Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I feel like exploring what is new out there in the mud world, and checking out a few places. I'd like to find 100% custom muds out there to check out.

I don't like Dikurivatives, LP, ROM, etc usually no matter how much the codebase has been changed. In my time mudding I've only encountered one mud which breaks this rule, with that being Dartmud.

If you know of a custom mud or one that is so drastically changed that it can't be recognised as originating from a free codebase, please let me know. I'd also like to know about ones from commercial codebases too, and I'm not scared off by pay to play games.

Cheers

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
Cierel

Cierel is on a distinguished road
I'll start with a few old discussion favorites that I'm sure you've run into before: , , , and . I hope that, no matter what opinions of them may be floating around, everyone can at least acknowledge that Rapture is not a derivative codebase.
Cierel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Hardestadt already runs a Rapture mud - I suspect he's more interested in gathering fresh ideas from other types of mud.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Yeah, he is, though I'll point out that running a Rapture mud is kind of a meaningless statement when it comes to design. As it's an engine, not a codebase, it dictates virtually nothing to you about design. You could use it to make anything from a MUSH-style mud to a pure monster bashing game to a text-based RTS.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
gth

gth is on a distinguished road
is a heavily modified codebase (be sure to walk outside into the wilderness, too).

I can't comment as to whether it's sufficiently modified to satisfy your desire for unrecogniseably ROM/Diku etc. - I haven't seen anything similar in the limited number of other muds that I've tried.
gth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Aminaka

Aminaka is on a distinguished road

And a very fine engine it is too. So I've decided to call it a day with the whole mud thing, after a year and a half of playing and (occasionally) building on a couple of games that utilise this engine, viz. the vampire one and the fluffy new one. And I don't care. And you don't care. Because we're all cynical, hard-hearted nihilists or something.

But...here's a Post Script of sorts.

Over the past few I've also doodled with ROM, danced with DOT, shook it on down with SMAUG (Yes, I know, these are codebases. Right. Got it) and a couple of others, but really, and with the greatest of respect to everyone who works their balls off bringing us their own mud magicks, Rapture muds are just too slick to refuse, in preference to anything else. Jolly good and hurrah and all that. Can't say I actually enjoyed these games, on the whole in a purely OOC sense, but my...Rapture? Bloody nice. Especially the OLC.

Anyway, it's been fun. All power to you, Matt and everyone else who slaves over their mud creation for all our benefits -thanks for the ride.

--'Ara'

<on the Perennially Drifting Off Topic I.D>
Aminaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
the_logos
Legend

Thanks!

Just to clarify again though, our OLC is not a part of Rapture. It's written using a combination of the Rapture scripting language and PHP.

Good luck with...whatever. =)

--matt
Old 01-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
Thanks, after checking out their website this is the sort of thing I like. Its nice to see a mud I haven't played before with less than 15 classes and races. I'm sick of seeing everything from dragon to pig as viable choices, ugh.

Cheers!

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
dwomble

dwomble is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this'll meet your criteria but you could visit .

It's LP but with its own lib written from scratch and there's nothing stock about it at all. If you find another LP like DW it's probably because they're using the DW mudlib or a derivative thereof.
dwomble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
Murpe

Murpe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Murpe Send a message via AIM to Murpe Send a message via Yahoo to Murpe
Smile

Take a look at Tormented Soul, a 100% Java-based RPG currently in development. Its running the Novel to Life game engine (GPL-licensed JavaMUD game engine as a base also has a number of code modifications including MPI libraries and the MySQL Connector-J interface as well) being developed by my small business, .

Tormented Soul Website:

-- Michael
Murpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
Kelthan

Kelthan is on a distinguished road
I cheked out the website concerning the Rapture engine about nine months ago. I fairly drooled over the documentation. But I thought it had a five-figure price tag? (or thereabouts) How in the world are you guys getting your hands on this? (Other than Matt's great games - I know, he created the engine)

I've been using CoffeeMud by Bo Zimmerman. The man is dedicated to bug squashing and enhancements. A while back I brought up a few things that were beyond our coding capabilities. Poof - We now have a bare framework to go classless/leveless and more importantly to us, we can get a system of persistance in place.

In my opinion, has got to be one of the most fleshed out (free) codebases available. For RPI style (please, no RPI debating) I highly recommend the SOI engine released by Traithe not too long ago.

I've been working with CoffeeMud for over a year now, but would love the opportunity to take a peek at Rapture, the website certainly piqued my interest.
Kelthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
the_logos
Legend

Well, Hardestat and his partner bought a license to Rapture, and while I'm not really sure who Aminaka is, it sounds like she was a builder on one of our games.

--matt
Old 01-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
What's especially nice about it?
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for a CUSTOM mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Mud Clients Hephos MUD Announcements 0 09-02-2006 03:29 AM
Custom Graphics Vladaar MUD and RPG Webmasters 5 07-11-2006 12:27 PM
Custom MUD Clients Hephos Advertising for Staff 0 03-11-2004 09:10 PM
Get your own custom mud client! Hephos MUD Announcements 0 11-01-2003 04:51 PM
New ROM 2.4b6 (really custom) needs staff KeridanJT Advertising for Staff 0 07-15-2002 03:12 AM