Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Saire

Saire is on a distinguished road
Just bored, help

I have played the same MUD for 3 years or so.. something like that? Almost 3 any way. I love the game for the RP but the rest bores the hell out of me. I can't stand the grinding for levels and at the pace I manage to go it takes.. forever.. to get a level or anything. I"m just kind of done with that side of the game. But yes I love the RP. So i will stay with that for the RP

ANYWAY

I would love a MUD that has some RP.. pretty good RP and some other activities that are fun but don't take ages to get my character into something new! thanks!

I like a MUD codebase not MUSH it is way too confusing for me... uhm.. not many other specifics in genre or anything. I like a pretty original world. I like a kind of unique levelling system instead of "practice x 100 times" I don't mind some hack & slash elements if there is good RP... I would prefer something to immerse me in the beginning rather than a MUD school but either way I can deal with that I think.
Saire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Cor

Cor is on a distinguished road
Re: Just bored, help

I know what you mean about RP games with an absurd grind that, honestly, makes no sense in a roleplaying-enforced game.

Shattered Kingdoms is an RP game but leveling goes at a decent pace. The skill system is practice-oriented, with the caveat that you can (and are probably better off to) learn from other players. I never got too far involved in the game but I hear that it combines RP and PK pretty well.

Forgotten Kingdoms is similar, but is more D&D oriented if you like feats, memorizing spells, and a fairly fleshed-out representation of Faerun (which, admittedly, docks it from the 'original world' point).

IRE games aren't RP-enforced but more often than not they have decent roleplayers (especially Lusternia), and advancement isn't terrible there either. Like SK, other characters can teach you. Of course, they have microtransactions which may scare some off.

--

Conversely, you'd probably want to stay away from New Worlds or Threshold, as they are RP games that literally take forever to advance meaningfully (if you're not playing one of them already). Decent places for roleplay, but the grind is grueling.

Hopefully some of these suggestions help, or at least point you in the right direction.
Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road

Try Armageddon.

No newbie areas, you just enter the world and there you are. But there are helpers, you can come to, if not 24 hours a day, pretty near.

Because it's a mud there is still a need to use skills to develop skills. But I think the community helps with a lot of that by turning those uses into rp opportunities.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Saire

Cor yep you got it right, , I am a part of one of those games ;-)

These suggestions are pretty good. I am not sure which I will try. Armageddon sounds too interesting not to at least log onto and look around so.. that will probably be my first attempt! Thank you
Old 08-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

Armageddon has a submission process - and it's really REALLY REALLY and sincerely and truly (no kidding, not vague, very clear) recommended that you start out as a human, and point to either Allanak or Tuluk for your starting location once your character has been approved.

You'll want to read up at least some summary info, but here's a brief summary of the summaries:

Half-elves are treated ICly like pariahs. By everyone. Including most other half-elves. Anyone who gets cozy with a half-elf - is treated even worse, because everyone knows, that half-elves are treated like pariahs and that other person dared to go against the grain.

Elves are thieves. All of them, without exception. This isn't a skill thing - has nothing to do with the coded skillset of stealing (although some of them might indeed have that skill). It's a cultural thing. They pride themselves in their ability to relieve other people of things - dignity, freedom, items, coins - coming out at the better end of a deal, or yes - just flat out stealing or robbing your apartment.

It's permanent death, the emote system is complex but you'll benefit most from understanding these symbols:

~!@#% (tilde, exclamation point, at sign, hashtag, percentage sign).

There are extensive web-based help files that are replicated in the game itself with the "help" command.

The command OOC is the only "ooc channel," and it isn't a channel, it's just a command that allows you to convey your question to whoever is in the room at the time, and for them to respond. It is used sparsely.

Magicks are considered dangerous and unpredictable, and mages are either rogues, or gemmed. In Tuluk they are killed on sight. In Allanak they wear a gem around their throats to ensure that everyone who encounters them, knows they're mages and will respond accordingly.

In Allanak, you bow to nobles and templars. In Tuluk, you nod politely/politely/respectfully/briefly or similar.

There is no "religion" but the terror of the Sorcerer King of Allanak, Tektolnes, is equally as cultish as the reverence and awe given to His Radiance, Muk Utup of Tuluk.

Day-to-day plotlines are created and driven almost exclusively by the characters portrayed by normal every day players. Some of them might be assisted by the staff, but only when and if they feel it necessary to get involved. There are world-changing events going on presently, that had some heavy staff involvement, but the plotlines themselves were (and still are) driven by players.

Commands to know: stand, sit, sit table/pillows/cot (etc), rest, rest pillows/bed (etc), tell, talk, say, contact, psi, break, hitch inix, mount, rest inix, stand inix, rent inix, offer ticket. Wield, hold, ep/es/etwo, remove, sheath, draw, load, unload. n s e w u d enter leave. get, drop, put, pour, eat, drink. think feel emote. skills, stat, score, eq, inv, look me, look amos, look amos's cloak (replace "amos" with any other character or mob).

That should get you started, and give you plenty to read up on during the (up to 24 hours) period you're waiting for your character to get approved!

Believe me, it's TOTALLY worth reading it, and if you don't read it, you might spend your first few hours in the game totally and utterly lost and feeling very unsure about what your character can/should "do."

Also, make copious use of the helper system, - on the right, around 1/2 way down the page, you can click to get "live help" from players who have volunteered to man the one-on-one help chat system. And take a gander at their community forum, which is called the GDB (general discussion board).

Good luck!

Last edited by Jazuela : 08-31-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Saire

Well it was not at all what I described but.. I didn't end up trying Armageddon I decided it was too harsh for my tastes.

I ended up trying Materia Magica just out of curiousity since it was been around forever. It is really fun!!! I haven't had this much fun Mudding in a long time. The NPCs and quests are fun to interact with and I am enjoying it a lot.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Jazuela

It was very much as you described. Or at least, how it was interpreted. You wanted an immersive RP environment, where skill-grinding takes a back seat to roleplay. You asked for:

I would love a MUD that has some RP.. - Armageddon has that.
pretty good RP - Armageddon has it.
and some other activities that are fun but don't take ages to get my character into something new- Armageddon has that.

I like a MUD codebase not MUSH - Armageddon is a DIKU - aka - not a MUSH or similar.
I like a pretty original world. - Armageddon is unique, a hybrid loosely based on the Dark Sun campaign of D&D, and Frank Herbert's Dune.
I like a kind of unique levelling system instead of "practice x 100 times" - Armageddon has no levels at all, but it does have coded skills that can improve with use.
I don't mind some hack & slash elements - it's a DIKU - the combat system is based on good old fashioned H&S combat, though it's modified to fit an immersive RP environment, and includes "artificial intelligence" mob progs.
if there is good RP... I would prefer something to immerse me in the beginning rather than a MUD school but either way I can deal with that I think. - there is no mud school in Armageddon.

And so - Armageddon fits every single bit of criteria you mentioned. Perhaps you are looking for things you didn't mention.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Juason

Home MUD: Dragonrealms
Juason is on a distinguished road

You have expressed criticism regarding Dragonrealm's cost before, but I'd still recommend it. If anything the daily RP events should hold your interest for a few decades and in the absence of events the combat, crafting and massive game world are there to keep you busy. At the moment we have probably a dozen GMs running events each day with multiple characters and provinces. Politics, intrigue, love triangles, lost orphans, war, necromancy... we got it! The development GMs also periodically jump in to have some fun.

You are already familiar with the hybrid skill/circle system and I've mentioned before how we've removed wall ranks, mind-states and allowed draining of experience while logged out to remove the grind feel of the thing. You still need to use skills to learn them, but circling from 1-100 is accelerated so new players can quickly gain access to mid-game content.

Hope you find what you are looking for and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or have any feedback if you do choose to play!
Juason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
ww_crimson

Home MUD: Aarchon
ww_crimson is on a distinguished road

It's been a while since I tried creating a character so I may be mistaken, but IIRC Armageddon had a massively long and indepth chargen process. If the game itself is anything like that, it maybe is just a bit more serious than OP was looking for.
ww_crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Jazuela

I don't consider it massively long...
You put in your character's name, main skillset and subskillet (called guild and subguild), race and gender. Then you give it a main description (Armageddon doesn't use templates - you write your own, with a minimum of 4 lines and I think there's a max of something insane like 30 lines but no one ever goes -that- long). You include a short description - what people will see if they walk into the room: the green-haired short elf, or the skinny pockmarked man, etc.

You add a general background - it can be just 4 lines long, or it can be in-depth if you want it to. Height, weight, then decide if you want to prioritize stats or let the game do a random dice roll.

Submit it, and then wait for a staff member to approve or reject it. THAT can take up to 24 hours but usually isn't nearly that long, and doesn't require you do "do" anything other than check your e-mail from time to time to see if you received the approval/rejection.

The entire process of submitting the character application can take as little as 10 minutes or as long as an hour - depends on how fast you can come up with descriptions and how fast you type, really. I usually do mine in around 15 or 20 minutes at the most, because I edit and re-edit the main descriptions a few times before I'm satisfied with the results (my main descs are usually between 6-10 lines though on occasion I've gone over by a few).
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

Armageddon is a harsh and brutal game, both ICly and OOCly, even if you play the recommended human/newbie class combination. It's exciting in that you'll find yourself back in chargen if you say the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time (ICly or OOCly), because your character is dead and gone.

Also don't look to Armageddon to do anything to immerse you in the game, except only to dump lots of flavor text on you. "Harsh desert world," "only tough and mature people play," "we're the only good game out there," and all that advertising baloney gets thrown around a lot.

You asked for a unique leveling system without the practice 100 times thing, well Armageddon doesn't do that. If you want to improve you have to train everything, over and over, until you get an improvement. It's very grindy, especially when you're not involved in who-killed-who or who's-trying-to-kill-me role play. Be prepared for people to randomly pick fights with you, probably because schools are taking a tougher anti-bullying attitude and they need to bully someone.

It's a highly stressful game, and it's one of those games where it seems like people keep playing and making new characters even though . If you want a game so stressful that you grind your teeth in your sleep because your character will be permanently dead if he happens to get himself killed, then it might be for you. Not everyone wants high-stress role play, though.

The Armageddon people here just want more bodies in their game (because misery loves company), so they post everywhere regardless of what people ask for.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
Fifi

I'm sorry you didn't have fun. Arm is hard. It's not for everyone. But almost everything else you've said is untrue and insulting. Could you make an attempt to rein in the rudeness? I don't like most games. I could get on the boards and explain why I have subjective opinions as if they were objective facts too.

Arm is hard. It's hard because it's important to the people who have been playing for the last two decades to maintain the game world consistency and the persistent RP environment. And because it's harsh it is sometimes hard for some characters to be as welcoming to a pc played by a new player as we'd sometimes like.

It is not true that it's oocly hard to break into. We won't change the game for a new player. But we will do everything we can to ease new players into the game we love. The home page has a link to live help. There is usually someone on 24 hours a day.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
dark acacia
Banned

I actually did play Armageddon for a while.

It *is* true that the skill system is grindy if you want to improve, and that's what Saire (the topic creator) doesn't really want. You'll want to work on your best skills in Armageddon if you don't want to be useless, although if you want some people take the path of the prostitute, in which case I give you this link:

It *is* true that the role play is highly stressful, owing to the permanent death and how many people seek conflict with others. If you don't mind this kind of stress, then have at it.

It *is* true that people are often crabby OOCly, and that there are quite a few people who don't seem like they're having fun but play anyway.

It *is* true that there's a lot of advertising baloney. Just look at the quotes on the homepage of the Armageddon website. It's the same kind of stuff everyone says about their own game.

It *is* true that there is little assisted immersion, outside of all of the flavor text.

It *is* true that there are people who are looking to bully, pick fights with, and possibly kill other people, for fun. The most obvious example is that the Templars are built completely around this concept. Sure, they're the lawdogs, but the law they usually like to enforce is the one about not ****ing one of them off. If you're an elf, just playing one is enough to get them on you. You can get around the Templars often enough, but again this goes towards the highly stressful nature of the game.

Last edited by dark acacia : 09-03-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Fifi

Again, I'm sorry you didn't have a better time.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
dark acacia
Banned

It has nothing to do with my personal experience with Armageddon and everything to do with getting people to quit shilling their game to people who are looking for something else.