Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 PM   #61
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

Oh no!  A moron escaped from Fark!

Moderators?

Edit: Um, this idiot is hotlinking from somethingawful.com. I hope nobody remembers what happened last time some genius got that idea. My eyes still ache.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #62
Dubthach

Dubthach is on a distinguished road
Of course it matters what we think. TMS is a site that, at least partially, devotes itself to being a useful index of muds. It's not like you pick one at random and connect to it. You pick one that fits the criteria that you want and try it out. If that game is not clear about its setup, that's ten minutes of your life you won't get back (or six hours or whatever). Whatever we can do to prevent people from losing those minutes/hours/whatever is helpful.

Dub
Dubthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #63
John

John is on a distinguished road
Yui> Considering your saying "that's dealt with with other policies" for nearly everything I'm saying. Then yes, I agree with you, and you pretty much misunderstood what I meant.

When I said asking players to leave for killing NPCs not for IC reasons, but for the EXP points. I was taking all those other considerations you said should be dealt with with other policies.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:26 PM   #64
Yui Unifex

Question

I didn't misunderstand. You misspoke. You said:
Then you later justified experience points as a measure of IC growth:
So yes, if you change the entire meaning of the original statement to which I responded and say that killing NPCs for OOC reasons isn't allowed, then you would be correct.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:37 PM   #65
John

killing solely for EXP points is OOC. After all, exp points don't exist ICly.

I assumed people would realize that that was what I meant.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:35 AM   #66
welcor

welcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to welcor
Lightbulb

The IC version of 'experience points' is 'character improvement'. So you say that killing stuff solely for XP should be frowned upon, but if I kill to 'improve my character', it's ok ?

Man, that logic is twisted.

Btw, John, I like your mud economy post. It really hits the nail on the head.
welcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:49 AM   #67
John

Yes. So if your character doesn't want to improve his combat, but you go around killing stuff anyway for the exp points that wouldn't be allowed. So going around killing citizens in a city when your not playing a homicidal maniac, all because you want exp points also wouldn't be allowed.

When you have an IC reason, your no longer wanting to do something JUST FOR THE EXP POINTS. That was what I was driving at.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:16 PM   #68
Grey

Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
Awesome post.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:19 PM   #69
Yui Unifex

Question

Um, you specifically stated that experience points were measure of character growth. They have a significant IC effect else RP muds wouldn't implement them!

In that case, I can hardly think of anyone that is going to be impacted by this rule. Nearly everybody sees experience points as merely a means to the end of character improvement, not an end in itself. But thanks for clarifying your point.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:52 AM   #70
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
That's not the only reason that many "RP" MUDs leave experience points in, just one reason. The others include a lack of coding ability to remove and replace them with a more realistic system of learning, lack of creativity to come up with a more realistic system of learning, lack of thought on the part of the designers to consider that simply killing something is really a poor way of emulating learning, and a lazy way of avoiding any of the above because they're not "implementing" anything. They're merely leaving the code as is and working around it. The code is dictating the nature of learning in the game, rather than vice versa. There are, after all, some MUDs out there that don't show you "experience points" and handle the learning process in a much better manner.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:39 AM   #71
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
So, basically, anyone who implements a system you don't agree with is lazy and stupid.

Glad we got that cleared up. Could you be any more pompous and opinionated?
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:09 PM   #72
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Did I say all MUDs shared those reasons, much less every one of them?  No.  But look at a good number of MUDs out there and you'll find them to be pretty much all the same code-wise (variations in the code-base aside), whether they're RP-accepted, RP-encouraged, RP-enforced, or just Hack-and-Slash.  It's a topic that has been brought up (and complained about) before.

Everyone's opinionated, including you and me.  Some people like stock MUDs.  Some people don't.  Some people like H&S.  Some people don't.  Some people like RP.  Some people don't.  Heck, the subject heading of this conversation was "Why I won't play your MUD."  It's someone's opinion, neither good nor bad.

I stand by my observation.  Is it brutal?  Yes.  Am I stating my honest opinion, not sugar-coating it?  Yes.  Those that agree with me, agree.  Those that don't, don't.  It's their opinion too, whichever way they stand (I'm sure someone will point out that it's their opinion that I'm a <insert flame here> too).  But I stand by my observation.  Try out a couple hundred MUDs and you'll see what I mean.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Why I won't play your mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW MUD, COME PLAY vendetta Advertising for Players 0 07-23-2006 03:20 PM
Come Play With Us TTTGames-Robert Advertising for Players 5 10-27-2005 10:32 PM
looking for a mud I used to play... surfdaddy Advertising for Players 0 07-28-2005 11:57 AM
Looking to Play?? Myra Advertising for Players 0 09-06-2002 11:48 PM
I think this mud is really fun to play Alley Advertising for Players 0 08-24-2002 01:27 AM