Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 10-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #21
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Judging from these replies and my own experience, I would say that for a lot of people, things which go against the expectations of the theme do indeed detract from the 'fun'.

As with all things, it really depends on your audience. But if (for example) you're creating a Star Wars themed mud then I think it's fair to say that Star Wars fans will probably make up a sizable portion of your intended audience - and such people are likely to play with the expectation of the mud being relatively faithful to the books/movies.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:32 PM   #22
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
I think as long as that sort of thing is ICly justified, it's acceptable - as in: if you're a human, you have to a) do a massive amount of weight training; b) practice lifting and swinging the sword around until you don't dislocate your arm when you try; and c) practice fighting with it for at least a few IC years, before you're even going to be able to lift it and wield it and fight - much less fight successfully - with that thirty-pound sword designed for giants.
It's when there's little - or no - IC justification that I object to stuff like that.
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Why go outside the scope of your base story - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graphical Mud needs base staff Amnon Advertising for Staff 0 07-08-2006 11:42 AM
Good starting code base darmir MUD Coding 3 03-08-2006 01:50 PM
Looking for Code Base darmir MUD Administration 3 06-02-2005 01:00 PM
Windows Code Base? Mierza MUD Coding 3 05-30-2003 12:17 AM
Error Keeping 1stMud base from Starting up: April MUD Coding 1 02-21-2003 10:46 PM