen to our requests and suggestions.

I've played several Muds & MMORPG's and I would have to say that your attention to your userbase and customer service is No. 1.

Give yourselves a pat on the back!! Good job all round!

I am aboslutely ecstatic about this implementation! Kudos you wonderful Divine.

Wow, this system is awesome! Thanks.

--matt
Old 03-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #31
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I'm unsure as to the purpose of your post. Are you trying to emphasis how many players are delighted with mediocre and outdated features? If so, I'd have thought that would be more than apparent by the number of stock muds out there.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #32
the_logos
Legend

More player quotes, from in-game rather than the communities:

Overall a wonderful and long needed system in terms of the belivability in the world, cheers to the divine for getting it done.

Everything you guys do, you take to the next level. Other MUDs have furniture systems. None that I've seen even come close. This kind of attention to detail is why I've personally spent over $6000 on Iron Realms games.

--matt
Old 03-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #33

Whoops... Looks like furniture was available in Dikus as early as 1993. I stand corrected.

On Tinymuds this was not conceived as a gold sink for an unbalanced game.

On TinyMud a player could spend a penny to create a piece of furniture, rooms cost nothing. Later on TinyMOO and TinyMush this was called a quota. The primary reason for pennies and quota limits was to prevent the mud from running out of memory as it was an expensive and limited on university computers.

Later disk-based muds either eliminated the quota altogether or left it in place but set it higher just to prevent players from spamming the creation of mass quantities of comfortable sofas and chairs.

It is good to see commercial muds attempt exploration of fundamental and ubiquitous concepts found on hobbyist muds ( even if the implementation is severely nerfed and highly restricted).
Old 03-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #34
Treestump

Treestump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Treestump
Treestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #35

What's the address of the Sims Online? You know that wildly unpopular mud game entirely about furniture aquisition.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #36
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
Angry

After going through this thread there are two things clear to me:

1.- the_logos (or his Achaea team) implemented furniture in their game, making it available to players who seemingly had wanted this feature for some time. It seems like eventhough some (many?) have been paying to get some quick start/development of their characters and have not had this feature available before, some are glad this has been put in now.

2.- The idea of adding furniture to a text game is not innovative or will change the MUD's paradigm or will cause Microsoft to file for bankrupcy (sadly).

Now, rightly the_logos has used the space on advertising for players to tell everybody that a new (for their MUD at least) feature is available, he has given some links to the relevant information and that was it. Shortly after someone overstated how cool it was (but maybe they were just one of the players who just wanted the feature added for long time). After that, a string of flames about how unoriginal the idea is, how it is amazing people play pay-per-perks games, how so many free games have Hammocks you can sleep in and have had them for a while, etc etc ... it is really amazing how Logos gets immediate responses everytime he posts, I'd swear Yuki is one of his minions because it sure looks like the only goal is to keep the thread alive!

Now seriously, you all are entitled to an opinion, you can of course post it here, but I fail to see why and advertisement must have a discussion attached to it, actually, not a discussion but a flame-war attached to it.

People try to ridicule Achaea because they did not have the simplest of the things, "furniture", but you fail to realize that it is then more impressive that they are so succesful even if they overlooked these "simple things". I have not played Achaea, or any IRE game for that mater, I am actually not fond of the_logos posts most of the time, but latelly it just looks like everybody is so stupidly eager to bash whatever he says or posts that whatever he writes over here becomes in a week-long Achaea (or IRE) advertisement spree.

Contributing to the add-spree ...

... and sincerelly yours ...

Spoke.
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #37
Fharron

Fharron is on a distinguished road
Fharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #38
the_logos
Legend

Yet more quotes, since some worthy TMS members appear to be quite fascinated by it:

"Once again, Achaea shows why it's the MUD to play."

"This is AWESOME!! Ima decorate my house immediately."

"My major disappointment with this system is the lack of dried mud as a building material. We horkvals like mud. Otherwise, it kicks ass!"

--matt
P.S. I'll be pleased to continue to post quotes as long as so many TMS members show such interest in this topic. Just let me know.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 PM   #39
Juganothion

Juganothion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Juganothion
I'm not the biggest fan of Achaea, but Spoke raises a good point in that Achaea has been successful without these features for quite awhile, even when Imperian has had them since opening I believe. I myself was actually quite amazed to learn that Achaea just got it, when another IRE game already has furniture.

I'm all for bashing Achaea, but really, there so many better things to nickpick on, other than furniture.
Juganothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #40

Now I haven't posted any flames on this thread. I've made some historical observations, and I think some quite encouraging comments lauding our slower and less agile cousins in the commercial mud community.

Furniture in Achaea! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heraldry in Achaea! the_logos Advertising for Players 2 06-26-2004 02:04 PM
Achaea on TechTv! the_logos MUD Announcements 13 06-17-2004 07:23 AM
Achaea in Wired the_logos Advertising for Players 0 05-25-2004 08:33 PM
Any Help for Furniture Loads? Iluvatar MUD Coding 4 11-03-2003 12:28 AM
Achaea at GDC! the_logos MUD Administration 3 02-12-2003 06:24 PM