Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Found this article on Wired today about a report suggesting the AMA (American Medical Association) recognize game addiction as a specific disorder.

Personally I don't think game addiction is a "specific" disorder. I know I get addicted to games very easily, but I get addicted to ANYTHING very easily. Game addiction is one symptom of a larger cause.

No qualifications to make this statement other than years of observation. What do you folks think?
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
There seems to be people who are addicted to all kinds of weird things. There's people addicted to programming just like some are addicted to gaming. I wonder who's the biggest addict. The ones making the game or the ones playing it?

In general I think there are levels of addiction that could be seen as a disorder. That isn't limited to gaming though.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Keep in mind that the same report said that MMO "addiction" was more like pathological gambling than actual addiction as well, and that there was no overwhelming proof that game addiction existed.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
I vote the ones making it are more addicted (using a loose non-medical definition of "addiction"), at least speaking for myself and from my own experiences.

I know I have spent hours upon hours designing and coding a system to be how I envision, skipping meals and putting off non-essential social interaction. I have also worked for others before that seemed to not only be addicted to their "concept" of a game, but repeatedly returned to attempting to make it after failures.

How many of us have not talked about our games outside of the internet? Those blank stares from non-gamers should speak volumes.

There is a line in using any form of escapism. The old "use and abuse" mantra. If a game helps relieve stress and is entertaining then you are likely using it. It it interferes with responibilities and interaction outside of the game then you may have an addiction (in my opinion).

Does coding, administration or playing of games change brain chemistry? I have no clue. Can games be addictive? Hell yes! The good ones often are.

Here is another link discussing "Detox for Video Game Addiction" at a .
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

For any personality prone to addiction, ANYTHING can be addictive to the point of personal harm. Stamp collecting. Investing in Star Wars action figures. Gathering every Superman comic. Catching butterflies. Playing fantasy football. Attending Mets games.

I'd like to collect grant money for writing about every little thing that can indicate people get too invested in their hobbies.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Malkara

Malkara is on a distinguished road
Mmm. Mets games.
Malkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
I have to agree with everyone here. Addiction is addiction "period". Problem is, sometimes its not "seen" as an addiction. I am sure that a scientist that gives up nearly everything to achieve some goal, and struggles to do so for years, is as "addicted" to it as someone coding software can be. The only difference is, we see MMOs as useless, while we see a new kind of light bulb "useful", so we call the later eccentric, while the former is "addicted". In truth, they may both be addicted. Mind you, I do think that a distinction should be made and any treatment needs to be to limit the damage in those cases, not prevent people from doing brilliant things.

I do however have a serious problem with them insisting on labeling them each with some special name. The nature of how and why addiction works is the same *regardless* of the addiction. Its mechanisms are not completely known, but well enough known to tell when its a real one, or just some moron making up a term, so they can then turn around and say, "Well, its not really that some people get addicted easier, its because of the **existence** of the thing they became addicted too. That is the problem, even if it is genetic." Umm. No... Because, as Brody says, addictive people get addicted *regardless* of eliminating the things you think they shouldn't be addicted to.

Was going to say something about the kinds of people that are most vocal about anything some crank psychologist or media news outlet invents, and how they are *usually* made up of people that have replaced addiction to X with the addiction to belonging to a group that attacks X, but decided that it would be hard not to get too specific and offend someone that belongs to one of those groups.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
I've always wondered why playing online games is considered any more addictive than watching television, reading novels or listening to music for hours a day.

Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Richter

Name: Marc
Home MUD: Lusternia
Richter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Richter
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno
Experts now oppose this.

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
Brody
Legend

That is awesome news!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road
Re: Game addiction as a recognized "disorder"?

It's the human interaction that comes along with online games that makes them be deemed more "addictive" because people can get so enveloped in a game that they are better friends with the players on a game than they are with people in real life. If you think I'm kidding, you're obviously not as addicted to mudding as I am. The old use and abuse... I definitely fall in the abuse category. I used to skip classes in High School to go to the library and play a MUD or code on one.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
Lasher
Administrator

I skip other stuff to work on my MUD. Then I skip working on my MUD to play someone else's MUD. Then I skip playing on someone else's MUD to work on a MUD forum. Somewhere among all this enough actual real work gets done to pay the bills so I guess it's ok.

First thought when the iPhone came out? Does it have a telnet and SSH client yet
Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Lasher
Administrator

A follow-up article was posted in Wired on this today, it's almost amusing to think of "health warnings" on our login pages

Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road

Forum addiction . It would be nice if designers recognized addiction and designed the games to be less addictive. When you work on some task you like for a while you seem to enter a certain flow. Ever read about the flow theory()?
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #17
Rathik

Rathik is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rathik

Hah, are you serious? It's any game designer's dream for their game to be addictive.
Rathik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #18
Brody
Legend

Yes, but in this day and age, how many would openly say so?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #19
Lasher
Administrator

I'll openly say so, the whole point is to make people want to play the game, the same way as chocolate makers make it taste good.

People have to accept some personal responsibility for how much and how often they play. We give people an option to "freeze" themselves for a period of time for those "willpower challenged", but otherwise you make your own choices.

I know in the past I've spent way to many hours playing games like Oblivion and playing MUDs, but that is my problem not Bethesda's or the owner of whichever MUD I've spent too much time on.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #20
Brody
Legend

Well, most game developers only go so far as to say they want their games to have "high replayability" and "stickiness." I've noticed them steering well away from the word "addictive." It's got a bad connotation with the knee-jerk crowd.

Of course, I agree that if I'm "addicted" to a game, it's my problem to solve. But if a developer openly says they want to addict people to their game in this increasingly litigious age, it's a little dangerous.

Game addiction as a recognized "disorder"? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUD Addiction Drealoth MUD Administration 29 03-12-2006 11:55 PM
MUD game Dianii Newbie Help 5 03-10-2006 02:27 AM
Mud Addiction Spoke Tavern of the Blue Hand 11 06-02-2005 02:12 PM
A new game to try out Ivalaine Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 07-24-2004 03:26 AM
The Name Game Loremaster Advertising for Players 7 01-12-2003 03:00 PM