Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-10-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
Raeven

Raeven is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Ok, I figured I should post a message for all those people out there that are searching for a MUD but cannot find one that meets their certain criteria.
Daedal Macabre is a RPK mud that is unlike any that I have really come across. It is not a WoT mud, LoTR mud, or modeled after any other muds out there (or at least muds that I have come across).
It is a medival/fantasy mud that has a restricted PK system (as in you don't have to be a part of it, and even if you are there are rules in place to prevent twinking).
The clan system is fun, each with their own way of doing things and unique item(s)/skill(s). They war with each other and depending on RP and player interaction they switch alligences and enemies (this keeps one clan from warring with another on a constant basis, although some wars last a long time).
Overall this mud is awesome, although there are some things about it that I don't like, I am to lazy to list them here, especially since I would rather not think about them. But there is nothing about the mud that is unbareable, and the good highly outweighs the bad.
There is an immortal logged in about 95% of the time so it makes it easy to report twinkers/bugs/any problems you might have and get them dealt with asap.

Feel free to come and check it out if you can't find a mud that suites your tastes, maybe DM will be the one.

I have been playing it for well over a year and I just keep coming back for more.

If anyone has any questions involving DM please feel free to post a reply.

Raeven,  DM Rep/Player.
Raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
My only question at this time, is why you chose to post your ad for your game in the Builder's Forum. I didn't see anything in your ad saying you were looking for builders, or had a question about building.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
(10 June 2000, Colorado) A gentleman in Denver decided that since he couldn't find a human dance partner, he would make do with an ostrich. Yes, an ostrich. Not a duck -- they only know disco. Not a Rhode Island Red -- communists all of 'em. But an ostrich. So he did what any other person with such a yen would do. He went to an ostrich farm, climbed a ten-foot fence, and tried to catch one.

If you can imagine Julio Iglesias singing "To All the Chicks I've Loved Before," let that be the soundtrack for this story. The man and ostrich intertwined like, well, a man and ostrich, and started slow dancing. However, when the dance pace picked up to "Livin' La Vida Loca," the big bird decided that the Arthur Murray dance course wasn't worth the money and began to flap and peck away at the man. Our moron decides to run away from the bird.

Wrong move.

Ostriches have a herd mentality. When one runs, they all run, and their path was right on the tail of our clumsy hero. He decides to fall to the ground and play dead, forgetting that ostriches have really strong legs, and when multiple pairs of them are kicking the stuffing out of you, you really don't have much of a chance.

The owner of the farm finally noticed the racket and called 911 to report the first ever Ostrich hoedown on a human dance floor. The man was rescued from a certain death, but remains in the hospital with pretty much everything broken.

And the moral?
"Don't slow dance with an ostrich."
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
I used to play on DM (hence this abbreviation to me gets me thinking of Daedal M, not DartMud). Now, that was a while ago, so I don't know how things have changed, but it was a decent MUD then. One of the problems it had then was a disinterested owner (Yuki). I'm not sure how that has changed, if he came back and began work on it again, or if someone else took over. If no one major has left since I was there, which I highly doubt since the game was losing it's dedicated players fast, I can also vouch for several of the players. Most of them had a good sense of humor, good ideas, and overall were helpful in making the MUD better. The immortals were also pretty nice, and helped whenever they could. There was _some_ roleplay, but not much. The staff tried it's hardest to encourage it.

Finally, some unique features such as studying to change a spell's damage and name, a beautifully designed Monk class, an original craft system with many, many possible results, and Dragons, which can grow from hatchling to great wyrm with much work by the player (not recommended for novices), all lend themselves to DM's unique feel. This is bolstered by an excellently built and thought out world.

I'd at least recommend trying it out, if you don't mind a game where there isn't much RP. It was a good home for me for a while. I'm probably biased because of this, but oh well.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
Raeven

Ok, first of all, I didn't know it was a builders forum. Secondly, I don't understand the whole slow dancing with an ostrich thing, sounds like it is more like the nightmare of a psychotic murderer.
But besides that, and replying to the last post.

Yuki is still the owner, that hasn't changed, but the mud is mostly run by other imms (Acies, Turgonus, Dynal, Cena, Karidar, Nykroth, and a few others).
In reply to the RP, it has really stepped up since I joined. Clans are more involved now and RP is much easier to come by. One thing about the RP is that you won't always find RP if you don't look for it, you have to be willing to RP by either joining clans, or selling your services (as I have done with my assassin on several occassions).

One last thing, if you are not one of the kinds of people I have aforementioned (people searching for a fun MUD with pretty good RP/imms/players.and so forth, or you don't have a question, then don't bother posting. I don't really appreciate in when people post replies basically critisizing my posts.
Though the whole builders forum thing I didn't mind, just because I wasn't aware that this was a builders forum and it wasn't critisizing my post.

Raeven.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
GenmaC

GenmaC is on a distinguished road
I would request that you refrain from using the internet while you have this attitude.
GenmaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #7
Raeven

I meant no offence by it, just reminding people that it is not polite to talk trash about people posts for no reason.
Hope you didn't take offence to it, and I don't understand how you could because it was pretty mellow of a post... ohh well.
Continue.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #8
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Raeven, this is a public forum, and people will post what they will. You don't reinforce your MUD's position by asking for this not to happen, because the primary function of these forums is to facilitate discussions within the MUDing community.

I'm very glad to hear things have improved on the RP front. If you re-read my post, you'll see that overall, it was positive.

Now when you say something like this, people naturally assume that there is something you're trying to hide. I was simply stating what problems I perceived in the game when I decided to quit, to clear things up, and possibly avoid misunderstandings. While you may not think your MUD's problems are unbearable, others might disagree. One of the problems I had with it was that it had levels, and classes. I intensely dislike both of those things, but they may be the best thing (or the only option) in the world for you.

I kindly suggest you list the problems you have with DM, and that if you plan to advertise in the future, do so when you are not "to lazy". It just makes your post seem more honest if you list at least some of your MUD's pitfalls, because _every_ MUD has them.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:47 AM   #9
Treestump

Treestump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Treestump
Treestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:12 PM   #10
Raeven

True Treestump mah man, sorry bout that guys, I was having a bad day if it makes any difference.
I still urge you guys to come check it out, you would probably be impressed, and if you aren't then the mud isn't for you.
What do ya have to lose?
Old 03-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #11
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Holy crap, paint my face red, will ya. My apologies if anyone read my post before I edited it. I didn't realize the thread had been moved to the correct folder.

Again - my apologies.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
Raeven

Hey, don't sweat it. Most of us don't mind.... I think.
In case anyone is trying to visit Daedal Macabre and can't seem to get into it, it is because it has been locked up due to a rather large bug that just appeared outta nowhere. We are currently working on getting this fixed so bear with us, should be done by the end of the day.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:29 AM   #13
Acies

Acies is on a distinguished road
Raeven actions and opinions do not repesent the mud, please don't let him ruin your opinion of DM, although we do have a group of annoying, twinkish players many are actually intelligent, and fun to play with.
Acies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #14
Raeven

Man Acies, I missed your sexy-beastness. I am just tossing DM in the air for people looking for a mud, don't sweat it man.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:56 PM   #15
Yuki

Yuki is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yuki
Long time no post. I think after the corruption of stuff like 2 years ago when everything was reset I just lost interest in posting. Anywho...

Eagelon is right that I lost interest. After logging some 13,000 hours at point into coding, administration, and everything else, you lose interest. I think I'm somewhere around 17,500 now.

Am I still interested? I am interested in keeping the server up and running, the game up and running, any major bugs gone, the general populace content, the administration in line, and gently guide things that seem to need guiding.

Levels... I hate them. There are so many things I dislike about Daedal Macabre because I am very self critical. Having some decent-to-good artistic talent in real life, the same mindset of being critical of your own work bleeds over. There is so much I would change about DM, especially since it is the first mud I ever created, ran, and poured my heart and soul into.

Now, a problem arises. I'm no longer in college. I can no longer put in 10-16 hour a day coding frenzies for months upon a time (that's how all those hours racked up quickly,) and I find that life is more than coding away for a mud. Job, financial security, future, girlfriend, personal happiness, and lack of stress all contribute to this.

Someday, somewhere, somehow, I'll probably start a mud from scratch again.

Is Daedal Macabre a good mud? For a long time, I didn't think it was that great, even though I was the owner of it and coded probably 80-90% of it. A few times I went to other muds just to see the atmosphere, and occasionally even helped them with a coding jam. I think that really opened my eyes up to see that instead of just being an above-mediocre mud, it more like an above average, perhaps below really good mud. Maybe just plain good without much adjective-ity involved.

Downfalls:
people sometimes don't roleplay.
AOL accounts are allowed (occasional retard player)
We're very nice and lenient (said retard player gets chances to improve, often keeping them around longer)

Trying to be objective here, but...
Personal Thoughts: combat system is stock/plain. still has levels. dragons, while neat, are not unique enough.

Positives:
Ability to customize -every- spell
Various ways to level without needing combat
We are very nice and lenient (goes both ways I guess)
Some interesting classes/races
Crafting system I like (could always improve)

There's a lot more for good and bad, but it would have to be personal opinion on the matter. I somehow doubt that any other sole (or maybe even co-) mud owner/programmer doesn't think his mud could be so much better, else they'd just stop coding and call it a 'finished product' or something.

If you are looking for a mud to try out, and aren't a RPI fanatic, but are willing to at least roleplay your race, class, sex, and some semblance of not you and not a mass murderer or ####### (yes, people have said they are roleplaying an ####### that's why they are such penile-implants to everyone and everything in the game, etc.) well, try it out. Don't just login, say eeewwww they have a hassan mob and quit, at least look around, get a feel, learn some stuff.

Anyhow, yah, this was long enough I think. I should get like +5 posts for this.
Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #16
Raeven

And this is all I wanted to say.
Have fun kids.

Daedal Macabre - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daedal Macabre Triple Experience Weekend! Yuki Advertising for Players 0 09-03-2006 04:48 PM
Daedal Macabre Promotional Weekend!!! Yuki Advertising for Players 0 06-30-2006 03:57 PM
Daedal Macabre Server has moved! Yuki MUD Announcements 0 01-21-2006 12:45 PM
Daedal Macabre is back up! Yuki Advertising for Players 0 11-06-2005 10:03 AM
Daedal Macabre new Supercomputer for server!! Yuki Advertising for Players 2 07-30-2002 05:31 AM