Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 04-22-2003, 11:22 AM   #21
welcor

welcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to welcor
Exclamation

I know this thread hasn't been active just recently, but skimming through it, I noticed a couple of apparent misconceptions.

The old diku-style DT's wouldn't actually kill you. They were more or less a call to raw_kill(), which would extract your character to the main menu (as would a death), but wouldn't cost you experience points. In other words, it was an equipment recycler, more than anything.
That said, I think the use of DT's in a mud where equipment plays an important role, is annoying to the players, but benificial to the mud.
While I agree that a DT shouldn't just appear out of nowhere (the 'drop of a ledge' example above), I'd say that there doesn't have to be a big sign saying "YOU ARE SURE TO DIE IF YOU GO SOUTH". I've seen an example using an airlock. When you closed the door you enterd by, two short messages flashed (water is rising around your feet.... around your body), giving the player a couple of seconds to make sure they had waterbreath on - or teleport out, before the you drowned. It was a great place to run and hide, if you were being followed. After the water filled the room, anyone entering without waterbreath would start drowning, too. Needless to say, this was a PK mud, and portals were prone to catch up with you, eventually, if you didn't hide out in smart places (such as off the cliff, in your previous replies).
In the same mud were also 'delayed' DT's (a particular loft in the old city of Thalos springs to mind), which gave you just about enough time to read the description and act, before they 'killed' you.

Well, enough ramlbing.
welcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:31 PM   #22
bhamv

bhamv is on a distinguished road
Worst deathtrap I've ever seen as a player was at the entrance of a castle. The first room inside basically had a description that said "This is a very tough area, if you are anything less than a huge powerful character turn back right away". And then when you turned around and tried to leave a deathtrap in the doorway killed you.

No warnings, no chance of survival, and the room even attracts you to fall for the trap because you think you're preserving your own skin. After that experience every other deathtrap felt nice and tingly.
bhamv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:13 PM   #23
Rafnir

Rafnir is on a distinguished road
Red face

Only time I ever find deathtraps appropriate is in hardcore maxed out I am god legend player areas and in a beginners level, both of which of course plastered in coloured lettering in the description as well as dark, gloomy, downright depressing visualizations, sometimes its good to keep the players on their toes when they get thinking "Oh the room descrips dont mean anything!"
Rafnir is offline   Reply With Quote

Death Traps - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should a mud's "death" be planned from the start? Burr Advanced MUD Concepts 4 02-17-2005 08:21 PM
Character Death karlan Advanced MUD Concepts 13 04-08-2003 08:50 AM
Death Systems Crystal MUD Administration 9 03-05-2003 11:00 AM
Necromium: Where Death is a Way of Life Ignus Advertising for Players 0 02-10-2003 06:25 PM
Circle - Death Gate make errors Eagleon MUD Coding 11 04-20-2002 10:43 AM