Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Laiu

Laiu is on a distinguished road
Talking

An online role playing game not just about levels, skills and races. We aim beyond your expectations, seeking the essence of a role playing game, constantly evolving since 1999. Your character is more than a sheet: it is a life, where there is everything to choose from, including an intricate political system, warfare, personal combat second to none, professionally written text to inspire, and a host of other original additions. The First Age of Avalon is the longest-lasting role playing game online, which has never stopped aiming for perfection in every aspect. It is a world unto itself, unparalleled in quality and complexity. Come and experience the power of this realm where it is difficult to separate reality and the adventurous life of Avalon. It is a breath-taking journey into the imagination, where a game is no longer a game, where you, and only you, set the limits of the possible!

Come join us at: firstage.net PORT 23

OR visit our site:

NOTE- there is a Java connection to First Age for anyone who isnt using a client such as Zmud or Portal etc.
Laiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I usually refrain from responding to promotions, especially since most of them contain a lot of subjective statements. (You may believe that your game is the best one, the most advanced one, etc.)

However, when you make statements like:

This isn't remotely true. We've been up continuously since 1994, and we're not remotely the first online game where roleplaying was a primary feature. I couldn't find an exact reference, but MUSHes have been around since 1989, and those are frequently entirely about roleplaying.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
cron0s

cron0s is on a distinguished road
I think the OP's statement about being the longest running online game comes from the fact that First Age is an offshoot of the original Avalon which has been going since 1989. I doubt this qualifies as the longest running either, but it's certainly been around a long time.

It's been years since I have played Avalon, but I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys immersive rp, politics and PvP. The games are similar to IRE, but attract more hardcore players due to being subscription only. They also have a faster combat system that is harder to bot and there is much less emphasis on leveling/PvE.
cron0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Gemstone has been around since 1987.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Gemstone is still around? I thought it was dead, I got to check that out again. Many fond memories.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Laiu

Laiu is on a distinguished road
If you have a problem with it, ask the Gods to change it on the webpage, because that is what I am using to advertise it with. Sorry if anyone got offended, I am just trying to bring more people to the realm.

-Laiu
Laiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 AM   #7
pwyll

pwyll is on a distinguished road
Not surprising as The Logos was the incomparable Shiatan and then Lazarus the god of pain (after a brief stint as The Messiah) on Avalon.

His cruelty in all incarnations, as well as Shiatan's gestures of devotion to his patron, are still legendary.
pwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:23 AM   #8
m0ya

m0ya is on a distinguished road
m0ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
the_logos
Legend

Wow, people still remember me? I haven't even logged in there since 1997. (Shaitan, btw, not Shiatan).

--matt
Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Matt was The Messiah? It's like an episode of The Twilight Zone!
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:13 AM   #11
pwyll

Yeah, in fact there is actually a "who was the best X" series of posts going on right now. Shaitan is up for best sorcerer of course.  Has to be based on the legend because people are overlooking bastards like Panaideos and going straight to contemporaries who make a more anemic showing.

I, however, was around at the tail end of Shaitan so I remember how he earned his place as Mephisto's Chosen One.  Have to say, you don't see that committment to roleplay anymore.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:12 AM   #12
cron0s

cron0s is on a distinguished road
Sorry don't mean to hijack too much, that one just set off my IRE fanbois detector. I logged in my old character to check the Avalon BB, and only one person mentioned Shaitan as best sorcerer, I'm guessing that was you pwyll?

I'd also be careful about holding characters like Shaitan up as examples of fine roleplay. It's easy enough to play a sadistic evil killer when you are the type of player who enjoys competitive PK. It's even easier when you can afford to advance your character faster than most other people. I do however find it funny when people on IRE games whine that they attract too many credit whoring PKers who always seem to rp one dimensional evil sadists. Duh.

I saw that one on another board and decided to cut out and keep because it made me laugh. I'm pretty sure anyone who has ever played a game like Avalon or IRE will recognise that type of player!
cron0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:07 AM   #13
the_logos
Legend

Actually, you know, it's not. It's easy to be sadistic and evil, but it's not easy to be sadistic and evil consistently for a long period of time unless you're a psycho irl. It gets pretty #### lonely if you're completely unwilling to step out of the evil overlord character, because the character has to be willing to treat all acquantinces (he has no friends) as expendable. It was fun, but only for a year or two.

--matt
Old 08-06-2005, 03:58 AM   #14
pwyll

I don't know why your IRE fanboi detector went off. I don't believe any of my comments were about anything Logos has done on any IRE games.

I am actually disappointed with Achaea for not being more creative and for having guilds that are so derivative of Avalon's. Granted, improvements have been made, but it isn't hard to recognize Avalon's loremaster profession in the runewardens, etc.

I didn't nominate Shaitan as best sorcerer. Since the question I was answering was whether people remember him, a vote from another person and my recollection of his exploits is probably enough to qualify as a yes. (And I am sure his old foe Allanon who is still a regular remembers him as well)

As for holding him up as a fine example of roleplay, I was specifically referring to the actions which earned him a place as Chosen One as laudable. Ironically, it was more masochistic (sp?) than sadistic.