Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Fact VS Opinion

I chuckled when I read this, I have to admit. The idea that the style of play you favor is a "threat" to anyone shows a great degree of naivete over what drives people to play MUDs or online games in general.

Generally, it isn't roleplaying. What you call roleplaying serves to attract a very small niche of players to a particular game and drives most other people away. The only threat it poses is to a MUD that adopts that style of play in the hopes of attracting large numbers of players, as that very style of play ensures most people will have no interest in the MUD.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #22
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Ask the only three people that care: Prof1515, Delerak, and Jazuela, none of which ran, admined, or even play (anymore) the three MUD's that coined the phrase.

Which brings up the same point I bring up on each of these threads. Why is this being discussed by ad-hoc defunctionaries and even being continued as a discussion when the 3 MUD's that coined the phrase have never even once weighed in on the issue?
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #23
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

They honestly don't care enough about it, and neither do I. I just like to cause strife and mayhem when I can.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

I wish more people would understand and acknowledge this. In fact, mimicking real life is a bit of a crutch. It is the closest thing to what we do every day, and thus the easiest thing to role play.

That is one of the many reasons I always felt Ian McKellen got robbed when he lost the best supporting actor Oscar to Jim Broadbent (in a movie nobody even saw, Iris) who played a real life person.

But most importantly, it is arrogance to the highest degree to universally declare that the type of role play and the type of features one likes to be the best. That is probably why folks like prof and Delerak are being mostly ignored for the most part now (I wish we could get stats on how many people used the forum ignore feature on them by now). This has also been the legacy and the history of the RPI term defenders (note that I said "RPI term defenders", not "RPI players"). Their defenses drip with arrogance and elitism that "their" way is the best. Well, their way isn't the best, and they need to understand and accept that.

The real reason they hate every term other than RPI is the other terms don't have an implied superiority to them. It really is that simple.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #25
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

It's really not that simple. Little do people know I play non-RPI muds, the fact is I don't care what other muds do. I just don't like muds preaching that they have this great roleplaying world when it's not true. Expectations can grow or fizzle, my expectations grew from the time I played an RPI mud to this day. IF I am logging into roleplay I don't want to encounter certain things that I know will have me critisizing the mud for something. That's why I fight for the word RPI because I don't want to see it being used by muds that have no right using it.

The same goes for any label, I don't want to visit a godwars mud that isn't godwars, I don't want to visit a star wars mud that isn't star wars.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #26
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough

Fact: Your Crusade to Defend All That is Termed RPI has more or less petered out.
Opinion: It's because your opinion is yours, and not widely shared, nor genuinely valid.

Fact: Strife and Mayhem are defined as major problems.
Opinion: What you do is more like annoyance and driveling.

I stated the above for demonstrative purposes only, to edify those who do not fully read topic titles, or have difficulty understanding that one person's perception set (hereafter abbreviated PER SE) does not constitute perceptions others ought to perceive (hereafter abbreviated POOP).

The POOP on the topic of RPIs being better for roleplay is stinky. I say that PER SE.
What seems to rankle is that people don't just gobble up POOP and call it dinner.

Me, I still like hamburger, even if it perma-deaths me before I get a chance to enjoy my apple pie. I can just run through the drive-in a second time, order apple pie, and pretend like I'm two people. I'm sure it fools everyone, mainly myself, that somehow, I'm a better customer and a smarter consumer, because I went through the drive-in twice, and still got my apple pie.

That's my POOP, and it's sticking to you.
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

Because the only people who really care are (1) the admin who consider their muds roleplaying-oriented, and are offended that they don't qualify as RPI muds, and (2) a handful of players who like to be able to use the term "RPI" when searching for their preferred style of mud.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #28
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

I fit neither #1 or #2 of your criteria.

That is a fact, which means your post was just an opinion.

If you had perhaps added a qualifier of "most" instead of the word "only" in your first sentence, or possibly a few more options, it could have been fact.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #29
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

But do you really care? :P

All posts are opinions.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #30
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

Silliness. I care, but I don't have any interest in using the RPI moniker.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #31
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about

Can you either (a) stop, or, (b) do it somewhere else, please?
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote