Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 04-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
This is just like the thread about the Schiavo case, but about stem cell research.  The question is: If you were in Congress and a vote was put in for government sanctioned creation of new stem-cell lines, how would you vote?
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Of the six "recent" threads on TMS right now, one is about the pope(*), one is about Schiavo, and one is about stem cells. None of these have anything to do with MUDs. Can we agree that there are better places to discuss these topics than TMS?

(*) At one point, that thread did address MUDs, but that part was deleted and a discourse on the pope has taken it over instead. Why the moderators are concerned about deleting tasteless MUD-related topics and ignoring tasteful non-MUD-related topics escapes me. I'd much rather have the former- reading about MUDs is why I come to TMS.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Ilkidarios

It doesn't have to be about MUDs, it's in the Tavern of the Blue Hand. This part of the board is about all stuff not related to MUDs. If you want to talk about MUDs, go start your own topic in one of the areas about MUDs.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
I was thinking the same thing when I saw this additional political BS post.

This doesn't mean it is a good idea to pollute the forums with one political thread after another.

Isn't it obvious by now that nothing good comes from ANY of those threads?
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:09 AM   #5
Ilkidarios

On the contrary, I think we gain a substantial amount from these threads. We can see everyone's opinions on these things, thus letting us see into their personalities, albeit for a fleeting and small idea. That way we can better understand the ideas of the whole, and individuals around us. A better perception of each one's ideas will lead to a more comfortable environment for all the forum-goers. Imagine, if you will, walking into a room full of people. Wouldn't you feel more comfortable if you felt you knew something personal about each and every individual, instead of just walking into a room of strangers who you don't know what to say around?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:16 AM   #6
Threshold
Legend

You're joking, right?

Right. Nothing like an incessant stream of vitriolic flame wars to create a "comfortable environment."

Yes, let us imagine that. In such a room, you don't start up one contentious political issue after another. It is a well known axiom that you do not discuss religion or politics in polite company. You've done both.

These forums are about games- MUDs in particular. Political discussions do not, and have never, brought people together on this or any other forum like it. Such discussions are divisive. That's it. They tear asunder any shread of community that exists around the one thing we all have in common- MUDs.

Frankly, I would support the outright ban of all political discussions as they do nothing but harm the greater purpose of the forums.

At the very least, put them all in one forum and then set that forum to NOT have its threads appear on the main page.

They are not productive. They are harmful, negative, and divisive.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Eh... It's not the political/religious discussions which tear "communities" apart, it's the people who decide that they have nothing better to do than destroy any shread of peace in any place on the web that they visit. The Schiavo thread is actually currently quite civil, if you didn't notice (oops, that'll end soon now), and there exist -many- flamewars on topics that were originally about MUDs.

I've had many such discussions online with no ill will at the end from anyone. Just because this forum isn't mature enough to handle them, doesn't mean there aren't any out there. I don't argue that it's inevitable that these topics will eventually degenerate into ****ing contests, but if you're going to complain about them, don't point the finger at the subject line.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #8
Threshold
Legend

It is very simple: don't borrow trouble.

There are far, far, far better web sites, blogs, and forums for political discussions.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #9
Ilkidarios

[edit]
Can anyone tell me how this ended up back on the recent discussions list?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
And why does it keep moving up on the list without anyone posting to it? It's a very uppity little thread isn't it?

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Likely someone voting. Because a Top Mud Sites poll is where I get all my medical ethics information. Thanks for that valuable input, my unseen C. Everett Koop.

Bleh on these threads being bumped. (I'm only posting because it's already "most recent".
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
Ilkidarios

Yeah, can we even post polls anymore? Not to keep this on the recent list, just wondering.

What's you opinion on... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What was your opinion on... Ilkidarios Tavern of the Blue Hand 14 04-10-2005 01:02 AM