Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 10-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Blay

Home MUD: Achaea
Blay is on a distinguished road
Ex-Players and a Loss of Interest

Hello,

It's been a long time since I've posted here. This thread is focused on ex players of muds in general. Not that there is anything exactly wrong with muds (most of my fondest gaming memories happened in muds), but I cannot seem to find the interest I once had in them.

It's almost like a close, childhood friend moving off to another country, never to return again.

I've been playing muds for the better part of 10 years or so. I remember having an absolute blast in the first few years. When I'd get tired of a particular mud, I'd try out another, and then return to my home mud after a short break. That worked for quite a while.

Now, however, I can barely play any mud for a month without it feeling like a chore. It's gotten to the point that I have very little interest in mudding any more. This isn't the result of hard feelings toward any particular mud, player-base, or mud admin. It's just as it is. I almost feel like I've lost my favorite pair or shoes or something.

In saying all that, do any of you players feel like you've "outgrown" text muds? In my case, it isn't only text muds; I can't even develop an interest in graphic gaming. Though, I've never had an interest in the latter even at the peak of my mudding career.

Is there anything that can be done on an admin level to hold the interest of long-term players?

Discuss!
Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: Ex-Players and a Loss of Interest

Keeping players interested long-term and losing the spark for mudding are two different things. In the former case you assume the players still want to play your game. For the latter case, it's natural to move on in life, why fight it? There are thousands of hobbies and things to do and be out there, if the time is right, I say move on and experience something new. You only live once.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road

> "I cannot seem to find the interest I once had in them"

Hmm. My peak MUDding days were from 1995 to 2001.

I still do MUD occasionally but I spend much less time. I have become a casual MUDder.

> "It's almost like a close, childhood friend moving off to another country, never to return again. "

Yes. So is it with many hobbies.

> I've been playing muds for the better part of 10 years or so. I remember having an absolute blast in
> the first few years. When I'd get tired of a particular mud, I'd try out another, and then return to
> my home mud after a short break. That worked for quite a while.

I never was like that because in my opinion most MUDs are unplayable.

I always favoured role-playing centric MUDs. That means, all the MUDs that displayed
hitpoints automatically in numbers were out of the question. I can not choose from
many MUDs thus.

> Now, however, I can barely play any mud for a month without it feeling like a chore.

Depends on the players involved. If there are good roleplayers, it NEVER gets boring.

It does get boring if less and less players play a MUD though.

> It's gotten to the point that I have very little interest in mudding any more. This isn't
> the result of hard feelings toward any particular mud, player-base, or mud admin.
> It's just as it is. I almost feel like I've lost my favorite pair or shoes or something.

Understandable. You lost interest in MUDding. Time to move on.

> In saying all that, do any of you players feel like you've "outgrown" text muds?

Hmm partially. I am older now than I used to be too so I just can't spend as
much time. Also there are less players in general.

I remember on my main MUD, we used to have around 70 players in peak
times in 1999.

Nowadays, we have around 15 players in peak times.

That's just barely working ...

> In my case, it isn't only text muds; I can't even develop an interest in graphic gaming.

I never played these. They did not interest me. They are focused on leveling.

What is the interest in that? I never understood it.

> Though, I've never had an interest in the latter even at the peak of
> my mudding career.

Me neither.

> Is there anything that can be done on an admin level to hold the
> interest of long-term players?

You need to cater to as many different playing styles as possible. But
you also need to ensure that players do not drive off other players.

There are players who cheat and multiplay and admin is inactive
because they are so detached from the game play already, so
frustrated and unwilling to invest time, that things just fall
apart.

Also you need to give players something new every once in a
while. The MUD needs to grow and evolve. And with admin
that is disgruntled, this barely works at all.
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road

I've mudded for 20 years but it's been a on and off affair.

I have wide tastes in games: Board Games (Risk, Third Reich, Squad leader), Role Playing (D&D, AD&D), 4X Computer Games (Civ, MOO, Col, MOM), Computer Wargames (V4V, Tigers on the Prowl, Empire), Flight Sims (Red Baron, Aces series), Racing Sims (World Circuit, Test Drive, Stunts), Roguelikes (Nethack, Moria), Card Games (Poker, Euchre, Gin), Chess, Checkers, etc.

I suppose when I get bored of one I just switch.

As for "outgrowing" text muds... are you sure you meant to write that? They're some of the most sophisticated games around. What could possibly be more "grown up" than a text mud? You can outgrow Tic Tac Toe and Go Fish but all the games I listed above (plus muds) are the pinnacle of gaming.
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

I play muds on and off. One day maybe I won't.

Muds are just comptuer games. Nothing more, nothing less. They're not a cult, a lifestyle, or a community. They're games. Sometimes, you feel like playing one type of game. Sometimes, you feel like playing another. Sometimes, you're done with a type of game. The objective of computer games is to have fun. If muds aren't fun for you today, go play something else. If you feel like playing muds again, play them. If you don't, have fun doing other things.

It's silly to try to make muds more than the hobby they are. If you're done with muds, for now or forever, that's cool. You're not turning your back on the community, or leaving the cult, or forsaking your lifestyle. You're just playing some other type of game today, or doing some other hobby.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

I think pure hack-n-slash muds have the most to fear from technological advancements, better UIs, graphics, multimedia, etc. since that type of gameplay is largely designed for the pure visceral experience of battle.

Roleplay and/or more interaction based muds still offer an experience that is superior to what you can get from graphical MMOs.

So I think a lot of this boils down to what type of games you like. There are certain types of experiences for which MUDs are still the best way to obtain that experience.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
koteko

koteko is on a distinguished road

On the general point, I do empathise with the OP. I believe there isn't really anything an admin can do in this case, if you have tried a lot of different kind of MUD (RPI or not, PKilling or no), especially if you've tried the most "innovative"/uncommon ones. Also different settings can help but if nothing works..how could an admin find a way to keep you enjoy playing?

There is a thing, however, that YOU can do: "level up". If you like RPIs, propose yourself as a quester for a MUD whose setting, on the paper, particularly appeals you even if it makes you bored while playing it. If you don't like role playing, you might still pick a MUD you used to like and propose yourself as a builder or something else.

I'm in your same situation, and after a lot of years of mudding and playing videogames, now I'm developing one. This has put a lot of excitement in me!
koteko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Definately!

I think your point is good. A good MUD is like a very good book. You might read it once or several times or years later go back to it. If the author is a good writer you may read other books by the auther. However, unlike a book a MUD is dynamic, it can change, the main characters can evolve even die. It is fascinating to watch and be a part of this.

What we do on Ateraan is evolve with the story. A few years ago we introduced a whole new aspect to the story and had a massive playerwipe. It was intense and exciting.

In the last few months Ateraan's staff and players have had in influx of events and story that have had the book change and evolve. For example, the game of Leather Ball has been introduced as part of the story and playing it has been a new incredible different experience for the key characters (you). There are many more events that have occurred and several big ones that will change the story again over the next months.

This is what we do as Staff on this particular game to keep things changing and exciting. I won't give away the new events and story lines but expect them to be big and noticably different. If you've had a read of Ateraan years ago, I'd recommend taking another look at this book.

Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote