Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 06-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
hayt3r

hayt3r is on a distinguished road
I was at Slashdot the other day and came across an article on the current lameness of games. Like the author of the article, I don't want to drain hours on monotonous activities in, in this case, MUDs.

I want to instantly obtain the idea equipments and go to town with refreshing areas that are never the same. I want a flexible character system that doesn't restrict me to a specific function - I want to be able to change my character's stats and abilities on the fly. I value my time, so if an hour doesn't produce satisfying results in the game, it's no good. (E.g., don't make me travel through convoluted networks of mazes to travel from Town A to Town B - every single time.) I want a simple learning curve but also requires a decent amount of skill to succeed. Basically, I want ultimate flexibility with the least amount of time invested.

Mindless fun is what I'm stressing here, although the mindless bit must involve some depth. If I wanted thoughtful entertainment, I wouldn't fire up RPI mud. No, I'd just read a book.

Perhaps it's a little to much to ask...

So, any MU* out there that offers what I want?
hayt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
I think you'd be surprised what is available that supports your wish.

How about 6,032,184 rooms worth of refreshing areas, most of which -can't- be the same twice. No such thing as the ideal equipment but a lot of highly desirable gear that really isn't all that tough to acquire.

How about a system where you choose what you train at any time, with the ability to untrain with near unlimited flexibility. No restrictions on training - you can train anything you want so long as you can find a trainer - when you want so long as you have the training hours - even where you want, using tomes.

How about choosing your method of travel - walk, ride, fly, beacon, gateway, compass, ship, or run for your life?

How about a game that differentiates between mindless and brainless? Those with a brain end up having a blast in an addictive and immersive world.  Those who lack aforementioned acuity can still find plenty to be entertained by.

No place will entertain someone who does not want to be entertained, of course.  It's like the old adage of leading a horse to water but can't make him drink. Success with this search is a matter of matching the game's capacity to entertain with the capacity of the seeker to be entertained.

That said, try Legends of Karinth.
It may be what your post indicates that you seek.

legendsofkarinth.com 2345
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote