Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 05-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Hannibal

Hannibal is on a distinguished road
Greetings. I'd like to build a MU*

Hello there,

Couldn't find a nickname on the fly so I figured I'll go with the old fashioned.

I found this site purely using google. A veteran roleplayer here, who always dreamed of having a MU*. I hope I am in the right place. There are questions I have to all of you in matters of expertise, rules, conduct, character death and consent, as well as code. Though, the MU* would be heavily roleplay oriented, and therefore no heavy coding would be needed. As for coding, I may have two interested parties through a friend, but I am sure I will learn quite a bit myself here.

What I will be working on (this saturday purchasing a Host, by the way, where should I ask which host would be best? I've looked at several websites, their prices vary from $50 per year with 3 days down time to $100 dollars per year with no downtime). And so will begin my work.

The MU* is a heavily roleplay oriented Adult MU* (18+ players). I don't really like calling it an "Adult" MU* because it brings quite disturbing thoughts towards the existing MU*s with far less class. In truth, what I'd like it to be is Heavy, intense RP, in which all aspects of humanity are liberated by imagination.

It will be built in a grid that I'm using for personal purposes of writing. In a way, I am going to build a world of my own making - a steampunk type London with varying districts, where both Victorian prim and proper ladies and gentlemen can stroll through the Trafalgar square, but where only a few districts down, fishnet-wearing, needle-stabbing metal-heads are listening to grungy music and mingling with chaos.

Having never *staffed*, I'm truly doing this project for a friend, and for myself (building wise). Ultimately my dream is to build it, and step away, leaving it in capable hands, so I may enjoy roleplaying while knowing that the MU* will not turn into a pile of feces.

Now.. for the questions. What section should I ask them under? I know coding would be under coding and such, but what about MU* building, and 'rules of conduct' sections and overall advice and opinions of players and staff who are more experienced on matter of consent and character death?

And with this I say again, Hello.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Hades_Kane

Home MUD: End of Time
Hades_Kane is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Hades_Kane
Re: Greetings. I'd like to build a MU*

Hello!

My first bit of advice would be to look into a few free MUD hosts as there are many out there that basically server as "starter hosts" and give you a chance to get your feet wet first and see if it's going to progress to the point of needing paid hosting.

As far as the specific sections of where specific questions would go, I'm not really sure off the top of my head, I don't post here that much and tend to stick to a couple of other, more active MUD forums.

I will say having never staffed anywhere before, you are facing an uphill battle in figuring it all out in trying to start one.

Have you picked a codebase? Are you going from scratch? Program language?

If other replies are a bit slow around here, you may look into a couple of other forums, too.
Hades_Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Hannibal

Hannibal is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your response, Hades.

I'm not quite sure where to find "free" hosts. I've decided on a smaller project instead, before I go all out on the bigger one. The smaller would be a "Hannibal" MU*, which would allow realistic select Feature Characters, as well as originals. The object will be an Adult Horror/Crime oriented MU* set in a realistic city or cities. I haven't picked a codebase but I know that I'd like it to be a Mush and not a Mud if that helps. It'll have very light, very easy coding, no character sheets other than +finger and +info. I am relying solely on player's imaginations and good will to make it a roleplay MU*, not a battle MU*, and the little staff we will have will see that roleplay is realistic.

So if you could tell me where I can find a 'free' host that would be lovely. Otherwise I'll just buy a little place for 50 bucks for the whole year and go from there . Also, what other forums are there that are more active?
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Hades_Kane

Home MUD: End of Time
Hades_Kane is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Hades_Kane

The other two forums I would check out would be mudconnect.com and mudbytes.net.

There have been, specifically, discussions about free hosting on both of those forums lately, and that would be a good place to start on that front.

I'm not really familiar with MUSHes myself, but mudbytes particularly tends to be pretty developer heavy as far as the forums go, so when I have a coding issue that's usually where I go, while I tend to catch TMC for most everything else. There's A LOT of overflow on users between the three main sites, but I still check here daily to see if anything pops up on the forums that isn't being discussed elsewhere.
Hades_Kane is offline   Reply With Quote