Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 04-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
Has anyone heard or read anything about a MUD called The Seventh Sun? I've googled and yahoo'd it, but I can't find a listing. I also searched for it here on this site and got an address that lead to a blank page. I think I remember it being at least 2-3 years since they said they where opening. The game sounded promising and fun, so I even gave in when they asked for donations! Now, I can't seem to find them.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
malaclypse

malaclypse is on a distinguished road
I used to chat with their server programmer occasionally who told me they closed up shop. Their domain hasn't been renewed since last year I think. Its too bad really, because like you said their game did sound promising.

- Ryan
malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
wolfpaw

wolfpaw is on a distinguished road
Not surprised.. I was thier gme programmer once. I distinctly remember quiting because Chel's husband was a complete asshole. She was great, and had great ideas.. that guy was
just unbearable. I'm not surprised its gone, but its sad, it would have been a good game.

-D.
wolfpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Gorilla J

Gorilla J is on a distinguished road
Nothing beats a game that asks for donations and then disappears when it's got them.
Gorilla J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
Well, I only donated $20, but I think they had players who donated up to 100 or more dollars. We were all promised items for our characters when the game was finally up and running. Of course the more you donated, the better and more useful the item would be.

Oh well, thanks for the replies. I've been browsing the "Muds in Developing" thread and I'm interested in a few games on that list. This time around, my checkbook is sealed shut!
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #6
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
They approached us a year and a half ago or so looking to get us to publish their MUD, but it wasn't a good fit. Looks like they just gave up at some point.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
I programmed for Chel for a while. She was a wonderful writer and had some durn good ideas.

From what I remember they had several thousand all original rooms done by volunteer builders. A massive project pre-mapped for the builders from an overall world map and done with a custom browser-based building tool.

They had over a thousand people registered at their forums in active discussions. This for a game in pre-alpha. That should give you an idea how good her writing was.

One day I went to check their website and they were gone. If I had to guess it would be server costs that brought it down. That and/or programming costs. That is just a guess.

Very sad.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
moyA

Old 04-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
wolfpaw

wolfpaw is on a distinguished road
I know Chel was serious..I don't think I'd put it under the "rip off" section.. more the 'failed' section. She had the entire
thing documented (I still have them all) .. it would have been a very cool mud. Shame it died off.

D.
wolfpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #10
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
I seriously doubt anyone thinks the Seventh Sun was trying to "rip off" anyone. I could certainly think of a lot easier ways to scam money off of people than starting a MUD!

This is a good illustration that the best of intentions, lots of talent and a good supply of enthusiasm may not be enough to build a MUD up from ground zero. Unless you've done it, it is hard to imagine the pitfalls, obstacles and frustrations that can plague development of such a massive project.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #11
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
What... it's a walk in the park... anyone hve some super glue, I think my pinky fell off gin.

It is a lot of work, one of those, you don't really know what you're getting into... until you're doing it.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Mabus

After contacting the owner of TSS I believe it is safe to say the project is far from dead.

I believe they may re-establish their public online presence soon and I wish them well in their continued and further development.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
Rosella

Rosella is on a distinguished road
I would be very interested in chatting with anyone who was/is associated with The Seventh Sun.

I have to say I've stumbled upon these boards completely by accident and have been spending hours reading them!

Rosella
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:37 AM   #14
moyA

Well, that's good news.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
darmir

darmir is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darmir Send a message via Yahoo to darmir
I was working with Chel and all. I initially created the website for them.
My personal opinion was Chel was great! I think it was the programmer that got her. She let him move into her place, if I remember correctly, and he didn't really do much. Supposedly he told her he worked mostly when she was away from the house. I can't remember his name though, but he was the main reason I left the project because he thought he was the sh**, which he wasn't and scared off other potential programmers. If I remember correctly, he took some of the code when he left.

Other than that, I think Chel was great person and I hope she does get it back up, because I wish her well!
darmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #16
Mabus

That was a nice website. Easy to navigate and pleasing on the eyes.

When I came aboard I junked the code he had. It was nearly useless, and looked like he "borrowed" much of it from other codebases.

I agree. She was/is a great person.

If she wanted me I would likely head back for another go at it. As a coder I love working with good writers and intelligent idea people. She was both.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #17
Juganothion

Juganothion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Juganothion
Yeah, it was an awesome concept, and the ideas they were taking from potential players to give it what everyone wanted within reason is unmatched that I've seen so far.

But building from scratch it's easier to do those types of things, I suppose.
Juganothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #18
thalin

thalin is on a distinguished road
TSS! Don't get me started.

Some of you may or may not know that I was a writer for TSS for many many years. I've written over a thousand detailed rooms as well as editing the work of others and general checking of things.

I can accept completely that they may have run out of funds or options for a way forwards and that this sometimes happens with a business. What I can't accept at all is the way it ended.

Of all the programmers and builders I know I don't think anyone has actually heard from Chel. A lot of people gave up on the project after only hearing alittle bit about it for quite some time. But many stayed and continued their faith in the game and in Chel.

Even after 6 months of not having had a single word from Chel I continued to check the website regularly, my builder inbox... Then, with still no word, I go to log in one day and it won't work.

Huh, maybe there is something wrong with the site or something. Nope, it's down and out. No apologies, no thanks for your help but it just didn't work out. Nothing.

Chel, if you are reading this, please drop me an email, just let us know what happened and if there is ever the chance of it getting off the ground some time in the future. Like many many other people, I think it is a real waste of peoples great ideas and talent.

TSS could have been THE mud as far as I'm concerned and I'd hate for it to just sit in a big box under someones bed.

Thalin.

Ohh, Reale, what muds you been checking out?
thalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:58 AM   #19
thalin

thalin is on a distinguished road
Hehehe. I didn't read the second page of posts until after I'd posted.

Any news on TSS Mabus?

Rosella - if you wanted to chat to someone who was a TSSer my msn addy is - any time.

Ohh, now I've got my hopes up all over again for TSS.
thalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #20
TSSIvory

TSSIvory is on a distinguished road
Re: The Seventh Sun

Well this is a really old post but I feel the need to respond.

Yes, I had programming problems, yes its a big task, yes to all of that . But that's not the reason that the project disappeared. I was hosting the server offsite with a company called Hostaway.net. One day, I went to log in to administer the server (had a PLESK OS) and the license on it was expired. So I started calling.. Trying to get them on the phone to fix it.

No one answered.

No one returned my messages.

No one answered the support tickets.

After about 2 weeks, I was starting to come to the realization they were gone.

With my information.

All of it.

Years... and years. Heh.

I have no excuse. I have nothing to say other than I went pretty much off the ole' rocker. Everything came down on me at that point. The programming issues, the loss of everything, having just had a baby that was not helping! I had stayed out of work for 3 years to devote to that project full time and basically after pushing the reset button more times than I can count, I just.... eh. I kind of curled up in a ball really.

So... A few months ago, I was digging through an old hard drive and I found a very old back up of TSS stuff. About 1.5 years of work was lost to the disappearing Hostaway.net (who has since been bought out by Global Stat who has NO EARTHLY idea what I am talking about when I call... ) but... we have about 8k of the 14k or so rooms we had. Further, I finally got my domain back after waiting for it to Expire... heh. Finally did, and got it back. It was registered with the Hostaway people.

So. Here we are.

Whats going on Chel?! Where can I go to throw rotten fruit at you?! will answer both of those questions =] also works.

I am currently paying a Java Programmer who will start April 5th or there abouts modifying the codebase. Do not ask me when alpha/beta will be as I have no clue and will never get myself in THAT trap again =) We are working hard and have been on the downlow for a couple months now. I am now set up and ready to move forward 'properly' and that's what we are doing.

I know a lot of you put much time into TSS. I am very sorry that I let you down. I was just very devastated. No excuse, just the reason. Hopefully, you can let me make it up to you.

Sincerely,
Chel Ramsey aka Ivory
TSSIvory is offline   Reply With Quote

The Seventh Sun - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seventh Sun? pwyll Tavern of the Blue Hand 9 03-23-2008 11:06 PM
The Seventh Sun thalin Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 08-27-2006 07:51 PM