Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 04-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Violette

Question Is the Portal client going to be free?

On their website there is a message that it's going Open Source. Does this mean free, as well?...
Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
Re: Is the Portal client going to be free?

should mean that.Open source software is usually supposed free.If the Portal guys say open source,but still charge,they will get lots of flak from the open source community
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

It depends on how they define "Open Source", and the license they release the software under.

A widely accepted definition of "Open Source" can be found .
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
The_Fury

The_Fury is on a distinguished road

Funny that they announce it as open source now, especially after i had emailed Scott about 5 times wanting to buy the source to make a client for my game, which just so happens to have one of the most complete installs of MIP.

I look forward to the code release as i will now be able to move forward with closer integration of client and source and extensions that i wish to make to make a more cohesively designed and implemented game.
The_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

What is Portal?

Who is Scott?

Where is this announcement?
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

Information on Scott Fairchild's Portal MUD Client can be found at .
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #8
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

Definitely an impressive feature set. I only wish a client like that was out there but with a more streamlined UI.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
The_Fury

Well it was written in Delphi 4 and nice widget sets did not exist on the ark. Once i have the source in my hands, bringing the UI into the 21st century will be my first undertaking.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Violette

The UI seems good to me, that's one of the reasons I flock to Portal. But that's just me.

Any progress, Fury?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 AM   #11
The_Fury

Doesn't this post belong in the promotions section. Portal can be downloaded for free by anyone and used for free by anyone without restriction, just go to gameaxel and download it and it can be used to connect to ANY mud. The only difference between the registered and non registered versions is the use of the Second Connection feature which is not the best selling point of this client anyways.

Violoett (sorry spelling) I have the source but i have not had time to look at it much, there is a lot missing because of the libraries used that cannot be distributed, so this might take a lot of work to modernise if i cannot get hold of those missing parts.

I will keep you informed however if and when i make some progress with it, which will not be till after exams next month.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Oh come now Kereth, your point was to point people to your game. If someone just wanted to try the client, don't you think they are smart enough to try it on any MUD in this 1000's of MUD forum? Why not just remove your post instead of a follow up? *LOL*
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
The_Fury

Testing the client on a game that has implemented MIP might be a good way for others to see the features of the client and its protocol in action, if Kereth mentioned that his game has impemented X features of MIP then that might have lead others to beleive that it was not blatent game advertising and more of an interest in the clients promotion. I know of few games that have very complete implementations of MIP. The only one i am aware of that implements all features completely is my own. It is not open to players and hardly complete, but you will see every MIP feature in action, tell, chat and room monitors, sounds, images, status guages all implemented and working.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
Violette

Doesn't it expire though? Aren't there some features accessible to registered users only?

Good luck on your exams, btw.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #15
The_Fury

No, the only feature that is different is that secondary connection is disabled in the demo version. The way that portal implements its second connection is clunky to say the least and is not a feature worth worrying about. If you need to have 2 games open at one time its much easier to just open another copy of portal rather than using the 2nd connection feature. (BTW i am a registered user and have never used 2nd connection cause it sucks)

By default portal will not let you open a second copy of itself, there is a way around this outlined in the help pages, you need to make an empty file called allowmultiple.co and put it into the portal folder. Then your able to run as many copies of portal as you require.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #16
Xyzzyn

Xyzzyn is on a distinguished road

Sadly, things like copying, modifying, compiling, giving away and selling the code require an explicit permission. Pretty much the only thing you can do with somebody else’s source code without a license (like any of the ones listed under ) is look at it. That is, unless you wish to rely on the author’s promise not to sue you... which is not at all safe to do.

So unless the author fixes that, I don’t see much development happening for the code.
Xyzzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #17
The_Fury

Fortunately your mistaken. There does not have to be a license, the author has the right to do whatever he wants with his work. In this case he says you can do whatever you like with it without restriction and without exemption.