Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 09-08-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
Athemair

Smile

Hello, everyone! *is glad to be here* I'm glad to finally start posting here, after visiting and voting so many times. Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself a bit. My name is Elijah, but everywhere I'm known as Athemair, thus my name on this board.
I became interested in mudding basically because I needed a change from the usual game and MMORPG. I have always loved to read, and so mudding came natural to me. My favorite mud is, without a doubt, Achaea. I love the world, the people...everything about it is so awesome and great. Needless to say, I'm enthusiastic about it. I've actually purchased some of the credits for it (a form of currency in the world of Achaea) with real money--its that good. I always encourage all my friends to play it, even though I'm mostly met with blank stares when I try to explain what a mud is *rofl*. But anyways, I enjoy Achaea the most out of all other muds. Occaisionally I'll play the random rom or diku mud, but I am a fan of custom code bases (which is what Achaea is). The only other MMO I play at the time that is not a mud is Ragnarok Online.

On Achaea, RO, and other things, I'm known as Athemair, contact me if you like.

All in all, I'm glad to be here and I'd love to chat with anyone about anything mud-related (or not). ^_^

Thanks for listening!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
tippy

tippy is on a distinguished road
Hello Athemair!
You probably know me in Achaea as well, my name is (you guessed it) Tippy
BTW, a little bit about MUDs, I like Achaea so much because it is a perfect mix of hack and slash and roleplaying, I wish there were more games like that out there, excluding Aetolia and Imperian, which are great games by the way.
tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:46 AM   #3
Athemair

Well hello, Tippy! I'm glad to hear from you. Someone I know. Yay. Anyways, I too am a big fan of Iron Realms games, they are all good, in my opinion. I'm actually very excited about their new one...Lusturnia, isn't it? But anyways, yes, Achaea is a great mud. No others can really "hook" me like that. But if anyone else knows of one that is special to them, by all means, mention it! I'm not knocking other muds, I've just yet to find something that can best Achaea. And Aetolia and Imperian are good too, yes, but Achaea is what makes me stick around. Anyways, I'd love to sit here and babble about it all day, but I must go.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:03 AM   #4
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Okay I'll bite, since Dulan, KaVir, and whoever else hasn't beaten me to it and I'm PMSing and in one of those "moods" right now.

The function of this folder is to learn a bit about the players, and other assorted people who read this forum. It is not a place where you can extoll the virtues of the game you play. I don't give a flying farg about Aetolia and Achaea and whatever else it is you're trying so miserably to promote without making it sound like a promotion.

TMS has a promotions folder for that.

Now that you understand (you DO understand, right? I mean, I don't have to smack you around with a wet trout do I? DO I?)...

What OTHER things do you like to do, besides promote a game in a folder that isn't supposed to be for promotions?

Are you a student? Electro-Magnetic Physicist? Diver? Musician? Have you been mudding a long time? Just started last week? Do you like foods that the general public considers repugnant, such as chopped liver? That's one of my favorites - on toasted rye bread, but only when my mother or grandmother makes it. Anchovies are awesome too, especially in caesar salad.

What country are you in? I'm in the States. Oh and I'm currently what we older adults like to call "a consultant," which means I'm a skilled and educated unemployed person actively seeking a job.

Just remember, "Introduce Yourself" means introduce YOU. Not the mud you play. Mention it, sure. People are interested in knowing what MUDs people play. But cut the crappola on the sugary sappy how do you do's when it's just TOO obvious that the only reason you posted here was to promote the game.

kthxbye
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
You paid real money and got something in return from the mud? Sounds pretty unfair to me. For a mud anyways. I guess the people who can afford to pay real money don't need to work as hard. Brilliant.

-Delerak
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
Athemair

For the first paragraph--thats obvious. For the second paragraph, why don't you go get a job and stop whining about how people choose to introduce themselves? Seriously, if you people don't like it, then don't reply. It will save your energy and mine.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:49 PM   #7
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
And there are. Just check out our game at , it's an old version still running, the new game will soon be released and it will be far beyond the normal levels of mudding.

Then check, which is forgotten realms based, hack n slash and roleplaying. Played there a few years ago, and it is by far the most entertaining mud iv played.
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:00 PM   #8
Athemair

Well, thank you Hephos. Someone who is kind--amazing. I think, while this sounds incredibly cliche, would keep their mouths shut if they have nothing nice to say. How is complaining and judging (in a non-constructive manner) going to help anything? It's lame, and weak. And Hephos, I'm on my way to check out those web sites. ^^
Old 09-09-2003, 06:09 PM   #9
malaclypse

malaclypse is on a distinguished road
Yeah, everyone knows unemployed college kids should always have an edge in MUDS. Screw those people who actually want to have day jobs. Hmph.

Your lack of critical thinking on this subject is "brilliant".

- Ryan
malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM   #10
Delerak

Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
It's got nothing to do with having an edge in the mud. It's the way I feel about such a cheap and laughable practice. No wonder the mud has such a high player base, you can pay with your real money to get things on the game. Like I said it is brilliant, and breaks an unwritten code of gaming. Play the way you want, and I will play the way I want. You like using your money to have good characters instead of working hard and attaining it through your own time and sweat, good for you. That's you, Malaclypse-- not me. I like to enjoy a game for the challenge. And while we are on the subject, my thinking isn't critical, if anything I think lightly on such a stupid subject.

-Delerak
Old 09-09-2003, 09:19 PM   #11
malaclypse

You seem to be floating from one thought to another. You mentioned fairness, I countered by saying that RL money is simply one of many unfair commodities in a MUD, and compared it to another: time. Having lots of either will give you an edge that could be called unfair.

To address your second sentence, I see no direct correlation between charging people money to play a game, and their desire to play said game... unless you're talking about cognitive dissonance. Are you?

Hey, you're the one that came on an unrelated topic to flame commercial MUDs. If you want to let bygones be bygones, then don't start flames.

Good job making ill-conceived assumptions! Keep it up!

- Ryan
Old 09-10-2003, 12:21 AM   #12
Delerak

Who is making assumptions? This is what you wrote when you replied to me, I wasn't flaming, I was simply stating my opinion, which can be summed up as, I think it's bull ****. From what you wrote above you disagree? A clash of opinions, and I'm not even going to take the time to write out why my belief is better than yours, because it would be a waste of my time. I could care less what you do on your mud, I was stating my opinion, and will gladly argue with you through e-mails and spare the readers here our idiotic debate.
Tis another thing that would sway this conversation to a whole different perspective is if you even played Achaea, but I'm done now. By the way your use of advanced words aren't impressing me. What does psychology have to do with this?

-Delerak
Old 09-10-2003, 03:40 AM   #13
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
I think the point Ryan was trying to make is that the forum in which you chose to state your opinion of a particular business model was an inappropriate forum in which to do so.

Well, as Ryan was a major player on Achaea for years (with over 2500 hours of playing time) should we be expecting the promised change in perspective now?

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:08 AM   #14
Athemair

Well, my intent certainly wasn't to stir things up like this. I just wanted to say hello, talk a bit about my favorite mud, and post around a bit. I'll still try to do so. But anyways, my thanks to Malaclypse and The Logos, as their opinions reflect my own very closely.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #15
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Malaclypse wrote:
The_logos wrote:
I think the point both Delerak and Jazuela was trying to make is that the 'Introduce Yourself' Board is not the right forum to use for blatant promotions of a particular Mud, which is what the first posters on this thread were indulging in.  There is the Promotions Board for that, and mis-using other boards for it usually draws some flames.

Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #16
Athemair

Seriously, here, people. If you go back and read my introduction, was I actually "promoting?" I was just talking about myself and what I enjoy doing--I happen to -like- Achaea very much, and if I choose to talk about it when I talk about myself, then who are you to criticize this? I wasn't promoting it--thats not my job. Is it wrong to be a fan or something? I wish the people in this thread would just calm down. It's as if its wrong to talk about a mud on a mud forum. *rolls eyes*
Old 09-10-2003, 01:34 PM   #17
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Well let's see. Three of us actually mention that it is inappropriate to post in this Introduce Yourself folder for what we perceive as the express purpose of promoting a particular game.

The rest of the people who've responded were blathering on about commercial mods, which is also equally off-topic and inappropriate.

So far, the only person who seems to see a problem with this is you. And you're new here.

And yes, you DID go on and on about promoting your game, which was pretty obviously intentional. Six lines about you, with 14 lines about the game, and a second post with another 8 lines about the game. I'd say that's a shameless plug.

As far as constructive criticism goes, if you had bothered paying attention to my post, you'd have seen me ask pointed questions about you, personally - such as what part of the world you live in, what you do when you're not online, what kinds of foods you like..

All things that ARE appropriate in a folder such as this. And I even gave you personal information about myself, so you would see I wasn't just grilling you. You chose, instead, to criticize my lack of employment. This says something about the quality of player whose post I'm reading.

You came to the wrong folder to post a promotion, whether you're willing to admit it or not, and whether you hide it under the facade of a "Hi, I'm me" post or not. It was blatant, it was intentional, and your "buddy" was probably helping to prompt the continuation of the promotion.

I called the spade a spade and you got caught. Get over it and move along, or comply with the rules of this forum and tell us more about YOU, the person, and less about how wonderful your game is.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:56 PM   #18
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
It would be if the pot (myself and Ryan) were the ones that made the original post.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:15 PM   #19
Athemair

I've read enough. I'm really tired of trying to make things normal and pleasant, and having no results. Pardon me for making an innapropriate introduction, which included something I like and am interested in. I think I would rather join a forum in which people accepted you for who you are, other then one where you are criticized and flamed for every word you write--as a matter of fact, this will be my last post here on TMS. I'll still vote for Achaea on the main site (you know, the mud that is always at the number one position) and look elsewhere for people that are actually nice. I would also like to make it clear that I have no problems with Hephos, The Logos, or Malaclypse--they are all very civil and kind. Some of you people at this board need to work on your social skills, and try not to be, for lack of a better word, such jerks.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:40 PM   #20
malaclypse