Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
Advanced Reffed Combat Systems

As a MUSHer, and a fan of refereed combat (ie, a real person judging conditional modifiers), I've been wondering: Are there any MU*s out there that have successfully implemented support code for reffed combat, and what kind of features do they possess?

One of the major projects I'm currently working on is attempting to successfully integrate 'combat code' to make combat easier, while maintaining the feel of genuine reffed combat my community seems to like.

Things I have done so far, without anywhere else to look to:
1) A command to mass-roll initiative for everyone.
2) A command to calculate attacks, if the attack succeeds, where the attack will hit, and how much damage the attack will do after the victim's defense is taken into account. This code also spends things like bullets (or other ammo) as required.
3) A command to allow players to apply damage to a location, while taking into account their constitution for damage mitigation.

I don't exactly go out and wander the MU* community at large, but I don't know of many other places right now that have reffed combat support systems, most of them seem to, at best, have calculators to assist or extremely simple systems to avoid the need for calculation.
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Hyena

Hyena is on a distinguished road
Re: Advanced Reffed Combat Systems

What is a reffed combat system at all?
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road

More common in non-MUD codebases, and generally used in some RP heavy games.

Anyway, a reffed combat system refers to the fact that there is a referee (or ref) guiding rolls. Think of it like a tabletop, having a GM tell the player what they need to roll, then the PC rolls it, everyone goes to look up results, results are applied, and play continues with the next person's turn.
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

Competantly written code eliminates the need for a "ref" in a system. The vast majority of MU*s don't use a "ref" because "calculations" are what computers do best (and were designed for) and far more fairly than a "ref" who might make mistakes or use bias in determining "calculations".
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Telelion

Telelion is on a distinguished road

I agree; one of the benefits MUDs have over tabletop games is the elimination of the countless hours wasted paging through rulebooks for underwater piercing weapon damage to internal organs while mounted on weresharks.
Telelion is offline   Reply With Quote